Major WinXP Sharing Issue / Annoyance

durex

Im having some major problems with Windows XP file sharing over my LAN.

I have numerous folders shared out from 1 pc and when I goto browse them from another xp pc, there are a number of random sub-folders that i can either dont show up or cannot view the contents of.

Its extremely annoying and I just cant figure out what the hell is going on. Ive double checked security and share permissions on both pc's, tried re-created the share, rebooting and dont see any reason as to why this is occuring.

The really strange thing is, I can type the full path to one of these hidden folders and it will show the contents...

Any suggestions?

I had a similar problem. I installed simple simple tcp/ip services and seem to solve my problem.

control panel>add/remove programs>add/remove windows components . under networking

Hope that helps.

could be anitvirus program, I use kaspersky on both my systems and it will cause a timeout when i am copying files, or browsing folders that have a lot of files, etc. Since it scans them all before I can see them.

Tried disabling the AV and still no go.

I thought I remember reading someplace that WinXp only allows a certain amount of shares or something... Ive been looking all over and havent been able to find anything...

help!

Well, for anyone who cares... I figured out a workaround for this, but still not sure as to whats causing it.

After a bunch of troubleshooting I realized that if I accessed my shares using my IP address instead of the hostname, I could see all of the folders without issue. I then added the IP and hostname of the PC which has the shares setup to the hosts file of the PC which i was trying to access the shares from and BLAM I was able to browse all folders without issue.

Id still love to find out why the hell I need to do this in order to see all shares over the network... I really dont think Ive ever had this issue before....

just of the top of my head...

Are you running any sort of DCHP setup i.e. in a router or anything?

Even if not, so long as your IP addresses on each pc are using the same network segment i.e.:

IP - 192.168.0.x

Netmask - 255.255.255.0

then it should work fine so long as you username/password is the same on both machines, and you have the correct permissions set (i know you say you have but still lol :D)

Both PC's are running XP right, and are they Home or Pro?

Is "File and Printer Sharing" exception in the Windows XP Firewall (SP2) ticked on both? The properties of this partcular exception shouldn't need to be changed btw :) but just make sure its ticked providing the firewall is on and you aren't using a 3rd party firewall program i.e. ZoneAlarm, Norton Firewall/NIS, Mcafee, etc.

Hope it helps - regards,

Nath.

You have to share at least one folder (not hidden) usually in order for the machine to be viewable and browsable (just to let you know).

This would definately apply to previous OS's also :)

Regards,

N.

@ it

Im running DHCP from my router, but the PC that is sharing out all of the folders is setup with a static IP. All PC's are on the same octet and subnet, none of them are running XP firewall, all are XP pro, same accounts are setup on both machines and Im accessing the folders via the admin shares. Ive even tried setting up seperate shares in the parent directories of the folders that wouldnt show up.

Heres the actual problem:

I've got my mp3 collection shared as "\\durexbox\music\" The problem is that for two PCs on the LAN, some of the folders within that share don't show up. Here's an example directory tree:

- durexbox (computer name)
- music (shared folder)
  - 311 (artist)
    - From Chaos (cd title)
      - 01 - You Get Worked.mp3 (and so on for all the tracks...)

Here's the problem: I can view down to the artist folder, but the cd folder doesn't show up; when I double-click on 311, I just see an empty directory. If I manually type into the address bar "\\durexbox\music\311\From Chaos" then I can view and play all the mp3s in that folder (so it's not really an access problem, it's just that I can't *see* the folders), but if I then go Up one level, the "From Chaos" folder still doesn't appear. The other thing is that if I go to the music share folder via the PC's IP address (192.168.1.100) instead of the network name (durexbox), then everything *will* be visible. I don't have this problem with every artist in my collection - it's just random ones, and it doesn't seem to be related to when the folder or files were created. Also, the other PC on the LAN doesn't have this problem; all the folders and files are perfectly viewable from it. Ive checked and re-checked permissions and all folders are setup the same. Hope this makes sense.

So again.... still no idea why I have the problem, but it got fixed as soon as I tossed the IP and hostname in the hosts file

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the issue has suddenly come back again... and the only way I can figure out to get around it is to use the IP address to access my PC's shares and not the hostname. Using the IP address works everytime, but using the hostname sporadically causes the above to occur... strange!

Well, the issue has suddenly come back again... and the only way I can figure out to get around it is to use the IP address to access my PC's shares and not the hostname.  Using the IP address works everytime, but using the hostname sporadically causes the above to occur... strange!

Have you checked your hosts file to see if the entries you put there still exist? You said that putting them in there in the first place cleared up the error, and I've lately found, much to my annoyance, that something has been clearing out my custom hosts file with a blank one. :angry:

Might want to check up on yours to see if that's what caused your error to show up again.

Hosts file still has the IP/Hostname in it and Ive verified that NetBIOS is set to default.

After a bit more digging.. i think i may know what the problem is... after comparing a normal PC, which had a factory installed copy of Windows, to the one thats having the issue resolving hostnames, I found that the one with the issue doesnt have the Windows service 'TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper'. I must have nLite'd it out without realizing it. I would assume not having this service would cause this type of problem.

Hi all,

I had the same problems with folders not showing up in shares. When I went to folder options on the pc where I couldn’t see the files and enabled "display the full path in address bar" in view, it suddenly showed all files. How unlikely it seems, it worked for me. I hope it works for you guys 2 or maybe I was just lucky.