Next on the agenda...

Wraith

Which would you prefer to be the next piece of functionality implemented?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer to be the next piece of functionality implemented?

• Command Grouping
    • Conditional Execution
    • XML Creator

Whats the point in having a XML Creator when you can write it manually easy enough.

I think the other two are the better ones. I am at the moment writing my own XML Creator started it about two weeks ago and still working on it.

I know it will make it easier to make the xml files would'nt having extra features be better, its not like you cant make the xml file.

I bet the people that are voting for the xml creator are the ones that cant use XPlode because they cant understand the xml file and the people that do understand it are voting for the other 2.

I think this vote was a bad idea becasue a lot of people have been having problems because they cant understand it or just new to unattended cds and they will vote for the xml creator. Their could been more of them than the advanced users which makes it unfair.

Some people might think that if you make the xml creator that you are helping the people that cant be bothered to learn the xml, javascript etc to make it manually.

please dont get me wrong it would be nice to have a xml creator thats why I started making my own but the other 2 take more priority.

My priority that they should be done

1: Conditional Execution

2: Command Grouping

3: XML Creator

Please everyone post their thoughts dont just sit in the background and use peoples ideas and not share. Let wraith know what you think and other to like me.

I am starting to wonder if it worth posting my ideas for everyone because I dont get much feedback but a lot of people do download them.

Please dont take this as a bad post. Just want to point things out.

Please dont flame me. Just posting my thoughts.

Whats the point in having a XML Creator when you can write it manually easy enough.
I agree it can be wrote easily enough, but, as you said people are using xplode that maybe haven't gone through the progression of batch files and RunOnceEx and the xml creator would certainly make a dent in the posts from people whos xml files are misspelled, typed or contain unclosed tags, this can always be checked by opening the xml in your browser but some people may not know this.

I vote for the conditional statements, and would like to ability to merge all of my xml files into a single one and call the appropriate xml section via the commandline, i.e I currently use the selectedinstall method and have 3 xmls, a cmdlines (runs @t12), a main (runs before first logon) and a cleanup. Now if it were possible I could call xplode with the commandline used now such as

XPlode.exe /xml:cmdlines.xml

but instead of opening cmdlines.xml it would open xplode xml and run the cmdlines portion of the file.

I don't know if this would be possible or feasable, just hoping :D

I agree with the first reply. Just because some kids are too stupid to work for a little bit of knowledge doesnt mean you need to work your a** off for little punks whom would rather make a forum post than improve their 5th grade reading level.

I find it interesting that the 8 people that have voted for the XML creator didn't voice their opinion in post form...

Between teh people posting, I'd say it's a tie between conditional statements and command grouping (S0mE0nesMiNd1 is probably right)

I haven't replied yet, because I didn't want to... bias... the results in any way.

I figured a couple of days would be enough to get a "decent" set of results - I was essentially looking at a broad structure of XPlode's userbase - I figured that voting for the first two meant that you were skilled enough to work things out yourself, and voting for the XML creator meant that you have no inclination toward doing anything yourself.

I guess the results won't change *too* much from what they are now, so I'll say what I have been thinking all along.

There is no chance there will be an XML creator for XPlode 4. There *is* however, a chance that the other two will make it in at some point.

I had said that the XML creator will be with XPlode 5, and while I had hoped it would be out by now, there are other, more important things to do.

Like go to uni. *looks at the time*

Ahhh crap, I was supposed to be there 20 minutes ago...

*runs out the door*

Conditional execution!

Don't care much for an XML creator, I already created an XML myself so in a way I already have an XML creator.. :)

Command grouping would be a nice feature to eliminate .cmd files, but I don't need it at the time.

Conditional execution would be a great feature to add next. That's why I voted for it... ;) However, being able to have multiple execute statements per item would also be a great feature that I could make use of. I can see just about equally strong arguments for either one of these two options.

As for the XML creator... Well, anybody can take a few minutes worth of time to sit down and learn the basic rules for creating well-formed XML files. And the manual you've put together is good enough that people should be able to learn at least the basics of what to do from it. And being that you're validating the XML document with XPlode before running it, finding errors in the XML (like tags that haven't been closed, or typos) should be easy enough. (If someone really wants to ensure that they have a well-formed document themselves before running it through XPlode, they can always download something like the demo version of XML Spy and use it for those purposes.)

Wraith, I know you've already replied above... But, if I were in your position I probably wouldn't even worry about an XML generator/creator for XPlode v5. XPlode is a great tool and there are plenty of other things that could be added to it to make it better... If you've got limited amounts of time, as a user I'd rather see more features be added to the basic prog itself. I implore you to consider leaving the XML generation and validation to other tools that already exist or will soon exist and focus your talents and time on other improvements... for v4 and v5.

(That, of course, is just my vote... :) )

I agree with the first reply. Just because some kids are too stupid to work for a little bit of knowledge doesnt mean you need to work your a** off for little punks whom would rather make a forum post than improve their 5th grade reading level.

so you're saying he needs to work his a** off for the big punks? :whistle:

i won't vote, because i would prefer the manual (pdf) getting a simple overhaul... not a rewrite, but only some re-arranging to clear things up for the beginners

I've been planning to move back to a wiki form, I just haven't had the time.

That said, I can't sleep tonight, and can't be bothered doing any more flight mechanics for a while.

I might set up a thing quickly....

• 2 weeks later...