Major WinXP Sharing Issue / Annoyance

durex

use a crossover cable and connect both pcs together to rule out your switch/hub.

guessing that its not a problem with your switches/hubs do this.

on the folder that is shared go to properties/security tab. add everyone group, give it full controll, remove everthing else, hit apply. click advanced button check box "allow inhertable permission" and "replace permissions" click apply, on the remote machine reboot, open the share. what do you get, try this with your crossover cable.

if this doesnt solve or help the issue, fresh install on the server with an original non-nlite cd. ive tried that nlite program before and i dont prefer it becuase of all the modification it can do, makes me feel like it removes its default behaviour even if i dont have it modify anything. this problem here further makes me more unsure of nlite. there was a really cool batch program that used to only do one thing, integrate a sp into a windows disk (wincdman). the program is now out of date and doesnt support win2k3sp1. last i looked there was an updated c built version of it, but it sucked as it never finished the process.

*offtopic below*

anyone know of a program like the old wincdman that it only integrates a sp into a windows cd?

My friend suggested that XP can't handle the task of sharing too many files at once.  I checked on my comp, and I have about 250,000-300,000 files being shared.  I don't know if this high file count is a factor, but I plan on moving most of the files to a server soon, so hopefully that will fix it.  You might want to see just how many files you have...it can't hurt.

An interesting concept, and one I hadn't even considered. As I mentioned before, I was testing using my Media Folder, which contains quite a number of files (over 3000 mp3s alone; guess who owns way too many CDs...). Total files shared was still probably less than 5000, but I suppose it could still be the issue...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

use a crossover cable and connect both pcs together to rule out your switch/hub.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but it seems unlikely given the number of people who have responded saying they experience similar issues. Also I believe it has already been stated that the shares were working properly before the switch to Windows XP SP2.

guessing that its not a problem with your switches/hubs do this.

on the folder that is shared go to properties/security tab.  add everyone group, give it full controll, remove everthing else, hit apply.  click advanced button check box "allow inhertable permission" and "replace permissions"  click apply, on the remote machine reboot, open the share.  what do you get, try this with your crossover cable.

Not a permissions issue. See again above that the shares worked correctly before the switch to SP2. Also note that they can all be accessed if the complete network path is entered into the address bar. The issue is that the folders are not visible if you try to browse to them using Explorer, starting at the top-level folder and working your way down.
if this doesnt solve or help the issue, fresh install on the server with an original non-nlite cd.  ive tried that nlite program before and i dont prefer it becuase of all the modification it can do, makes me feel like it removes its default behaviour even if i dont have it modify anything.  this problem here further makes me more unsure of nlite.  there was a really cool batch program that used to only do one thing, integrate a sp into a windows disk (wincdman).  the program is now out of date and doesnt support win2k3sp1.  last i looked there was an updated c built version of it, but it sucked as it never finished the process.

nLite being the issue is unlikely. I don't use it, and I have had the same problem.

*offtopic below*

anyone know of a program like the old wincdman that it only integrates a sp into a windows cd?

Not me, sorry. Been a while since I worked with 2000 and it's service packs. Do the latest releases not have the same /integrate fix that the XP releases have?

1st off Cartoon hit the nail on the head to each of those replies above...

My friend suggested that XP can't handle the task of sharing too many files at once.  I checked on my comp, and I have about 250,000-300,000 files being shared.  I don't know if this high file count is a factor, but I plan on moving most of the files to a server soon, so hopefully that will fix it.  You might want to see just how many files you have...it can't hurt.

An interesting concept, and one I hadn't even considered. As I mentioned before, I was testing using my Media Folder, which contains quite a number of files (over 3000 mp3s alone; guess who owns way too many CDs...). Total files shared was still probably less than 5000, but I suppose it could still be the issue...

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I actually am using the admin shares to access my files/folders (i.e. d$\music). Ive also tried just sharing the folder out but unless I actually share the particular folder that doesnt show up when sharing one of its parents, it has the same effect regardless.

Question to ppl having this issue:

Are you seeing that the folders which dont show up are the same folders every time or are you finding that one folder may show up sometimes, but not others?

@cartoonist

wow, bummer. sounds like there is no fixing this problem and any further troubleshooting isnt necisary. *sarcasm*

the desktop.ini file contains some customizations to the folder, try deleting that file and refresh your directory listing. have you tried renaming the folder to something liek temp to see if its some strange long file name issue. sorry getting lazy dont want to read through the posting to see if you have. hope you all figure it out, i personally havent ran into this problem, sharing under any service pack level has always been flawless.

add all machine into the same workgroup. do you get same issue when you map a drive?

Question to ppl having this issue:

Are you seeing that the folders which dont show up are the same folders every time or are you finding that one folder may show up sometimes, but not others?

It are the same folders and files all the time, it's really weird. I changed permissions like 20 times now and it are still the same folders who refuse to show up or to display their contents :blink:

Hey guys, just happened to stumble across this and I have the EXACT same problem. I have almost an identical setup and have the same problems. I have also tried all the solutions proposed in this thread and none have worked so far.

Few questions for those of you who are affected by this:

• What OS are the files being shared from? I've been under the impression that all files are being shared from Windows XP SP2, but I would like to confirm this.
  • What OS are the folders not showing up on? I've gotten the impression that this is also limited to Windows XP SP2, but, again, would like it confirmed.
  • Do the files/folders not show up when accessed by any PC, or do they display fine on some, missing on others?
  • If the latter, what OS is being run on the machine where the folders can be seen properly?
  • Is there anything you can think of that the affected folders have in common? (length of name, specific characters in the name, share folder depth, etc...)
  • Will the folder show up if you use a mapped drive when mapping via ComputerName?
  • Will the folder show up if you use a mapped drive when mapping via IP?
  • Will the folder show up if you rename it, as gigabitfx suggested?
  • Will the folder show up if you rename the parent folder?
  • Has anyone contacted MS to see if this is a known issue? (I did a quick search on their support site, but didn't find anything.)

I'm fortunate enough to not be experiencing difficulty at the moment, so unfortunately I can't test any of my ideas on my own. Hope this helps, as I would like to know just for myself what the issue is.

@cartoonist

wow, bummer. sounds like there is no fixing this problem and any further troubleshooting isnt necisary. *sarcasm*

:huh: I'll be sure to come to you the next time I get a phone call saying no one in the office has access to email and I want someone to suggest I have each and every one of them recreate their Outlook profile. *More sarcasm*

I'm sure if we snap at each other enough, the problem we're trying to fix will get so fed up with listening to us bicker that it will fix itself just so we'll shut up. *Still more sarcasm* :blink:

Could we maybe get back to just trying to fix the problem at hand, instead of hurling not-so-subtle insults at each other?

What OS are the files being shared from? I've been under the impression that all files are being shared from Windows XP SP2, but I would like to confirm this.
Windows XP SP2
What OS are the folders not showing up on? I've gotten the impression that this is also limited to Windows XP SP2, but, again, would like it confirmed.
Windows XP SP2
Do the files/folders not show up when accessed by any PC, or do they display fine on some, missing on others?
Yes.. its always the same folders which dont show up, regardless of PC
Is there anything you can think of that the affected folders have in common? (length of name, specific characters in the name, share folder depth, etc...)
No rhyme or reason here. Of a top lvl directory, there may be 2-3 folders which dont show up in it. Of those which do show up, there are sub-directories in them which dont show up as well.. so in other words, its not all 1 lvl or one 'branch' of a directory tree structure.
Will the folder show up if you use a mapped drive when mapping via ComputerName?
No.
Will the folder show up if you use a mapped drive when mapping via IP?
Out of 3 pcs on my network, 2 can see all folders via IP, 1 cant- the one that cant is also the one which doesnt have that TCP/IP / NETBIOS Helper service, so this may be the problem here.
Will the folder show up if you rename it, as gigabitfx suggested?
No
Will the folder show up if you rename the parent folder?
Yes and no. This is the really wierd thing here.. try to follow me here...

If I simply rename it by removing any amount of letters from the end of the folder name (i.e. folder named 'Testing' I rename to 'Tes'), the sub-folders still dont show up, this is the case all the way down to 1 letter.

And get this... If I remove up to 2 of the 1st 2 letters of the folder, the missing folders still dont show up, BUT if I remove more than 2 they show up! I tested this out on numerous parent dirs of the missing folders and the results were the exact same... all of the parent folder names vary in character length!! (anyone who is experiencing the same problem.. please test this out as Id be very curious to hear if its the same across the board)

If I add characters to the beginning, middle or end of the filename or rename it entirely the sub-dirs show up. As soon as you rename it back, however, the same folders disappear again. The results are the same regarless if the folder is renamed from the pc accessing the shares or the host pc itself. What the hell!?!?!?!

Has anyone contacted MS to see if this is a known issue?
Nope.

Another tidbit Ill add (however useless it may be) is that when the parent of the missing folders is shared out directly, I can veiw all sub-dirs without issue. However, this only seems to work 1 lvl at a time. In other words, if I share out the parent of the parent of the folder which contains missing folders, the missing folders dont show up (that make sense to anyone?? heh).

What OS are the files being shared from?
Winxp sp2
What OS are the folders not showing up on?

Winxp sp2

Do the files/folders not show up when accessed by any PC, or do they display fine on some, missing on others?
Files/folders do not show up, regardless which pc i use.
Is there anything you can think of that the affected folders have in common? (length of name, specific characters in the name, share folder depth, etc...)

Nope, it worked in the past, i can't think of a reason why it isn't working now.

Will the folder show up if you use a mapped drive when mapping via ComputerName?
Nope

Most of the time the folders show up when i connect via IP... but i just noticed something weird again; sometimes it works with ip, sometimes it works with hostname..

*Screenie*

Will the folder show up if you rename the parent folder?
Yes and no. This is the really wierd thing here.. try to follow me here...

If I simply rename it by removing any amount of letters from the end of the folder name (i.e. folder named 'Testing' I rename to 'Tes'), the sub-folders still dont show up, this is the case all the way down to 1 letter.

And get this... If I remove up to 2 of the 1st 2 letters of the folder, the missing folders still dont show up, BUT if I remove more than 2 they show up! I tested this out on numerous parent dirs of the missing folders and the results were the exact same... all of the parent folder names vary in character length!! (anyone who is experiencing the same problem.. please test this out as Id be very curious to hear if its the same across the board)

If I add characters to the beginning, middle or end of the filename or rename it entirely the sub-dirs show up. As soon as you rename it back, however, the same folders disappear again. The results are the same regarless if the folder is renamed from the pc accessing the shares or the host pc itself. What the hell!?!?!?!

I agree. "What the hell!?!?!?!" sums this one up perfectly.

Another tidbit Ill add (however useless it may be) is that when the parent of the missing folders is shared out directly, I can veiw all sub-dirs without issue.  However, this only seems to work 1 lvl at a time.  In other words, if I share out the parent of the parent of the folder which contains missing folders, the missing folders dont show up (that make sense to anyone??  heh).

Made sense to me, but I'm nuts, so that's far from conclusive. :P

I'm running out of ideas on this one. What really drives me nuts is the whole "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" thing. :realmad:

Something that may be worth trying: Connect a PC (or virtual PC) that is running a different OS to the network to see if the missing folders are still missing, or if they display normally. If they work properly with completely seperate OS's, try using Windows XP RTM (Gold) or SP1, to see if that makes a difference.

Also, it may be worthwile to try sharing the same folders out from a seperate OS, to see if they are affected that way when browsing from XP SP2 machines as well. I realise that the size of the shares may make this a somewhat impractical test.

Hope this helps.

Not that it really matters, but its not hit or miss with me.. the missing folders are always missing... its not that they show up sometimes and dont others. I think thats everyone elses experience as well?

Most of the time the folders show up when i connect via IP... but i just noticed something weird again; sometimes it works with ip, sometimes it works with hostname..

*Screenie*

This one is different, anyway. *Shrugs.* You're right though, that's hardly the real issue. :)

**** this is lame.

lol-

just a guess- I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the Master Browser (not IE)?

Is that related to NetBT (NetBIOS over TCP/IP)?

e.g. master browser not "refreshing" like it should?

I dunno- :no: