98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

I'm not that good with scripts

so what i did was installed Win Me and all its updates copy the Windows Movie Maker folder

to my Removable drive then copied it to my win98SE computer then installed the KUP

and its smooth sailin from their.Works like a charm.

Thanks.

That means [from what you say] you made MM work only after you installed KUP.

That means [deducting from what you said] MM cannot work properly without KUP, therefore unfortunately I can't add it into 98SE2ME. :(

Thanks

What i mean by adding movie maker is giving it its own option

like option 9 or something for those who does used the KUP can install Windows Movie Maker

without having to use my long a@@ method.Even though it only works with the KUP

it would be nice to still have it as a option for those who want it

NOT TRYING 2 STRESS YOU :thumbup

Heres another suggestion

I'm a 98SE2ME power user (I won't run windows 98SE without it)

and would like to use a lot of functions

that require option 3 but don't wanna change my UI

Now with the KERNEL UPDATE PROJECT I am able to use such functions.

What do you think about addin a option X for the 98SE2ME/KUP users

option X(xtras) would add components that require shell32.dll:SHGetFolderPathW/A

Like you said in your Readme

Option 3 may cause instability.Now I've been usin KUP since the beginin and haven't

any problems that option 3 might cause. :thumbup

Please consider my suggestion :blushing:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Heres another suggestion

I'm a 98SE2ME power user (I won't run windows 98SE without it)

and would like to use a lot of functions

that require option 3 but don't wanna change my UI

Now with the KERNEL UPDATE PROJECT I am able to use such functions.

What do you think about addin a option X for the 98SE2ME/KUP users

option X(xtras) would add components that require shell32.dll:SHGetFolderPathW/A

Like you said in your Readme

Option 3 may cause instability.Now I've been usin KUP since the beginin and haven't

any problems that option 3 might cause.

Please consider my suggestion

I don't know if you have tried to install 98SE2ME option 3 after installing KUP [KernelXP current release]. I have. And I got multiple errors upon reboot, when the WinME DLLs tried to register themselves thru regsvr32, using RunOnceEx registry values found in RSTR3F.INF under the [3M] section, which refers to the AddReg [WW] section. :(

After I restored original kernel32.dll + shell32.dll from before installing KUP I reinstalled option 3 and all went perfect, no errors.

Therefore, unfortunately I cannot recommend 98SE2ME users to install/use KUP until it will become more stable, and most errors will be fixed.

About adding another option to 98SE2ME to include extra functions [supported by KUP] that depend on KUP:

adding more WinME components [system files] requires thorough testing, and not testing with KUP installed, but with unmodified system files. Testing with KUP installed is not an option, because not everybody wants to install/use KUP. Besides, such add-ons/inclusion is/are not relevant nor appropriate to the purpose of 98SE2ME = please review my previous quote from READ1ST.TXT about the scope of 98SE2ME; plus please see above about the bugs encountered while installing option 3 with KUP installed.

And as I said before [and which is also stated in READ1ST.TXT = please review related FAQ section for details], there are no other WinME components that I can think of that would work properly with Win98 SE OS, besides the ones already included in 98SE2ME.

Please see my previous posts about Movie Maker not working properly with unmodified WinME system files.

Just because you like to use KUP and 98SE2ME option 3, that doesn't mean everybody else likes to use KUP and/or option 3, so I can't force everybody to do this based on 1 person's preferences.

I hope you understand. ;)

And I'm sure you would understand this even better if you would try to put yourself in the position of some1 who creates, experiments, maintains and tries to fine tune for several years a package like 98SE2ME, which is almost as complex as installing an entire OS.

HTH

All these files have been compared either by its version or by it modified dates

which is newer than win98se files

all 98SE2ME users get ready to test

Files that are not listed is because its version was newer than Win98\ME

All Wmi files from WinME are newer than Win98SE

WinMe Version 1.50.1164.0

Win98SE Version 1.50.1085.0001

Its best to install 98SE files 1st then all patches then WinMe files becuz 98SE install files WinMe doesn't.

REGSVR32.EXE from 98SE2ME does not install in my system directory.I have the original version.

Also none of the Dos tools you replace are no where on my hard drive after deletion of the 98SE2ME folder.CHOICE.COM, FIND.EXE, MEM.EXE, MOVE.EXE,START.EXE

XCOPY32.EXE ATTRIB.EXE, IMGVIEW, XCLONE.EXE

I have ALL original versions.

I have been checking files 1x1

... Continuation from post#525

All these files have been compared either by its version or by it modified dates

which is newer than win98se files

all 98SE2ME users get ready to test

Files that are not listed is because its version was newer than Win98\ME

I'm sorry, you need to more explicit and post more details, I don't understand what you want me to do with that long list of files.

About the order in which system updates/patches/SPs/etc should be installed before or after 98SE2ME, please review READ1ST.TXT, the "FAQ" section:

READ1ST.TXT

I have tested most WMI files from WinME with 98SE a while back, and didn't work. That's why I didn't add them to 98SE2ME.

Did you test all WMI files from WinME to make sure they work properly with 98SE?

Please review the "FAQ" section in READ1ST.TXT:

READ1ST.TXT

to learn about why I didn't add more/other WinME system files/components to 98SE2ME, and to learn about the necessity of thorough testing of single files or batches of related/interdependent files, to make sure every single file works properly with 98 SE.

Regsvr32.exe is automatically copied from C:\9!M to %windir%\system upon every time 98SE2ME.EXE is installed and also every time 98SE2ME.PIF [which runs 98SE2ME.BAT] is run.

These are the batch lines from 98SE2ME.BAT, you can test them yourself to make sure they work:

IF EXIST %windir%\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE C:\9!M\ATTRIB.COM/B +A -H -R -S %windir%\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE>NUL

IF EXIST C:\9!M\REGSVR32.EXE COPY/Y/Z C:\9!M\REGSVR32.EXE %windir%\SYSTEM>NUL

They do work on my computer and on everybody else's computers I've tested them on.

The DOS tools I'm using in 98SE2ME are NOT copied anywhere, except for a few, which are copied to %windir%\INF , only for the purpose of uninstalling option 3 even after 98SE2ME is uninstalled from C:\9!M .

And after option 3 is uninstalled, they are all deleted from %windir%\INF .

If you take a look at the "FREE TOOLS" section from READ1ST.TXT:

READ1ST.TXT

and at this fragment from the "KNOWN BUGS + FIXES" section:

BUG [NOT related to 98SE2ME]:

One of 98lite options:

http://www.litepc.com/

and some users removed completely and/or renamed %windir%\COMMAND [usually

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND] + ALL its files which are NECESSARY for 98SE2ME and many

other programs PROPER operation.

FIX:

I have replaced them with all the extra tools listed under "FREE TOOLS"

chapter further below.

you'll notice that I'm using those DOS tools only for the purpose of helping install 98SE2ME options/components and to make sure all operations perform properly, not just to install them, because they do not constitute the purpose of the 98SE2ME package [please review READ1ST.TXT ("FAQ" section) for details on the meaning and purpose of 98SE2ME as a replacement/"transplant" package].

If you wish to copy any of those files from C:\9!M to any location on your hard drive(s), please feel free to do so.

I also urge you to review the "FAQ" section in READ1ST.TXT whenever you have time, for detailed explanations about other/similar/more issues/questions/wishes/requests/etc you might be wondering/wanting to know about:

READ1ST.TXT

Also, to learn which files are installed by all 98SE2ME options, please review the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" section in READ1ST.TXT:

READ1ST.TXT

I'm sure if you do, you will find answers to at least [some of] your questions/requests/suggestions/etc, and you will also understand better the meaning/purpose of the 98SE2ME package, and also what kind of testing is required to make sure everything works as bug-free as possible.

Thanks for your time.

HTH

I just reinstalled 98SE2ME and REGSVR32.EXE installed properly

but at 1st i didn't have it on my system thanx :thumbup

I think i might have missed some of your points and you might have missed some of mines

what i mean by a (X)tras is

EXAMPLE:

if i wanted to installed Windows Movie Maker,Infared Monitor,etc

I would be forced to install option 3 which changes my UI & its So So buggy which i don't won't at the present time.

But by me using KUP these same files are functional without option 3 installed, meaning i would

like to use these files without being forced to installed option 3 which may cause system conflict errors/instability with the KUP

I hope you understand

this would be a (Xtras) option for 98SE2ME/KUP users. :thumbup:thumbup

SORRY BOUT THE LONG FILE LIST

I didn't know if you had test some of those files

Now 98SE2ME users can test the files that you haven't

also a lot of the files i have listed does work on win98SE

that are not included in 98SE2ME

my test method if different from yours i'm sure.

This is how i test

I check every program on my system thats installed to see

if everything is working which it does.

Before and After a new app installation i do the same check

to see if it caused any problems

This is how I am able to detect a problem if any.

Also i installed KUP with 98SE2ME option 3 successfully without Unicode support.YOU MUST NOT INSTALL UNICODE SUPPORT.

Also with option 3 installed the icon arrows reappear, can you fix this.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

These are the WMI files i replaced beacuse they are newer than the installed by

Win98SE I've realize WMI.EXE doesn't install the files so i replaced them 1 by 1

http://rapidshare.de/files/22665508/Wmi.zip.html

For completeness:

Official download from Microsoft - version 1.50.1085.5

Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) CORE 1.5 (Windows 95/98)

Software Requirements:

1. Microsoft® Internet Explorer version 5 or later

2. Operating System: Windows 95, 98, 98SE

File Size: 3,101,672 bytes

File Date: 1-Feb-2000

File Version: 1.50.1085.5

Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) CORE 1.5 (Windows 95/98/NT 4.0)

Software Requirements:

1. Microsoft® Internet Explorer version 5 or later

2. Operating System – Windows 95, 98, 98SE, NT4 (SP4 or greater)

File Size: 6,710,736 bytes

File Date: 12-May-2000

File Version: 1.50.1085.5

Files from Windows Me uploaded by PROBLEMCHYLD:

Files Date: 8-Jun-2000

Files Version: 1.50.1164.0

CIMWIN.DLL from Q285895

File Date: 26-Jan-2001

File Version: 1.50.1085.0048

WBEMPROX.DLL from Q282949

File Date: 9-Jan-2001

File Version: 1.50.1085.0045

I.e. the files from Q282949 and Q285895 are newer than files in Windows Me, but with lower version number.

Petr

I just reinstalled 98SE2ME and REGSVR32.EXE installed properly

but at 1st i didn't have it on my system thanx

I think i might have missed some of your points and you might have missed some of mines

what i mean by a (X)tras is

EXAMPLE:

if i wanted to installed Windows Movie Maker,Infared Monitor,etc

I would be forced to install option 3 which changes my UI & its So So buggy which i don't won't at the present time.

But by me using KUP these same files are functional without option 3 installed, meaning i would

like to use these files without being forced to installed option 3 which may cause system conflict errors/instability with the KUP

I hope you understand

this would be a (Xtras) option for 98SE2ME/KUP users.

SORRY BOUT THE LONG FILE LIST

I didn't know if you had test some of those files

Now 98SE2ME users can test the files that you haven't

also a lot of the files i have listed does work on win98SE

that are not included in 98SE2ME

my test method if different from yours i'm sure.

This is how i test

I check every program on my system thats installed to see

if everything is working which it does.

Before and After a new app installation i do the same check

to see if it caused any problems

This is how I am able to detect a problem if any.

Also i installed KUP with 98SE2ME option 3 successfully without Unicode support.YOU MUST NOT INSTALL UNICODE SUPPORT.

Also with option 3 installed the icon arrows reappear, can you fix this.

I apologize if I missed some of your points, but I need accurate terms/grammar/syntax if I am to understand exactly what some1 means, it's just the way my mind works. ;)

These are my thoughts regarding your comments + suggestions...

About WMI...

Thanks for taking the trouble of uploading the WMI files from ME, but it is not necessary. I do have a WinME setup CD [;)], and to obtain a full list, all one needs to do is open WBEM.INF from WinME CD [or from %windir%\INF if a WinME install is available] in Notepad, and look at the CopyFiles sections.

Please keep also in mind that in all Win98 editions [98SE included] WMI can only be installed from the internet [MS web update] as an optional component, it is not included on the 98SE setup CD:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#WMI

That's why I did not add the WinME WMI files to 98SE2ME.

I cannot ask users to install WMI from the internet [without which WinME WMI files would be useless] just because 98SE2ME wants to install the WMI files from WinME on their computers.

Think about this for a second: some users may not even have an internet connection [rare cases but true, I know somebody who never cared about the internet, and on whose computer I have installed 98SE2ME successfully] and/or may not want to/care to/worry about install(ing) WMI [for example, I don't care about WMI/WBEM, I always installed it (and then uninstalled it soon afterwards) strictly for experimental/testing purposes].

About the long list of files...

Please see this:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#NEVER

because it contains all WinME files I found to be incompatible with 98SE, and that should never be installed on 98SE OS.

This URL also included in READ1ST.TXT:

READ1ST.TXT

under the "FAQ" section [which, as I said before, is a must read if you wish to experiment with files other than the ones included in 98SE2ME]:

* I do NOT include here UNtested WinME system files, because I need to make

sure they work as trouble free as possible on as many computers as possible.

ALL WinME system files listed here:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#FME

are already part of 98SE2ME option 1 + option 2 and have been already tested

by myself and by other concerned persons [thank you guys].

WinME system files part of option 3 [see "* Option 3:" in "98SE2ME.PIF

COMPLETE GUIDE" chapter further below for complete list] are an entirely

different matter, and require SEPARATE installation + testing.

WinME system files NOT installed by 98SE2ME NOR listed at URL above were MOST

LIKELY found BUGgy and/or INcompatible with Win98 SE OS.

Please see the list of Win98 SE system files that should NEVER be replaced:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#NEVER

Certain WinME specific components like System Restore (SR) a.k.a. System File

Protection (SFP) a.k.a. Windows File Protection (WFP) or PCHealth/PCHelp (PCH)

canNOT be installed [probably without hex-modding certain files] onto Win98 SE

due to major differences in core, kernel, shell, UI etc system files code.

See "10 WINME OPTIMIZING TIPS":

http://www.mdgx.com/me1.htm#10WOT

and "UNINSTALL PCHEALTH + SYSTEM RESTORE":

http://www.mdgx.com/me1.htm#UPH

for more details.

Nevertheless, if you would like to test other system files from WinME Setup CD

which are not part of 98SE2ME on your Win98 SE computer(s), you MUST allocate

enough time for THOROUGH testing of individual files or small groups of files

separately to eliminate as many errors as possible.

The best bet is to "look" inside %windir%\INF\*.INF files using Notepad or

better plain text editor/viewer:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#TXT

and inside ACM/AX/CPL/DLL/DRV/EXE/MPD/OCX/SYS/VXD/etc system files using a hex

or resource editor/viewer:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#HEX

to figure out which files must go together and which internal code depends on

which other file(s) internal code, and ONLY after that test those particular

(groups of) files 1 at a time.

These freeware tools may help determine system files interdependencies:

- Dependency Walker:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

- Process Explorer:

http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/processexplorer.html

- CurrProcess:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cprocess.html

If your tests are successful, please post your detailed results here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46349

so we can all benefit.

Just make sure to perform such tests ONLY AFTER installing 98SE2ME system

files from option 2, and eventually option 3 IF tested files are part of

Windows Explorer, Shell + UI Controls, because certain files may DEPEND upon

OTHER [ALREADY REPLACED] WinME system files.

And don't forget to "clone" [backup] your Win98 OS BEFORE experimenting: see

"TESTING... CLONE98.PIF + 98RESTOR.BAT" chapter further below.

This also refers [as stated above] to all who would like to experiment with/test WinME files other than the ones already included in 98SE2ME.

This also states that testing of such files must be done as thorough as possible, by adding small groups of files that depend on each other as listed in the INF files and with examples of tools capable to detect/monitor such interdependencies properly.

Just by testing apps/games/tools/etc with some files [selected using any criteria other than stated here and in READ1ST.TXT] does not prove [validate] nor disproves [invalidates] a file's or group of files' (in)compatibility.

Testing system files with apps/games/tools/etc should constitute only the last step in such experiments.

If you would like to experiment with WinME files on your computer, please feel free, and if you find out that some work properly with 98SE [after testing as described above], please post here your detailed findings so we can all benefit.

IMHO:

A proper experiment should include complete step-by-step instructions on how it has been achieved and all special conditions [if any] necessary for certain files to work properly.

BTW:

Some of the executables you list are DOS tools that work only with WinME [unless you add proper setver lines to your autoexec.bat or if you hex-edit them and/or command.com/io.sys to disable OS version/build check]. Examples:

debug.exe

Deltree.exe

Diskcopy.exe

Doskey.exe

fc.exe

format.com

label.exe

more.exe

sort.exe

subst.exe

sys.com

xcopy.exe

xcopy32.exe

Please understand also that I have been testing WinME files with 98SE OS for over 5 years, which means that I have probably tested most of the files that can be tested in normal conditions on my computer and on a few others.

I cannot test certain files because of specific hardware requirements [examples: LCD monitors, DVI monitors, serial ports, certain printer types, dial-up/analog/winmodem/56k/ISDN/xDSL/satellite modems, digital cameras, USB sticks, webTV, infrared devices, wireless devices, FireWire devices and many others], because I do not have such hardware, therefore proper testing is impossible on my computer.

Other WinME files are binary identical with the ones from 98SE [mscdex.exe].

Others have less/buggy/limited/crippled functionality even if they have newer/higher version numbers.

Others don't matter, because they have identical functionality, like the clip*.* files:

CLIPBOOK.EXE

CLIPBRD.EXE

CLIPSRV.EXE

Others are older [and most likely buggy] than the files that can be installed from MS official/unofficial updates/patches/fixes/etc.

And I can go on and on, but the size of this post is becoming way too huge, and unfortunately my time is limited.

About adding movie maker [MM]...

Just because MM [and/or other few files] work(s) with KUP, doesn't make MM/other files proper candidate(s) for inclusion into 98SE2ME.

Let me explain:

Same as with WMI/WBEM, I can't force anybody to install KUP just because 98SE2ME wants to install MM/other files which work only with KUP installed, regardless if option 3 is installed or not.

And this is valid for all 98SE2ME files + options:

all users must have the choice to install unaltered WinME files which should always work with unaltered 98SE files, because [as I said before and is also stated in READ1ST.TXT] 98SE2ME is only a general purpose replacement package, not a tweak/patch/mod/similar tool/package.

The way I see this, 98SE2ME and SP2 [for example] are for everybody [general purpose]. On the other hand RP, KUP, 98lite are only for a certain "niche" audience [a.k.a. power users, tweakers] willing to experiment with different settings/files/tweaks/mods/etc.

If any1 wants to install KUP/RP/similar tweaks/mods/etc that is their choice, that's why these packages are available separately. Please understand that KUP, RP, 98lite etc have completely different purposes, and should not be mixed with 98SE2ME or SP2 or NUSB or similar packages.

And it is also important to understand that all 98SE users regardless of additional/optional/etc components/upgrades/etc should be able to install as many 98SE2ME options [except option 3, of course] as possible, without having to worry about being required to install anything else before installing 98SE2ME.

How to fix desktop icons overlay:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#PSBF

HTH

Thanks for your patience with me

the only way 4 me 2 learn is to seek and asked questions

but thanks again

I also edit the long file list and believe it got shorter

after your posted readme.txt links

but there are still a great deal of files that are not

included in 98SE2ME that works

All the files you have listed that are buggy

has been removed from the list. So you have the remains of files that are possibilties.

PLEASE take a 2nd look at the revised list.

I'm trying 2 squeeze every possible newer better file out of WinMe

so that i can to make my Win98SE the best OS ever with the help of u

and others of course.

The day i see 98SE2ME Final Build is when i will be comfortable with my OS.

:lol::thumbup B)

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2 weeks later...

I've been unable to get power management to work on this computer with Win98SE2ME installed although I've had no problem on two other computers and power management works fine on this one without Win98SE2ME. I have a feeling that if I could find an ME driver for for my monitor, it might work. Can anyone tell me how I might locate and extract a driver for my monitor from my ME setup disks?