98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

I still can't figure out why my sound drivers get kicked out & won't reinstall, no I'm not using opt-3, just 1&2. I'm on my 3rd clean install, have all hrdwr drivers in stalled & am ready to install SP2.0.1. Have printout of 982ME Readme & adhere strictly to it on install. :(

-are ya using the latest VIA "4-in-1" drivers? I vaguely recall issues which the newer via 4-in-1's fix... ?

I tested this on my old PC:

Intel Pentium III Tualatin 1.3 GHz CPU overclocked at 1.4 GHz

Intel 440BX PCI/AGP chipset

Abit BE6-II 2.0 RAID mobo

Hi MDGx, one off-topic question - how you managed to use Tualatin processor on this mobo? Abit states at http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?model=119

(Please mention: This board does not support Tualatin core P!!!/Celeron processors.

I have several Intel 440BX based boards and I always thought that they don't support Tualation processor?

Petr

-about that pIII 1.3ghz: I also heard that particular cpu had stability probs? (otherwise, I wanted to upgrade my nephew's 866 pIII to that cpu...) ?

--edit: whoops, that's a slot cpu, maybe I was thinking of similar speed socket-type p3? or maybe w/a cpu adapter? -dunno, was couple yrs ago, memory sux for us Psyco's... >;]

---edit again: ??? -the pic from the mobo link shows a slot-type board, but a pic from tom's hardware showing the tualatin (celeron) pIII 1.3 is definitely socket ??? -and, at tom's, it does mention that I can't use that cpu w/intel 815ep (nephew's mobo), so there goes that issue... "If you own an old board with an Intel 815EP chipset, you can forget using any new CPU with a Tualatin core"

Edited by PsycoUnc

Am using ver 4.56[latest I found] ver 5.0 only adds better AGP & USB support for me[tried it b4 I went into this clean install]. Have ckkd both VIA site & ASUS for newer sound[ what is on my Inst CD] & no go. Am in holding pattern right now, kinda waitin to see if anyone's got ideas. :blink::w00t:

PS: PsycoUnc, my BE6 is a slot 1, don't know if all are.

Edited by randiroo76073

[OT]

x Petr

try this link:

http://www.mrufer.ch/pc/tualatin_e.html

or this:

http://digilander.libero.it/grandecigno/Tua_BX_41.htm

the process is the same for more bx motherboard.

I have abit bx133 with celeron tualatin 1100(100fsb) overclocked 1463(133fsb).

The problem is the agp divisor that at 133 is only 2/3. You need a video card capable to go at 89mhz fsb if you want use p3 tualatin 133 or overclocked celeron (normally all gf3, some gf2 and 8500) or a pci video card.

Edited by maninabox

I have several Intel 440BX based boards and I always thought that they don't support Tualation processor?

With the proper adapter, it can work...

Socket 370 tualatin adapter:

http://www.strattoncomputer.com/so370adcpuup.html

Slot 1 tualatin adapter:

http://www.strattoncomputer.com/slot1-fcpga2.html

Officially, my Abit BM6 motherboard will only support non-coppermine CPUs up to 600MHz.

Notes from the QT bios revision: "Supports 1.5V (cB0 stepping) Celeron 566(66) and 600(66) MHz CPUs. CC0 and newer stepping Celeron CPUs are not supported."

However with a bit of work, I managed to run a 1.1GHz coppermine chip on it...

http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/bm6/

And I later used one of the Socket 370 adapters above to run a 1.4GHz tualatin CPU in it.

I still can't figure out why my sound drivers get kicked out & won't reinstall, no I'm not using opt-3, just 1&2. I'm on my 3rd clean install, have all hrdwr drivers in stalled & am ready to install SP2.0.1. Have printout of 982ME Readme & adhere strictly to it on install.  Is there some way to turn off this Digital Signature checker thing in 982ME???
Digital signature is a WinME "feature" [a.k.a. MS WQHL Certification program], but should not normally interfere with driver installation.

If you see an option [Advanced] to turn it off from the dialog box, please do so. More info [scroll down to "Windows Millennium Edition policy" title]:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/help/use_help...efits_help.aspx

The dig sig nag box does not appear at all on my PC, but I must have had disabled it a long time ago.

If u still get such nagging dialogs after doing this, open the respective driver INF file(s) in Notepad and disable [comment, remark] the line that says something like:

CatalogFile=XXXXX.CAT

with a semicolon in front of it, like this:

; CatalogFile=XXXXX.CAT

Save the modified INFs, and then (re)install the respective driver(s).

U can also delete all *.CAT files from the respective driver directory.

This should completely disable that nag box.

Hope this helps.

-MDGx:  ? why did u disable systray?  -is that a performance/stability issue, or just personal preference?
As I said, only because the mouse cursor was spinning for 15-20 seconds right after the UI loaded.

After disabling systray and rebooting, the 15-20 sec spinning cursor went away.

I tested this on my old PC:

Intel Pentium III Tualatin 1.3 GHz CPU overclocked at 1.4 GHz

Intel 440BX PCI/AGP chipset

Abit BE6-II 2.0 RAID mobo

Hi MDGx, one off-topic question - how you managed to use Tualatin processor on this mobo? Abit states at http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bios.php?model=119

(Please mention: This board does not support Tualatin core P!!!/Celeron processors.

Petr

Actually quite simple, I bought a PowerLeap PL-IP3 Slot 1 Tualatin P3 Celeron adapter:

http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp

which has its own voltage regulator.

Way back then, that was the only way [short of using a soldering gun to mod the VR on the back of the motherboard PCB] to upgrade an Abit slot 1 P3 mobo beyond the 700 MHz P3 slot 1 CPU, unless u use a "slot-ket" adapter, but a primitive slot-ket only supports P3 CPUs up to 1.1 GHz [probably similar to the procedure u used to upgrade to 1.1 GHz].

The last slot 1 P3 CPU made by Intel was the 700E MHz "Coppermine" if memory serves.

More details here [feel free to look around on this page to see my old PC specs]:

http://www.mdgx.com/pc.htm#CPU

Edited by MDGx

Regarding Randiroo76073's Soundcard driver install problem, I had the same thing happen to me when I was installing the Creative Audigy 2 ZS drivers on my Sblive5.1. Without 98SE2ME this works fine as long as you use the latest ctcomp.exe patch over at driverheaven.

With 98SE2ME, that unsigned driver nag greys out the Advanced box so you can't go in there and tell Windows to ask instead of prevent unsigned drivers from installing. The driver was impossible to install because of this.

I tried using SystemPolicyEditor, but that does not effect the Windows Me driver verification from not allowing the install. That only effects 98SE's driver verification manager. It is set by default to allow all drivers. If I set it to ask, it will ask at the very beginning of the driver installation, but the Windows Me one will still pop up when the actual driver installation is ready to activate the driver. And on the soundcard driver the Advanced box it greyed out. I did successfully install an unsigned driver for another device when the Advanced box was selectable! It only greyed it out for the soundcard driver. On the other device (forget what it was) I clicked the Advanced and chose "Ask" and everything proceeded as it would on Windows Me.

So the only solution to try is changing the inf to ; out the catalog? Is the catalog unimportant?

As you know I using a different card right now so I can't test this. I'm interested to see whether randiroo76073 is successful when he ;'s out the catalog file.

Perhaps this is something that can be left out of 98SE2ME? Are there certain files that activate the Windows Me driver verification check? The 98SE driver verification tool is still there as it popped up when I told System Policy Editor to use it. It will perform the function you set in System Policy Editor or the default "install all" if you leave it as default. However, the Windows Me one ignores the System Policy Editor. It seems we have an extra Driver Verifier that we can really do without.

Edit - Oh. I just noticed that he installed them fine with the later 98SE2ME. Perhaps this is related to the problem we fixed with my USB Modem drivers. Hmmm, maybe things can be left alone then. It does seem that it might be better to just have the 98SE Driver Verifier there though. This way System Policy Editor can still control it. Unless there is something buggy about it that the Windows Me files do better?

Edited by Eck

Hi there. I'm a new poster. I'd like to say first off, thank you to all the people including MDGx and others who have contributed to the exciting program 98SE2ME. It was refreshing to try it and experience a whole new look to Windows 98SE and its usage. I have since reverted back to regular windows though, because there were some problems and I wanted to eliminate as many variables as I could to troubleshoot. I wanted to ask anyone who has knowledge regarding 98SE2ME a question pertaining to my present problem. It seems that for some time now, I've been unable to access MS-DOS from within Windows. I first noticed when I tried to install 98SE2ME that the PIF extension for the file wasn't recognized by Windows. Instead I used a BAT file I believe that was in the file folder for the program. After 98SE2ME was installed, at some point, I realized that my MS-DOS prompt icon was missing from my start menu. It could still be accessed from the run command, after I searched online for solutions and workarounds.

In any case, after some time, I reverted back to the old 98SE config, and also uninstalled the 98se service pack(which I had installed before 98SE2ME), and a few days ago, when trying to enter MS-DOS mode from the shutdown menu, Windows said 'access to specified file or device(EXIT TO DOS.PIF) denied'. I have since seen that I cannot access MS-DOS from the run command either, with COMMAND.COM, and now REGEDIT doesn't work either. I tried the POLEDIT program, and under DEFAULT USER, I found that both regedit and ms-dos were unabled. But after unchecking themand rebooting, the system still is the same, ie. won't recognize pif files, allow access to regedit or command.com(however i can still open REGEDIT if I click on it in Explorer). After rebooting, the poledit program still has all options clear(nothing disabled), but I think there is something in my registry that either I damaged myself, or a program has. It just seems like it has gone from minor to progressively worse. I will try to do a boot-up without the registry enabled to see if that makes a change, because I've already replaced the woa386.mod file, as well as one other that Microsoft lists as the main causes for MS-DOS problems. If anyone knows of any causes of this, or of how to make DOS work properly again, the info would be much appreciated, as I haven't been successful so far in finding a solution.

Good luck with the continued progress and keep on truckin'!