98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

-MDGx, I have need of your infinite wisdom yet again:  when trying to export the registry in real-mode dos (from ebd, using regedit), I get "unable to open registry (1,016)..." ?  -I was only trying to test the registry editor for my new modified EBD, on a good-working system, in case of a need to edit the registry in real-dos mode emergency... MS has an article, but of course all they say to resolve it is "do it in protected-mode"... that's not helpful, as usual... do ya know of any real-mode dos registry editors that actually work with real-sized registries?

This happens when booting from a boot disk. You have to use the /L and /R switches to tell regedit where the *.dat files are.

You need to use the full path with drive letter. Same with the /E switch.

-MDGx, I have need of your infinite wisdom yet again:  when trying to export the registry in real-mode dos (from ebd, using regedit), I get "unable to open registry (1,016)..." ?  -I was only trying to test the registry editor for my new modified EBD, on a good-working system, in case of a need to edit the registry in real-dos mode emergency... MS has an article, but of course all they say to resolve it is "do it in protected-mode"... that's not helpful, as usual... do ya know of any real-mode dos registry editors that actually work with real-sized registries?
This happens when booting from a boot disk. You have to use the /L and /R switches to tell regedit where the *.dat files are.

You need to use the full path with drive letter. Same with the /E switch.

Good point. I didn't know that. :(

I never had to recreate/restore the registry from a boot disc, because I always have another working copy of Windows on C as backup.

-I did try the /l /r switches, with full path, along with of course being in the same dir as the .dat's (/windows), and of course did the attrib -r -s -h *.dat to make sure they were available...

-it's the same w/all versions of regedit.exe, 98se/ME/updated/"fixed"...

-combined size of user.dat + system.dat is 7mb... (old-install test system, lotsa installs/uninstalls... but I do clean/optimize it regularly)

-and nope, no batch file to back it up, just standard/auto...

-it's no big deal, was just curious... I also keep many generational copies of reg, prob won't ever need it, but was thinking of all poss. emergencies, it'd be nice to be able to edit the reg from real-mode if windows won't boot... but I also keep "safe" copies of windows on C, so prob won't ever need this, but just in case...

all is well............ :wacko: glad i found the correction quicker than the cause....... possibly the 98se updates may have put a few issues in default state..... but my order of updating is whenever there is a 98se update i always follow thru with a re-install of option 3 and 1 of the 98seMe............ no clue as to why my pooters went on a 12 hour cycle, but if it occurs again i will take notes............. lol............

--re: regedit w/EBD:

-DOH! :blushing: it's working fine, it was a typo when specifying the /L /R paths (my "C" and "D" drive letters swap, when booting from EBD... bios stuff)... I was so used to typing "c:\windows...", shoulda been "D:\windows...". SO sorry to waste your time here... :blushing:

:thumbup all is well.............. but i do have one question/request...... i also use a freeware aka TclockEx in my clock tray....... and i have noticed since all the mods that it tends to resize itself......... is there anything on your site or mod that i can 'fix' the sizing on that icon area.......????

thank you again......

MDGx, after service pack from Gape i would try to translate your pack. You use inno setup for compile the pack, right? There is a guide file as the file .sed for the sp. Which file (inf, batch) i must/can translate? For dll and exe i pick the file from my windows me italian cd.

all is well.............. but i do have one question/request...... i also use a freeware aka TclockEx in my clock tray....... and i have noticed since all the mods that it  tends to resize itself......... is there anything on your site or mod that i can 'fix' the sizing on that icon area.......????

thank you again......

I've been using TclockEx in the past, but I gave it up cuz I've hexed my explorer.exe, shell32.dll, comdlg32.dll, user.exe etc in Resource Hacker, so I have no need for it anymore. ;)

But I just tried it again, and this is what happens:

u need to modify both date/day/year and hour/min/sec display to always show with leading zeroes [u can change separators to whatever u want]:

MM-dd-yy ff

HH:mm:ss tt

If u have something like:

M-d-yy ff

H:m:s tt

then it will always resize when the time/date changes e.g. from 9 [1 digit] to 10 [2 digits] to fit the extra digit.

Hope this helps.

MDGx, after service pack from Gape i would try to translate your pack. You use inno setup for compile the pack, right? There is a guide file as the file .sed for the sp. Which file (inf, batch) i must/can translate? For dll and exe i pick the file from my windows me italian cd.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this.

All files you need for compiling Inno Setup are in this small zip [10 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/INNOFILE.ZIP

Please read INNOFILE.TXT for details.

Please ask me if you need anything else.

Hope this helps.

Buona fortuna.

:thumbup already on to that.......... thanks for the reply but if you could lead me to the registry or ini area that i could reconfigure that particular tray area as it also encloses the task scheduler so i can 'play' with it............ BTW 4+ days and no blue screen since the 98seMe upgrades................. BOTH machines.........

already on to that.......... thanks for the reply but if you could lead me to the registry or ini area that i could reconfigure that particular tray area as it also encloses the task scheduler so i can 'play' with it............
This is where TClockEx writes into the registry:

REGEDIT4

; all users reg key:
[HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\TClockEx\Settings]
"ClockFormatString"="MM-dd-yy ff"
"TooltipFormatString"="dddddddddd MMMM dd yyyy"

; current user reg key:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TClockEx\Settings]
"ClockFormatString"="MM-dd-yy ff"
"TooltipFormatString"="dddddddddd MMMM dd yyyy"

These are the values I use.

U need to change them if u like a different display.

Nonetheless, I still recommend to make these changes from the UI:

right-click on the tray TClockEx display -> TClockEx Properties -> Clock Format tab -> make your changes -> OK.

This is the bugs list + how to use case sensitive date strings:

http://www.rcis.co.za/dale/tclockex/bugs.htm

FAQ:

http://www.rcis.co.za/dale/tclockex/faq.htm

Note that TClockEx works also with Windows 2000/XP/2003/Longhorn.

Hope this helps.

I've been looking all over the internet for something like the: 98SE2ME.EXE

I bought a mass storage device in Hong Kong w/ no driver (didn't need one for XP). But I've been trying to find a driver so I can use it on my old laptop w/ 98SE. Found this site finally, and installed the 98SE2ME.EXE My computer finally recognized a driver. When I click on the Device Manager the note states: "This device is working properly", and that it accepted this driver. I also now show the little "safe to remove" icon in the lower right toolbar. BUT, I cannot access the device. I never get an icon in My Computer that allows me access it. I have tried other avenues and have turned up empty as well. Any suggestions? Please. Thanks.

I bought a mass storage device in Hong Kong w/ no driver (didn't need one for XP).  But I've been trying to find a driver so I can use it on my old laptop w/ 98SE.  Found this site finally, and installed the 98SE2ME.EXE  My computer finally recognized a driver.  When I click on the Device Manager the note states: "This device is working properly", and that it accepted this driver.  I also now show the little "safe to remove" icon in the lower right toolbar.  BUT, I cannot access the device.  I never get an icon in My Computer that allows me access it.  I have tried other avenues and have turned up empty as well.  Any suggestions?  Please.  Thanks.

Have you tried installing this...

Maximus Decim Native USB Pack ver.2.2

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605

Also, is the mass storage drive formatted? In order to see it, I believe that it needs to be formatted somehow if it isn't already formatted correctly from the factory.

It's kind of like hooking up an unformatted hard drive to your computer. Until you format it, it doesn't show up with a drive letter in My Computer.

is the mass storage drive formatted?

Thanks for the reply Krick. Does it have to be reformatted for Win98SE? I don't know. It works fine in XP. I think you may be right though, I mean the computer is doing everything right now - it finally accepted a driver and is showing signs of life. But still no drive letter in My Computer (which I do get in XP).

BTW - Yes, I did try "Maximus Decim Native USB Pack ver.2.2", that didn't work. If I can't get this thing to work, I have plan B. You see, I'm going on vacation and need to be able to transfer all of my pics from the flash cards to something larger, and all I have is this old laptop. Well, I found another alternative that will work. I'm posting it here in case any one else is interested. A guy has reworked a Microsoft driver so that you can connect your Ipod to Windows98 (I have SE, and it worked for me), and use it as a mass storage device (I have the 40GB Ipod, and it worked for me. He hadn't tested that one yet). You cannot install I-tunes, but you will get the Ipod drive letter in My Computer that will enable you to use it for storage. Here's the LINK.