98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

Thanks for reply MDGx, your link http://www.mdgx.com/newtip9.htm#RESTRICT set me on track to fix. Here is what I did[for posterity] Opened regedit in my puter & wifes puter[for comparision, hers only has USP 2.2]

My puter

Went to HKLM/Software/Microsoft/windows/Current Version/Policies, found 4 keys there: NonEnum, Network, Ratings, WinOldApp[NonEnum not on wifes] exported NonEnum to desktop & deleted key from Reg. On hunch next went to HKU/Default/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Policies, 3 keys: comdlg32, Explorer, WinOldApp. Opened Explorer, found Dword: NoControlPanel = hex value, exported & deleted entry. Now have working Control Panel :thumbup

Thanks for all your hard work on 98SE2ME, it's a great prgm & now that I've finally tried it I'll be using opt 3 too.

Very glad you found the fix.

Enjoy 98SE2ME. ;)

sincerely appreciate the hospitable response......... without getting into the software(s) can you possibly give me an example of a greyed out button shortcut, albeit in the registry or system folder??? i can probably take it from there and pillage my way through, living up to my name.........

thanx again............

Any shortcut to a file [not necessarily system or folder shortcut] that does not find its target file is disabled, and displays a generic icon, to let you know that you need to repair it or delete it.

For example, create a new shortcut on your desktop to winfile.exe, found in %windir% [usually C:\WINDOWS]. Then move winfile.exe to any other directory.

You will notice that after u restart Windows, or after you refresh/delete/recreate %windir%\ShellIconCache, or after you press F5 on the desktop, the winfile icon will show as a generic icon, represented by whichever shell32.dll icon is set on your computer for generic/non-existant/disabled/invalid file/folder shortcuts.

Then if u move winfile.exe back to %windir%, the icon should "fix" itself upon next restart, F5, shelliconcache repair/recreation.

Hope this helps.

:hello: welllllllll i knew if it annoyed me enuf and i poked around enuf i would come up with 'ungreying' my logitech scanner icon. dug into symantec's tech d-base and came up with some added lines in the win'ini............ :

Manually add the printer settings to the Win.ini

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type msconfig and then click OK.

3. Click the Win.ini tab.

4. Double-click the [Devices] entry.

5. Click New, and then add these two lines of text:

WinFax=WINFAX,FaxModem:

WinFax (Photo Quality)=WINFAXHQ,FaxModem:

6. Double-click the [PrinterPorts] entry.

7. Click New, and then add these two lines of text:

WinFax=WINFAX,FaxModem:,15,45

WinFax (Photo Quality)=WINFAXHQ,FaxModem:,15,45

8. Click OK, and then click Yes when prompted to restart the computer.

done........ i'm my own hero...... :blink:

welllllllll i knew if it annoyed me enuf and i poked around enuf i would come up with 'ungreying' my logitech scanner icon. dug into symantec's tech d-base and came up with some added lines in the win'ini............ :

Manually add the printer settings to the Win.ini

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type msconfig and then click OK.

3. Click the Win.ini tab.

4. Double-click the [Devices] entry.

5. Click New, and then add these two lines of text:

WinFax=WINFAX,FaxModem:

WinFax (Photo Quality)=WINFAXHQ,FaxModem:

6. Double-click the [PrinterPorts] entry.

7. Click New, and then add these two lines of text:

WinFax=WINFAX,FaxModem:,15,45

WinFax (Photo Quality)=WINFAXHQ,FaxModem:,15,45

8. Click OK, and then click Yes when prompted to restart the computer.

done........ i'm my own hero...... :blink:

Good for you, you have solved the problem yourself, and should be proud of it too. :thumbup:

First a big thank you to MGDx and Gape for all the WIN98SE upgrades. My old intel 82443BX with 100FSB and 1.2 Celeron on a slot adapter positively hums and is stable.

The video card is a Radeon 9200SE. Recently I tried replacing it with an ASUS V9520X (nvidia) card but this calls for EMM386 to be installed. I get a message to this effect at boot up. The boot process continues and installs EMM386 but then I get problems with some programs and the overall stability is affected. Can someone please help and tell me what is going on? Should I use a memory manager such as UMBPCI, or can I just 'clean' the Config.sys file and revert to a normal WIN98SE un-upgraded version, or what should I enter in the config.sys file?

My thanks again to Gape and MGDx.

First a big thank you to MGDx and Gape for all the WIN98SE upgrades. My old intel 82443BX with 100FSB and 1.2 Celeron on a slot adapter positively hums and is stable.

The video card is a Radeon 9200SE. Recently I tried replacing it with an ASUS V9520X (nvidia) card but this calls for EMM386 to be installed. I get a message to this effect at boot up. The boot process continues and installs EMM386 but then I get problems with some programs and the overall stability is affected. Can someone please help and tell me what is going on? Should I use a memory manager such as UMBPCI, or can I just 'clean' the Config.sys file and revert to a normal WIN98SE un-upgraded version, or what should I enter in the config.sys file?

My thanks again to Gape and MGDx.

The ASUS [NVidia based] card shouldn't need any memory manager [EMM386 or UMBPCI or any other 3rd party] in order to work.

But when you installed the vid card software, some utility [TSR] loaded itself from within config.sys or autoexec.bat, and that particular utility seems to require EMM386 [in other words requires expanded memory to either load or for its own memory needs].

I don't think that utility is necessary for proper operation in Windows, it's probably just a compatibility tool for DOS based video modes [?], and you can safely disable it:

REMark it by using ; in config.sys or :: in autoexec.bat in front of it followed by a space, and then reboot.

If that tool provides VESA VBE compatibility modes, you can use instead Scitech Display Doctor UNIVBE.EXE tool [freeware]:

http://www.mdgx.com/speed.htm#VGA

which if I recall correctly, doesn't require an expanded memory manager, just upper memory in order to save conventional ["low"] memory when it loads.

If your vid card already has VESA/VBE support built into its BIOS, then you don't need any such tools.

BTW:

UMBPCI.SYS does not provide/enable expanded [EMS] or extended [XMS] memory, only upper memory blocks [uMBs]:

http://www.mdgx.com/umb.htm

DOS based video tools may interfere with Windows video APIs [GDI] operation, which may result in errors and/or lockups.

Also, NVidia Forceware [universal] video drivers in current releases:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html

usually provide most video modes support to Windows apps/games, and even for DOS games played from within Windows [DOS box].

It's best [if you can help it] to avoid using such tools, unless you plan on using native/true/pure MS-DOS mode to play DOS games, for example.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello MDGx,

could you please tell me a little bit more about option 3? It's not clear why the files are seperate, or what the differences are with the new versions, or what some of the problems are that could be encountered.

In short all I really wanna know is if I will see an improvement if I install option 3

Hello MDGx,

could you please tell me a little bit more about option 3? It's not clear why the files are seperate, or what the differences are with the new versions, or what some of the problems are that could be encountered.

In short all I really wanna know is if I will see an improvement if I install option 3

Please see READ1ST.TXT [100 KB]:

READ1ST.TXT

respectively the * Option 3: section under the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" chapter.

If you want more installation details, please open these files with Notepad:

- C:\9!M\RSTR3F.INF = look under the [3M] section.

- C:\9!M\98SE2ME.BAT = look under the :X3 section.

Also, you may want to open IMGVIEW.HTT in Notepad, and look at the differences between this file and the original one from the WinME setup CD.

Hope this helps.

-puter wouldn't boot, after installing latest 98se2me... ???

---UPD: -ok, I fixed it... I removed the file u added, WINBOOT.INI... I did not have that file before, and it appears that was the culprit...

Edited by PsycoUnc

I installed your latest 11-30-05 98se2me, just running the .PIF w/out actually selecting any of the numbered options (like u said at top of this thread), just to install your "EVERYBODY MUST HAVE" tweaks/fixes, and guess what: I must be more of a "no-body" than I'd previously thought: upon reboot, NO BOOT... win tries to boot, runs the autoexec.bat, chokes on the audio dos driver install with "ERROR#3: WINBOOTDIR environment variable missing. Driver not loaded" and then I have to ctrl-c to "exit batch program?", whereas I'm dumped to a dos prompt... I REMarked that driver line out of autoexec.bat, rebooted, and just got dumped to dos prompt as if I chose to boot only to a dos prompt. Tried typing "win", and then windows tried to continue booting (the boot logo came up), but it just froze... would not boot... tried removing your mod to msdos.sys, no-go, tried scanreg /restore of backup of few hrs ago, same thing...
Sorry about that, keep forgetting not everybody has winbot.ini in C:\ root [besides msdos.sys], like I do. :(

But there no reason to panic, your Windows installation is fine, nothing was damaged. ;)

What happened is that BSRESTOR.INF [11-30-2005 edition] was creating a new WINBOOT.INI file in C:\ root [only if you didn't have it] with these 2 lines:

[Options]

SystemReg=0

and after rebooting, if winboot.ini is found in C:\ root, Win9x/ME boots from it instead booting from msdos.sys. But because [in your case] the newly created winboot.ini does not contain a [Paths] section or the 3 lines below it that should point to WinDir, WinBootDir + HostWinBootDrv locations, Windows gets confused, and pops up those error messages.

On Win9x/ME computers with winboot.ini present in C:\ root, this error doesn't occur.

If you wish to know more about winboot.ini:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip16.htm#WBINI

I have removed the winboot.ini fix, please try the 12-1-2005 edition of 98SE2ME:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

-thx for the help, sry I was a bit cranky, in a lot of pain lately with both carpal tunnel AND tendonitis (just got my 1st wrist splint brace today, sure hope it helps!), plus neck pinch, bad elbow, bad knee, bad feet, ulcerative colitis, ....... and I'm only 37!... (sigh...lol) -So when puter wouldn't even boot, I was a bit put off...

-as always, you and Gape do a great job helping all of us get/keep our good-ol' win98se in top shape, and we all greatly appreciate it :thumbup ...

Edited by PsycoUnc

-thx for the help, sry I was a bit cranky, in a lot of pain lately with both carpal tunnel AND tendonitis (just got my 1st wrist splint brace today, sure hope it helps!), plus neck pinch, bad elbow, bad knee, bad feet, ulcerative colitis, ....... and I'm only 37!... (sigh...lol) -So when puter wouldn't even boot, I was a bit put off...

-as always, you and Gape do a great job helping all of us get/keep our good-ol' win98se in top shape, and we all greatly appreciate it

I'm sincerely sorry about your troubles, and I hope you get better fast.

Please accept my best wishes.

btw:

Merry holidays + all the best for 2006. :thumbup

MDGx thanks for explaination, I ran into same prob & was gonna post, but saw PsycoUnc's and decided to see answer. As usual, you had one! Can I borrow your brain, mine seems to be sadly lacking most times[LOL!]

PsycoUnc, I feel for you, my wife has similar probs so I know the grouchy part, painful it is!

Merry Christmas & happy New Year to all :D

This isn't much good without a WinME installation disc!
And I thought every1 already knew that, ever since I started this project almost 1 year ago [Jan 20 2005]... :D

Please read the 1st post in this forum for requirements, which include a WinME setup CD or full set of *.CABs [English]:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46349

And I believe it is safe to assume you already know this is because both I and MSFN forums do NOT promote/support/allow piracy.

Otherwise, I'd just post a full ISO on warez sites. :no:

BTW:

WinME setup CDs are a dime a dozen on ebay, if u need 1.

Or u can "borrow" a friend's/coworker's/family member's CD.

Hope this helps.

MDGx ... I was getting ready to try your No.1 option (err...no.2 option, just basics) and I was wondering if I need to retain directory structure of the ME cabs, or can I just dump them all into one flat dir ...

(quote display drops tabs ... so use code ... )

Directory of: MEupgrade>Z:\*.cab
Z:\add-ons\Tsclient\icaclnt\ica32
_sys1.cab
_user1.cab
data1.cab
data2.cab
4 files; 2,324,413 bytes
Z:\drivers\Modem\IBM\Disk1
manager.cab
win.cab
winsys.cab
winsys32.cab