Display driver to ATI Radeo 9600 on Dell Inspiron

I've installed Windows Server 2003 std on my laptop - a Dell Inspiron 8600. (I have my reasons)

But I'm having problems installing the display driver. I've tried both installing from device manager and installing from the setup file but no luck. When I install from device manager, the installation seems to be going as it should, but at the end when I expected "Succefully installed" I get "Failuer installing driver - Access denied". Also, when installing from setup, the installation seems to be going ok. But when rebooting I get some blue screen telling me that due to hardware changes a system memory dump is being performed, and I get to see the status on how the dump i going as well :thumbup (have to boot with last known good configurtaion to get back on)

Does anyone know how to solve this?

The Dell I-8600 has a wide-screen monitor and the correct resoluton is not available in the standard display driver in Win Server 2003 - that why this is realy bugging me.

I think that you also need to install drivers for your display in order to have the correct resolution showing in the display properties.

If you have problems installing ati driver, then try uninstalling the windows default driver from the device manager, then reboot in vga mode and try to install the ati driver again (if ati drivers don't work then try using radeon omega drivers (www.omegacorner.com) that usually are more compatible with radeon mobility cards)