Major WinXP Sharing Issue / Annoyance

durex

I had this same problem, but it was after using a reg file, forgot what reg entry it was. I just restored the registry and all was fixed. Not sure if this is applicable to anyone. Hope it helps someone though.

I'm assuming so, I had made a reg file with various tweaks. When I have some spare time I have to dig through it and see what tweak was causing the prob, but I am 100% sure it was one of the tweaks in that file. I've had it happen on a few pc's after merging that particular reg file.

Well I can tell you with at least the PC's trying to access these shares- they havent been 'tweaked' at all, so unless this reg tweak on the hosting pc would somehow cause this problem, Im dont think that would be the issue.

Also.. @k0pect8

What do you mean by master broswer? Im only using Windows Explorer to access these shares.

This is a issue that drove me nuts the first few months I had XP so long ago.. XP/2003 handle the authentication process a little different then 2000.. Futher... they tried to make it more friendly like 9x with simple file sharing but I think they just made it worse.. The fact that you cant disable it in XP Home is really a pain as it should not take XP Pro to be able to use Advanced file sharing..

Most likely problem everyone is experiencing is a conflict of both File System and Share permissions.

For XP home users.. I feel sorry for you all.. I will not go through the process to reset all the permisions until a further date.. But, quicky for XP Pro users..

One, start with simple file sharing. Share a folder once (get past the "Yes I want to share my files etc etc etc..." dialog and atleast share something once)... After hitting apply you can shut it off right away.. (May sound reduntent but just do it)...

Next, if at all possible use the same user name and password on both (all of your machines) or this will require further work yet.

If you make matching acounts on both machines this will work flawlessly.

Alright.. Go turn on advanced file sharing..

Next right click whatever you want to share and go to "Sharing and Security"..

Click "Share this folder"

Change the name if you want....

For now it will use default "Share permisions".. (Everyone, even people without a matching user name and password, will be able to see the share atleast when browsing the machine on the network)...

Hit apply now if you want.. Or a little later.. Next, we go to the "Security" tab for some file system permissions. (Note, this security tab is only present on NTFS drives and not FAT32 drives) If it is a FAT32 formatted drive ignore this and only the Sharing permision applies (in which case you are probally not having this problem anyway).

Again, if you have matching user accounts on both machines.. This will be easy. If the user name is not already listed.. Click add .. Then type in the user name (has to be one that exist on the local machine for simplicity sake)..

Click ok and select it in the uppper list box... The lower box should show basic (default) permissions that will atleast allow you to access and read the files and folders in that folder. Check mark "Full control" if you want "full control" of the files remotely. Next, to make sure some sub folders do not have odd permisions.. Click "Advanced" and click the check box in the bottom left mentioning the replacement of permissions on all child objects. Hit ok.. This make take a while if there are a lot of files in the folder and sub folders.. You should be back at the security tab.. Hit apply or OK and try to access the share accross the network.. All fodlers/files and sub-folders should al act the very same as each other..

Hopefully I worded that correctly for someone to understand. Otherwise ask some questions and I will try to correct it or atleast answer..

...Next, if at all possible use the same user name and password on both (all of your machines) or this will require further work yet.

If you make matching acounts on both machines this will work flawlessly...

hmmm... 2 of the computers here with no problems (SP1 and SP2) have that configuration, the other 2 (both SP2) don't. I'll check this tomorrow- it's late where I am, must sleep now.

@durex

Master Browser

I was led to this page during a Google search of this problem and remembered that I saw this on a friend's computer recently, need to ask him some ??'s.

Then again, I think he was running W2K. Can't remember.

*edit- yes, he's on W2k.

Edited by k0pect8

Holy crap bilemke... you obviously didnt read a bit of this thread did you... those suggestions were the very 1st ppl offered and the very 1st i tried before even posting here for that matter.... and it doesnt in fact work flawlessly.

Holy crap bilemke... you obviously didnt read a bit of this thread did you... those suggestions were the very 1st ppl offered and the very 1st i tried before even posting here for that matter....  and it doesnt in fact work flawlessly.

Which reminds me, Fantastic Four is coming out this summer. So, as Johnny would say, "Flame on!"

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :blushing:

Holy crap bilemke... you obviously didnt read a bit of this thread did you... those suggestions were the very 1st ppl offered and the very 1st i tried before even posting here for that matter....  and it doesnt in fact work flawlessly.

Which reminds me, Fantastic Four is coming out this summer. So, as Johnny would say, "Flame on!"

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :blushing:

You mean this..

use a crossover cable and connect both pcs together to rule out your switch/hub.

guessing that its not a problem with your switches/hubs do this.

on the folder that is shared go to properties/security tab.  add everyone group, give it full controll, remove everthing else, hit apply.  click advanced button check box "allow inhertable permission" and "replace permissions"  click apply, on the remote machine reboot, open the share.  what do you get, try this with your crossover cable.

if this doesnt solve or help the issue, fresh install on the server with an original non-nlite cd.  ive tried that nlite program before and i dont prefer it becuase of all the modification it can do, makes me feel like it removes its default behaviour even if i dont have it modify anything.  this problem here further makes me more unsure of nlite.  there was a really cool batch program that used to only do one thing, integrate a sp into a windows disk (wincdman).  the program is now out of date and doesnt support win2k3sp1.  last i looked there was an updated c built version of it, but it sucked as it never finished the process.

*offtopic below*

anyone know of a program like the old wincdman that it only integrates a sp into a windows cd?

Flame on....

If you have TCP/IP functioning and you are on the same subnet plus share the files in the manner I described.. There is no reason I can see why you should be unable to access all folders under a given share.. If you can access some but not the others.... Well.. Beats me then I suppose.. :realmad: Why dont you format and reinstall then.. You were obviously, most likely atleast, playing with some service or another you shouldnt have been touching.. That doesnt even make any sense because you should either have rights/permissions to see it or not.. If you are seeing some but not the other well.. Go take nice cold shower...

Flame off....

Good luck to you all, maybe durex can solve it for some of you..

My final suggestion would be a good wipe and start over.. Move your documents to another drive or safe folder and delete windows and reinstall it like gigabitfx said earlier..

Otherwise, if you can ping the ip address of the client and server, connectivity is not an issue and NETBEU or NETBIOS protocols are not going to be of help.. Esspecially not a crossover cable..

Edited by bilemke

• 2 weeks later...
This is a issue that drove me nuts the first few months I had XP so long ago.. XP/2003 handle the authentication process a little different then 2000.. Futher... they tried to make it more friendly like 9x with simple file sharing but I think they just made it worse.. The fact that you cant disable it in XP Home is really a pain as it should not take XP Pro to be able to use Advanced file sharing..

Most likely problem everyone is experiencing is a conflict of both File System and Share  permissions.

For XP home users.. I feel sorry for you all.. I will not go through the process to reset all the permisions until a further date.. But, quicky for XP Pro users..

One, start with simple file sharing. Share a folder once (get past the "Yes I want to share my files etc etc etc..." dialog and atleast share something once)... After hitting apply you can shut it off right away.. (May sound reduntent but just do it)...

Next, if at all possible use the same user name and password on both (all of your machines) or this will require further work yet.

If you make matching acounts on both machines this will work flawlessly.

Alright.. Go turn on advanced file sharing..

Next right click whatever you want to share and go to "Sharing and Security"..

Click "Share this folder"

Change the name if you want....

For now it will use default "Share permisions".. (Everyone, even people without a matching user name and password, will be able to see the share atleast when browsing the machine on the network)...

Hit apply now if you want.. Or a little later.. Next, we go to the "Security" tab for some file system permissions.  (Note, this security tab is only present on NTFS drives and not FAT32 drives) If it is a FAT32 formatted drive ignore this and only the Sharing permision applies (in which case you are probally not having this problem anyway).

Again, if you have matching user accounts on both machines.. This will be easy. If the user name is not already listed.. Click add .. Then type in the user name (has to be one that exist on the local machine for simplicity sake)..

Click ok and select it in the uppper list box...  The lower box should show basic (default) permissions that will atleast allow you to access and read the files and folders in that folder. Check mark "Full control" if you want "full control" of the files remotely.  Next, to make sure some sub folders do not have odd permisions.. Click "Advanced" and click the check box in the bottom left mentioning the replacement of permissions on all child objects. Hit ok.. This make take a while if there are a lot of files in the folder and sub folders.. You should be back at the security tab.. Hit apply or OK and try to access the share accross the network.. All fodlers/files and sub-folders should al act the very same as each other..

Hopefully I worded that correctly for someone to understand. Otherwise ask some questions and I will try to correct it or atleast answer..

Thank you for this suggestion. I will try this @ home and will update the thread as soon as possible.

Here's a thought - since I presume you've tried al manner of combinations to get things showing both ways, one thng I know that helps is to create a new share name for the folder you want to share. All drive are seen as folders and have a default administrative share (such as C$ or D$), but if you create a new share name for each drive (do this on the Sharing and Security dialog - right click on the drive in Explorer)Then you can use that to share the whole thing.

More than once I've had to access a machine by the IP addy first and sometimes more than once, but after that I can map with the computername and share name, \\computer\sharename,.

I recently spent several hours at a friend's trying to sort out his PC and laptop share. In the end I found that whoever'd set the thing up had screwed up and added a "1" to the account name, but removed it internally. The laptop wouldn't respond to what I thought was the correct username. When I scoped the account folder and saw the "1" appended, I added that and bingo! Talk about putting road blocks in the way!!! :o)

If you still get partials, then I can only suggest that you remove all shares (go back to default) and then build it back up. Permissions are a real pack of worms and get messy real fast.

I also tried doing what you suggested Don and still have the same effects. Also, I just realized that its not just folders that have this issue... I just experienced a couple files that arent showing up amongst others that are.

Well, not that it should make any difference, but I plan on reformatting the share host and one of the client pcs having the issues accessing the shares, with an un-altered winxp source.

I also tried doing what you suggested Don and still have the same effects.  Also, I just realized that its not just folders that have this issue... I just experienced a couple files that arent showing up amongst others that are.

Well, not that it should make any difference, but I plan on reformatting the share host and one of the client pcs having the issues accessing the shares, with an un-altered winxp source.

Just to let you guys know: I reformatted the host pc and the problem is gone :thumbup