PSP or Ipod Mini?

Ctwizzy

I am looking to get a portable mp3 player, and thus been looking at the ipod Mini.

I dont need an iPod as when will I ever need to listen to 20Gbs of music... the 4 or 6GB mini is more than enough(as thats 1000+ songs which is 83hours @ 5mins a song) when am I ever going to need 83hrs of music at my fingertips??

So a 4GB mini Ipod is

250 Canadian (plus tax is 287) Or I can buy one from the states for 200 + exchange rate which would be 230

6GB is 320 CAD(w/tax= 363) Or from u.s 250 + exchange is 300

But as I am a huge PS and Sony fan I took notice of the PSP.

So I need some advise on the best choice.

Ipod vs PSP

Ipod

Pros

- Cheap (230-300 depending on size)

- Does one thing and does it well

- Scratch resistant

- Small

- 16hrs battery life

Cons

- Only Music

- No color screen

PSP

Pros

- Plays Movies, games, has huge potential for a web browser, email, emulators

- Plays Music

Cons

- Kind of expensive (299 canadian + tax = 345, might be cheaper from states)

- Requires Memory sticks which dont hold much as is and cost quite a bit

- Music isnt as good as PSP especially playlists etc

- Bigger than a psp and more fragile (scratches easily, dead pixels)

- 4hrs battery life

If anyone can add to the lists or help me make up my mind please do!

Thanks

One thing that I can say about the PSP is that the firmware has many upgradable features. You can find extra features to add on fairly easily.

The requirement to buy the memory sticks to store your music is kind of a drag though... and MemorySticks are pretty expensive as flash memory goes.

The built in wifi is a definate selling point for the PSP though, since as you said, you can surf the web with it. Also, in the fall, Sony will be releasing a keyboard for it, so it will basically turn it into a pseudo-PDA if you want it to be.

In the end, if you're in the market for a music player alone, then I'd go for the iPod Mini (or something equivalent... perhaps Neuros?). If you want something that can handle more than just MP3's, then I'd go for the PSP.

One thing about the Neuros that brought me to it (I'm buying one later this summer when I have some money...) is the fact that it can play almost any file format out there. Not to mention that it has a built in FM transmitter, something that you have to buy extra for the iPod. The online support for it is also very good, as the developers participate on the forums. The 20GB model is only $50 USD more than the 4GB iPod, and you can use it as a portable hard drive as well (portable storage space is always nice). The only downside is that it's a bit bigger than the iPod. Check it out here.

Hope this helps.

When I was weighing up what to buy 6+ months ago, I decided on this:

http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/pro...15&product=4908

(4G version)

Really nice sound quality (as you'd expect) and plays a good number of formats - enough to be happy with :)

It was cheaper than the iPod offerings and I didn't want to be "sucked in" to the Ipod generation (no flaming pls lol).

Something like that is ideal in my opinion (no drivers needed in XP :D) and is all you need for decent music in your ears when travelling. Has a high batt life and more. Check it out :)

Then save up and get PSP.

I won't get a PSP probably because I dont travel much but the diddy Muvo was smaller than I realised and fits in the pocket nicely.

Regards,

N.

Checked out the Muvo ^2 and its the same price as the Ipod Mini. I think id rather join the iPod cult as in all honesty it looks the best :lol:

Ill look into the neuros, tho I think as far as a mp3 player mini the the one.

I dont understand why everyone cares about formats. all my music is in mp3, why change it to something else?

Ive been reading about the psp and the more I read I keep getting disheartend. I think ill wait for

1. It to come down in price

2. get some better games

3. Mem cards to come down in price

4. Official release of a keyboard, applications (like a pda), web browser, mail or rss reader etc etc

5. Longer lasting battery

I dont understand why everyone cares about formats. all my music is in mp3, why change it to something else?

I care about various file formats since I sometimes prefer to encode my songs in OGG Vorbis. It's got a higher quality/bitrate than MP3 does, and I like the fact that it's an open-source project.

Id myself get a Ipod Cuz they more fun that PSP and soon PS3 be out and PSP will die like a PSone

[offtopic]

The PSP and PS3 are completely different systems... one of the great things about the PSP is where the second P comes in... portability. The ability to play games like Burnout3 on a bus/plane/anywhere is pretty slick.

[/offtopic]

I would still have a look at alternate players other than the iPod. If you're running a PC, iTunes lays down a whole bunch of crap for the iPod that just takes up endless resources.

Im currently looking at getting a PSP even after looking @ all the cons. I mean for the money im gona throw might as well support a company I love anyways, and PSP plays music.

I hear there is a way you can use the Regular mem cards which are significantly cheaper. Right now im just looking for coupons to get it cheaper somewhere lol.

personally, I'd go for the psp, but then again I do have an mp3 too, I play games / movies on my psp and music on my mp3 player

the psp's are REALLY smart, but a bit big if you only want it for music

hum, my opinion, check the avatar:P

psp is really useless, the games are't too good. plus, the ipod mini has all the games u'll ever need: solitaire, brick, and parachute :P

PSP is getting Sega Virtua Tennis with WIFI, which will own. I make a 7hr trip north every summer, I go snowboarding usually hours away every other weekend in the winter, the PSP would be a great asset.

PSP

- 4hrs battery life

If anyone can add to the lists or help me make up my mind please do!

Thanks

It might have 4hrs battery life if you're playing games w/ full brightness and speaker volume. If you use headphones and dim the screen a bit, that number can jump to around 6, and if you just need to listen to music, the battery life gets much longer. The PSP comes with a 32mb stick, and larger sticks are VERY expensive (and then have to be the special Memory Stick Pro Duo, not just any Sony memory stick), so if you have a lot of music, an iPod is probably better for you.