98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

Gape, Thanks!  HERE'S the same logos, but without the "2 Me", (you'll have to right-click/save as).  If there are other changes you would like me to make, just let me know.

edit:

Did another set while I was at it...

You can get it HERE, (right-click/save as).

Ex, I got "corrupt file" message for these RAR files. Could you check them?

Edited by Gape

Can someone help me with this problem? After installed Win98SE2ME i have a problem when i try to open a picture file.
Looks like that particular pic does not exist in that directory. :(

I got the exact same problem when I enabled "option 3". Also, the exact same thing happened when I tried the Revolution's Pack. It was more than just pictures though, it was nearly every file on my HD that got that error as well as being unable to open Control Panel, My Computer, etc. (no I didn't install RP on top of option3). This error was mentioned in my first post also.:unsure:

Gape, Thanks! HERE'S the same logos, but without the "2 Me", (you'll have to right-click/save as). If there are other changes you would like me to make, just let me know.

MDGx, Thanks for all the help. I'll have to go through that piece by piece later. I'm glad you like the logos.... sure you can use them however/wherever you want. I can also change them to suite whatever you'd like. I went with that background for my PC cause I've got a silver XP theme going on. ;)

BTW, I went ahead and installed 98SE2ME without option3 on a different PC, (HP 500MHZ PIII, 64MB RAM, onboard everything), and so far I've not noticed any problems. I also reinstalled Windows 98SE on my PC, (not a clean install though), and tried 98SE2ME without option3 again... and so far I've not noticed the major slow down like before. I used to run RegCleaner every so often, so maybe it deleted some of the entries you mentioned. To give you an idea of how it's doing now... I've not rebooted since I had Photoshop open to make those logos yesterday and it seems to be gagging when I move around the start menu, but I seem to be ok otherwise. I haven't opened my 3D modeler yet tho... that proggy is pretty taxing. Usually (with standard 98SE), I can have Photoshop open working on Textures, Zmod open working on models, and a game open testing them in-game, all at the same time without any hiccups on my PC. But thanks again for the help. With the info you gave, I'll get the kinks worked out with my PC. B)

-Ex

edit:

Did another set while I was at it...

98SESWIRL.GIF98SESWIRLW.GIF

You can get it HERE, (right-click/save as).

Well, this is the rar-file I mean, that seems to be corrupt.

allesok

That's odd... I just downloaded them from that link and they extracted fine. How many times did you try downloading? Maybe server was acting funny for a while?

Same here still... I downloaded 4 times in 3 days, no success...

Please check the files.

Best regards

allesok

Same here still... I downloaded 4 times in 3 days, no success...

Please check the files.

Best regards

allesok

The problem is in the web server where these files are located - it declare them as text files and therefore some browsers change Unix <lf> to DOS <cr><lf> sequence.

Here is the header sent by the server:

C:\>graburl -h http://www.psilocybindreams.com/WIN98SELOGOS.rar
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:24:28 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.9 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Last-Modified: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:14:00 GMT
ETag: "664cf3-1e90a-42b89f38"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 125194
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/plain

You will probably see that the size of the file on your disk is bigger than 125194 bytes.

What the server owner should do: If rar file type is not listed, then use default binary file type in config file - it is line:

DefaultType application/octet-stream

or better to add the rar file type to the list of know types, usualy it is /etc/mime.types configuration file. There is no standard for it, but here is what is sent by rarlab website:

C:\>graburl -h http://files10.rarlab.com/rar/WinRAR_Jr_32x32.1_01.theme.rar
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:09:08 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_jk/1.2.0 mod_perl/1.24_01 PHP/
4.2.2 FrontPage/5.0.2 mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
Last-Modified: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:17:00 GMT
ETag: "625090-1b78e-4257ab9c"
Content-Length: 112526
Content-Type: application/x-rar-compressed

What you can do: Try what browser/download manager does not change the file, my favourite command line tool is wget, it is originally for linux and Windows port is here: http://xoomer.virgilio.it/hherold/ .

If you want to check what headers are sent by the server, very simple tool is graburl (output shown above), the original webpage http://www.kiraly.com/software/utilities/graburl is being reworked but you can download it here: http://www.cmdtools.com/files/graburl.zip

Petr

Edited by Petr

Finally, I downloaded it.

I think the server has hotlinking protection. So, you have to copy the link manually into the browser's address bar.

Edited by Gape

-MDGx, about option #3 and customizing the windows explorer toolbar:

-? when I use option 3, I can customize, but w/out #3, the "Customize" drop-menu-option (or right-click on toolbar) is missing... ?... is the ME-Explorer the only one which allows you to customize the toolbar?  Or have I forgotton how to "unlock" that option?  I've been searching, and no luck... (frustrated)

(I can move things around, but can't get rid of buttons or add em, unless #3 is employed...)

-oh, btw, that Winoldap page fault error is back (your Shell..exitwindows... again), and this time I had the Shell...2048 already in config.sys, and my autoexec/environment was not big (working with new clean w98se install now) (note: gape's sp reboot does not error; perhaps use his way?)

-EDIT: WINOLDAP error: may be coincidence, but error went away after I copied config.dos (shell...2048) from my old install windir to new install windir (it didn't have any config.dos in there); -only problem is, I tried removing that file again, to see if the error would return, but it DIDN'T...!...?... now, I can't reproduce that error, just like with the old install, it just went away...  ?... -maybe, does having config.dos in windir somehow get copied into the registry, so that if the file is removed, the reg still keeps the data, preventing the return of the error?  I didn't do anything else to either install... weird... (again, I don't think the error caused any damage; puter still rebooted, just looked like your .bat file didn't wanna quit, for the reboot...)

ps: -I can't get rid of option #3! I didn't know that, when trying out your new versions of 98se2me, we need to FIRST UNINSTALL OPTION #3, not just uninstall 98se2me itself, otherwise the backup files made during option 3 get OVERWRITTEN, preventing an option 3 uninstall!  -now, I gotta go grab those dozen or so files manually, copy them over to *.w98, then uninstall #3 again, rite?

1. Windows Explorer toolbar can be customized only in ME, not in 98SE, unless you install 98SE2ME option 3.

In 98SE without 98SE2ME, u can customize only the IE toolbar, no matter which IE version u have.

This was another step towards achieving "perfect internet integration" [together with "Active Desktop"] MS implemented into ME.

2. Please post your config.sys + autoexec.bat [if u have any in C:\ root] contents here, maybe I can fix your winoldap problem.

Config.dos doesn't do anything [it's 9x backup of MS-DOS 5/6 C:\config.sys], unless u rename it to config.sys and place it in C:\ root.

Steps u can take to try to fix winoldap errors [without knowing more details about your specific error(s) I can't help too much]:

- if u run older DOS programs/games from within Windows, make sure u create appropriate PIF files fo each of them, eventually following the manufacturer guidelines on which kinds/amounts of memory are needed for each.

Note that there are certain DOS based programs/games that will NOT run from within Windows. In such cases, u need to exit/reboot Windows to native MS-DOS mode.

More info here:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip23.htm#WDBT

- scandisk all your HDs and fix all errors [if any].

- check device manager for errors/conflicts, red/yellow marks, try to fix them by (re)installing current drivers, or by enabling IRQ steering if not enabled.

- use Startup CPL [freeware]:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

to disable, and use Ctrl+Alt+Del to close all running apps/TSRs/processes/DLLs, except necessary ones for Windows to run properly.

3. Option 3 backs up a bunch of system files in %windir%\system\*.W98 and explorer.exe as explorer.W98 in %windir% the 1st time u install option 3.

But if u reinstall option 3, those *.W98 backups will be overwritten with the new backups made every time u install option 3, which means all 98SE backups will be replaced with ME backups, which means u can't restore option 3 anymore *if* u reinstall it.

Therefore, try to install option 3 only once.

I've added a new choice into 98SE2ME.BAT for option 3, to *not* install it [press N to not install it or Y to install it], only if previous *.w98 backups are detected in %windir%\system.

4. I have been able to reproduce the BMP, GIF + JPG file open errors, and found out how to fix them. :)

This is due to installing shimgvw.dll from ME into options 1, 2 + 3. :(

Please get 98SE2ME.EXE the 6-26-2005 edition to fix this.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MDGx

MDGx:

-winoldap error: it's no biggie, 98se2me is the only prog that gives the winoldap error, and only when you changed the reboot code back to the way it was before (when it also errored). -must be something to do with executing that reboot command, within a batch(dos) prog... -Also, somehow, the error "goes away" after running it a couple times (strange), it coincided w/my action of copying that config.dos file into windir, but that was probably just coincidence... I haven't bothered to verify/research that, since the error goes away and it doesn't seem to cause any probs... If I get exceptionally bored, I'll research that reboot code/batch thingy, see what I can find out (I've always been extremely good at experimentation/figuring stuff out, when motivated... it's the only exercise my severely-rusting 159 iq gets these days >;])

-btw, I run scandisk at least once/wk, just to be safe, and it never finds probs (unless a bad shutdown, which is VERY rare nowadays, thx to YOU! :thumbup:thumbup )

-and yup, I do run old dos games and progs sometimes, no errors... and I keep my startup/background progs very clean/lean (hate background progs)...

-device manager: -no probs/conflicts (as per SysInfo, as well), other than the USB, serial, etc. I've deliberately disabled (20 second boot-up gain, and extra IRQ's/resources), which haven't caused any probs in 2 yrs...

-option #3: -ok, I'll get out of the habit of running it every time a new version comes out... :blushing: -and I'll make sure to uninstall #3 first, every time I do run it (or, again if I get bored, maybe I'll add some additional protection/generational backup code to your #3, make sure it keeps the original 98se files safely backed-up... already got an idea, rite now: if it IS the first time it's run, give the backup a slightly diff name, like *.98a, and subsequent times, make it *.98b, to make sure at least the original 98se files are safe... that'll work... and use the .98a files during uninstall, too, to get the orig. files back)

Edited by PsycoUnc

-MDGx: -ok, I was bored :P

-here's a little batch file you can call to do the backing up for each individual file (and it'll save some typing in your backup batch file, too, since it does the work for ya). A sample filename: %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE:

CALL (batch) %windir%\EXPLORER EXE (note the SPACE, not ".")

(batch):

IF NOT EXIST %1.%2 GOTO DONE

set %ex=".98a"

IF EXIST %1.98a SET %ex=".98b"

copy/Y %1.%2 %1%ex% >nul

:DONE

-I've tested it, it works... :D

(edit: actually, looking more at your batch file, looks like u might be able to move more to the mini-batch file, too... save more repetition... I'll re-post once I've tested it)

Edited by PsycoUnc

-here's a little batch file you can call to do the backing up for each individual file (and it'll save some typing in your backup batch file, too, since it does the work for ya).  A sample filename:  %windir%\EXPLORER.EXE:

CALL (batch) %windir%\EXPLORER EXE  (note the SPACE, not ".")

(batch):

IF NOT EXIST %1.%2 GOTO DONE

set %ex=".98a"

IF EXIST %1.98a SET %ex=".98b"

copy/Y %1.%2 %1%ex% >nul

:DONE

-I've tested it, it works...

Thanks a lot for your cool batch tips.

My idea:

instead of creating a second, third, etc... backup copy of all those files each time the user installs option 3, it seems easier IMO to just detect each *.W98 file version using GETVER, and if all 98SE backed up files are found in the right places, give the user 2 choices:

1. either restore old 98SE system files from *.W98 backup [done by running RSTR3F.INF], then reboot, and finally, after 98SE UI restarts, the user can run again 98SE2ME.PIF to safely install option 3 fresh

2. or proceed to (re)install option 3 with 3 (sub)choices:

2a. create new backup set [not overwrite old ones] and then install option 3.

2b. overwrite old backups with new ones and then install option 3.

2c. install option 3 without creating new backups.

But it's getting late, so I'll probably do this tomorrow.

Laters

-it would only be one more backup set, 13 files, <6mb (since the 2nd set would keep getting overwritten, as it does now, while preserving the orig set), plus it seems a bit more complicated your new way... and allows for more potential user error, as far as possibly overwriting the orig 98se backups. The only additional user interaction my way would be during uninstall of option 3, asking user if he wants to restore the orig (pre-98se2me w98se) set, or the most recent (probably redundant ME) set...

Had a slight prob installing new Zone Alarm, had to back out of 982ME[opt 1] to install and then reinstall 982ME, did screenshot & txt save to desktop, but they went "where the woodbine twineth" during the process so can't post. May be just my machine.

I think the server has hotlinking protection. So, you have to copy the link manually into the browser's address bar.

Yes, it has a hotlinking protection. Just left-click (instead of right-click) "Here", and you'll see. Copying the link manually did work well.

Thanks

allesok

Edited by allesok

Yes, it has a hotlinking protection. Just left-click (instead of right-click) "Here", and you'll see. Copying the link manually did work well.

Thanks

allesok

Yeah, that's why I said to "right-click/save as" next to the link. ;)

Also, thank you Petr for the info. I added the mime type to the server config file. Can someone who was having trouble with it being detected as txt before, let me know if it's working properly with your browser now?

I think it should be ok cause this is what it's giving me now:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:09:27 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwli
mited/1.4 PHP/4.3.9 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Last-Modified: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:14:21 GMT
ETag: "5299cf-280fd-42c122fd"
Content-Length: 164093
Content-Type: application/x-rar-compressed

Thanks,

-Ex

Edited by Excalibur007