Major WinXP Sharing Issue / Annoyance

durex

After a bit more digging.. i think i may know what the problem is... after comparing a normal PC, which had a factory installed copy of Windows, to the one thats having the issue resolving hostnames, I found that the one with the issue doesnt have the Windows service 'TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper'.  I must have nLite'd it out without realizing it.  I would assume not having this service would cause this type of problem.

While I haven't nLited it out, I have that service disabled on both of my computers, and I don't have any problems. Maybe it's not the service itself, but the files that nLite removes that are the culprit here.

I have have the same problem before i found out about nlite .. and i still have it now. I googled it before and it said something about the problem being windows xp's fault and microsoft claims that its not.

It could also be an issue with permissions. I remember having to set the permissions for the child directories with something like "Apply this settings to all subfolders and files", but I can't remember where that is.

Maybe with Simple File Sharing turned off, you can find the setting a bit easier (no SFS gives you the permissions tab in folder properties).

Well, I can tell you that...

1. I always have the 'Display full path in address bar' checked

2. Ive checked permissions about 10 times and verified that all parent permissions are propagating to the child objtecs

3. Have Simple File Sharing turned on.

Im going to try to get around to remaking my UACD in the next few days, ensuring that the NetBIOS component isnt removed and post back my results.

Have you tried turning off Simple File Sharing? That's always the first thing that I disable on my computers, since I share between XP Home and XP Pro computers on my network.

Hi,

I may have the solution for your problem:

Try activating NetBIOS. (Might work.) You can do this in Control Panel > Network connections > (network device) > internet protocol (TCP/IP) > Advanced > WINS.

After installing my router I had the problem that I could only access the PCs by IP address untill I enabled NetBIOS. My router obviously disabled NetBIOS.

Netbios is enabled on all pc's, all hidden folders and files are unhidden.

I can see some of the folders and files by using the hostname, but some folders/files are not shown because of some reason. When I use the IP I see all files/folders..

I've been suggested to clear netbios cache (nbtstat -r /nbtstat -rr), but that didn't help either. I also have a router (dlink di604).

this is the same problem right: navigating to my shares using UNC path, the destination displays fine, but when you click down into child directories the files may appear momentarily, then dissapear. I found that backing up then back into the directory the files then show.

I have had the same problem since installing XPSP2 on my network, not that I think this is the problem. My shares haven't changed in some time, one is 3+ years old so there's definately no permissions problems that caused any problems pre SP2. Shares are on W98 & XPSP1, and i'm sure with other SP2 PC's.

Then I also notice the same problem on my home network, again - working flawlessly pre SP2.

I have found that without manually specifying the DNS server address the machines refuse to connect at all.

If you successfully connect using IP - does that make every subfolder behave as well? I hope this is the same problem because i'd love to fix it. [unable to check right now].

Cheers

[edit] Oh yeah - there is a limit to the number of connections to a share in a desktop O/S - and not with server O/S's [such is my limited understanding]. Into my XP box it refuses to connect after about 10 simultaneous connections. [must move the share to a server ;)]

NetBIOS simple explanation short- 1 page

It's my understanding that NetBIOS/NetBEUI is what Windows uses to give a PC a name in a LAN via Network Neighborhood and My Network.

From the above link

NetBIOS standardizes the interface between applications and a LANs operating capabilities. With this, it can be specified to which levels of the OSI model the application can write to, making the application transportable to other networks. In a NetBIOS LAN enviroment, computers are known on the system by a name.

I also have a book somewhere around here that explains more in depth of how Windows uses NetBIOS/NetBEUI, I'll try to locate it if I can.

Using an original CD, Windows installs w/NetBEUI over TCP/IP by default, and when I disabled over TCP/IP, I could no longer use computernames in Explorer address bar, only IP addresses.

Even with my Win2K Server having it enabled it wouldn't work, from the server to my personal XP (Pro SP1a) PC. That's because there was no name configured for my XP machine via NetB/B, and no NetBIOS running. Same for another PC here with XPPro SP2 fully patched.

Another thing, in my previous post, there's a link to follow that tells of using the NetBIOS from Win2K in XP, stating that W2K NetB/B is better, even confirmed by a Microsoft employee. Very interesting read, btw.

I think that may also be why when adding a networked printer I have to enter the server IP address and printer name manually, as it won't show up in "Browse for printer.." because there's no 'computername' available.

i.e. \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\printername

*I have NetBEUI disabled but File/Print sharing enabled (for the printer).

Okay.. so Ive verified my problem isnt with that one pc which doesnt have the 'TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper' service, Ive tested this out on other, non-modified pcs on the network and i have the same problem...

Another thing to add is that its ALWAYS the same sub-folders that I cant see when accessing the shares... it doesnt change every time or at all for that matter.

Now to respond to replies...

Have you tried turning off Simple File Sharing?

I actually mistyped in my previous post, i have simple file sharing off on all pcs
select "show hidden files and folders"

Its selected on all pcs...
Try activating NetBIOS.

I have it set to 'Default' on all pcs. I think Ive even tried setting it to enabled on all pcs and had the same problem.
this is the same problem right: navigating to my shares using UNC path, the destination displays fine, but when you click down into child directories the files may appear momentarily, then dissapear. I found that backing up then back into the directory the files then show.

No, this isnt the problem. The sub-folders that dont show up, never show up. Not even momentarily as you said.

**** this is annoying.. but Im glad to hear Im not the only one with the problem.

I used to have a problem almost, if not exactly like this when trying to help set up a VPN. At that time we just chalked it up to wonky VPN software, and implemented an FTP server solution that suited our needs just as well. Seems like there may be more to it after all.

As I recall, in our particular situation, the (sub)folders were not showing up even though we were accessing them using the IP addresses. I don't believe whether we ever tested whether or not we could directly access the subfolders by typing the full path into the address bar.

Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any common properties in the folders that aren't showing up correctly? I seem to recall that we were experimenting with the Media share off of my PC, and it can be rather obscenely large at times. I seem to recall that all of the smaller shares were being displayed correctly.

@durex

I believe I have the same problem as you, the difference being, no matter how I access the computer (via IP address or computer name) I can't see random files/folders. My friend suggested that XP can't handle the task of sharing too many files at once. I checked on my comp, and I have about 250,000-300,000 files being shared. I don't know if this high file count is a factor, but I plan on moving most of the files to a server soon, so hopefully that will fix it. You might want to see just how many files you have...it can't hurt.