98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

Some further good news on my install, all prgms[3rd party] that load at startup now reinstalled[11], my time from click the restart OK to fully loaded desktop went from "1 min 33 sec"[w/just sp2] to "57 sec" w/98se2ME[opt 1] installed :thumbup:w00t: Quite an improvement I'd say! The only time I get to see the new shutdown logo is if I do shutdown :lol: Nary a prob so far B)

Update:

After booting Windows with no registry loaded, the problem with accessing MS-DOS persists. I assume this means that it is a bad file(s) or some incorrect setting. AVG and ad-aware turned up no errors either, so now I'm left wondering what kind of registry tweaks I did in the past that may have triggered this problem. On the net, I read something about incorrect video IRQ's sometimes cause conflict with the MS-DOS ones. I did update the VIA chipset/bus a while back. I can't uninstall them though because the the registry was restored from an older version once and some of the add/remove entries are no longer there. Fuzz. I wish there was some way to reinstall/replace only some files and not the whole windows directory. java script:emoticon(':wacko:')

smilie

As I said, only because the mouse cursor was spinning for 15-20 seconds right after the UI loaded.

After disabling systray and rebooting, the 15-20 sec spinning cursor went away.

-yes, but why would systray do that? the mouse icon in systray? can't just the icon be disabled? or are there inherent probs w/systray itself?

Some further good news on my install, all prgms[3rd party] that load at startup now reinstalled[11], my time from click the restart OK to fully loaded desktop went from "1 min 33 sec"[w/just sp2] to "57 sec" w/98se2ME[opt 1] installed  :thumbup  Quite an improvement I'd say! The only time I get to see the new shutdown logo is if I do shutdown

-yeah, my total boot time is down to 42 secs! niiiice... (celeron 1.8ghz) -mine was around 1 minute, then I saw/tried that MDGx tip "kill TapeDetect in registry", and that shaved 20 secs off! ALL PRAISE MDGX, AGAIN... :thumbup

Update:

After booting Windows with no registry loaded, the problem with accessing MS-DOS persists...

-have ya tried the tweaker X-SETUP, for the Enable DOS box/regedit? GREAT prog... but be sure to get the slightly older 6.6 (FREE) version, mdgx has a link for it... maybe it will succeed where your other tweaker didn't... -also, any chance some security software is cranked up a bit too high? Preventing those functions?

Great Googliotomy, used 06-21-05 98se2ME ver[b4 was 06-18-05 ver]] no probs with sound drivers  :thumbup Now on the road to rest of rat killin :yes:

Have a great week/weekend MGDx

Glad it all worked well in the end. ;)

Edit - Oh.  I just noticed that he installed them fine with the later 98SE2ME.  Perhaps this is related to the problem we fixed with my USB Modem drivers.  Hmmm, maybe things can be left alone then.  It does seem that it might be better to just have the 98SE Driver Verifier there though.  This way System Policy Editor can still control it.  Unless there is something buggy about it that the Windows Me files do better?
I didn't see any of these errors, and can't test these configurations, so I'll have to trust you guys that it [finally] worked ok on your computers. :yes:

Hi there. I'm a new poster. I'd like to say first off, thank you to all the people including MDGx and others who have contributed to the exciting program 98SE2ME. It was refreshing to try it and experience a whole new look to Windows 98SE and its usage. I have since reverted back to regular windows though, because there were some problems and I wanted to eliminate as many variables as I could to troubleshoot. I wanted to ask anyone who has knowledge regarding 98SE2ME a question pertaining to my present problem. It seems that for some time now, I've been unable to access MS-DOS from within Windows. I first noticed when I tried to install 98SE2ME that the PIF extension for the file wasn't recognized by Windows. Instead I used a BAT file I believe that was in the file folder for the program. After 98SE2ME was installed, at some point, I realized that my MS-DOS prompt icon was missing from my start menu. It could still be accessed from the run command, after I searched online for solutions and workarounds.

In any case, after some time, I reverted back to the old 98SE config, and also uninstalled the 98se service pack(which I had installed before 98SE2ME), and a few days ago, when trying to enter MS-DOS mode from the shutdown menu, Windows said 'access to specified file or device(EXIT TO DOS.PIF) denied'. I have since seen that I cannot access MS-DOS from the run command either, with COMMAND.COM, and now REGEDIT doesn't work either. I tried the POLEDIT program, and under DEFAULT USER, I found that both regedit and ms-dos were unabled. But after unchecking themand rebooting, the system still is the same, ie. won't recognize pif files, allow access to regedit or command.com(however i can still open REGEDIT if I click on it in Explorer). After rebooting, the poledit program still has all options clear(nothing disabled), but I think there is something in my registry that either I damaged myself, or a program has. It just seems like it has gone from minor to progressively worse. I will try to do a boot-up without the registry enabled to see if that makes a change, because I've already replaced the woa386.mod file, as well as one other that Microsoft lists as the main causes for MS-DOS problems. If anyone knows of any causes of this, or of how to make DOS work properly again, the info would be much appreciated, as I haven't been successful so far in finding a solution. 

Good luck with the continued progress and keep on truckin'!

Hi tk323, and welcome to MSFN forums.

Sounds like you have been using some other program to modify security settings.

98SE2ME does not touch security settings.

To properly use 98SE2ME, please read READ1ST.TXT before replacing any files:

READ1ST.TXT

and also see the list of system files which should *never* be replaced:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#NEVER

That's a big no-no: WINOA386.MOD should *not* be replaced.

The only version that works with Windows 98 SE is the 1 that installs from the 98 SE setup CD [build 4.10.2222].

If u do, DOS box mode will be either disabled or messed up, and there is a chance your OS will lock up.

I have a bunch of DOS tricks + guides at my site. Please see this page which contains the entire list:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip.htm

U can find more info in these text files: MEMORY.TXT, MYTIPS95.TXT, REGIONS.TXT, EMM386.TXT, all part of W95-11D.EXE [freeware for non profit use]:

http://www.mdgx.com/95.htm

All online tips are also included in the text files from W95-11D.EXE if u wish to read offline.

It's a lot of reading, but u may find what u need.

Complete list of Registry keys + values for security permissions:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip9.htm#RESTRICT

System + Registry tweakers [99.99% free(ware)]:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#SYS

Hope this helps.

And thanks a bunch for your kind appreciation.

Some further good news on my install, all prgms[3rd party] that load at startup now reinstalled[11], my time from click the restart OK to fully loaded desktop went from "1 min 33 sec"[w/just sp2] to "57 sec" w/98se2ME[opt 1] installed. Quite an improvement I'd say! The only time I get to see the new shutdown logo is if I do shutdown  :lol: Nary a prob so far  B)
Good news. ;)

If u want to see your boot logo [even if animated] from within Windows, get the XrX logo screen saver [shareware]:

http://www.xrx.ca/logoutils/index.htm#Saver

Hope this helps.

MGDx not complaining about no sd logo, thats great!  When clk "OK" it goes blink to boot screen, figure that shaves seconds off reboot, am now gonna see what can be shaved off backkend  PsycoUnc's got me beat by 15 sec  :P

lol -yeah, but I cheat: I never use USB, so I disable all usb devices in Device Manager, and it REALLY speeds up boottime, for some reason... ;) probably my cheap mobo... (it also frees up resources, IRQ's, etc)... same thing for serial/parrallel ports, couple unused soundcard devices, disabled 2nd "dual" monitor of vid card, etc... but it's the USB disable that really speeds me up... :yes:

(ps: I'm currently working on my first "fresh" clean w98se install in over a year, so I'm hoping I'll be able to shave a couple secs off that 42, soon, too... >;] )

Edited by PsycoUnc

-MDGx, about option #3 and customizing the windows explorer toolbar:

-? when I use option 3, I can customize, but w/out #3, the "Customize" drop-menu-option (or right-click on toolbar) is missing... ?... is the ME-Explorer the only one which allows you to customize the toolbar? Or have I forgotton how to "unlock" that option? I've been searching, and no luck... (frustrated)

(I can move things around, but can't get rid of buttons or add em, unless #3 is employed...)

-oh, btw, that Winoldap page fault error is back (your Shell..exitwindows... again), and this time I had the Shell...2048 already in config.sys, and my autoexec/environment was not big (working with new clean w98se install now) (note: gape's sp reboot does not error; perhaps use his way?)

-EDIT: WINOLDAP error: may be coincidence, but error went away after I copied config.dos (shell...2048) from my old install windir to new install windir (it didn't have any config.dos in there); -only problem is, I tried removing that file again, to see if the error would return, but it DIDN'T...!...?... now, I can't reproduce that error, just like with the old install, it just went away... :wacko: ?... -maybe, does having config.dos in windir somehow get copied into the registry, so that if the file is removed, the reg still keeps the data, preventing the return of the error? I didn't do anything else to either install... weird... (again, I don't think the error caused any damage; puter still rebooted, just looked like your .bat file didn't wanna quit, for the reboot...)

ps: -I can't get rid of option #3! :blink: I didn't know that, when trying out your new versions of 98se2me, we need to FIRST UNINSTALL OPTION #3, not just uninstall 98se2me itself, otherwise the backup files made during option 3 get OVERWRITTEN, preventing an option 3 uninstall! -now, I gotta go grab those dozen or so files manually, copy them over to *.w98, then uninstall #3 again, rite?

Edited by PsycoUnc