What program is best to control my pc via internet

eyeXpose

I would like to be able to access my files (movies, music, games, programs) from another computer. I am tired of putting all of my stuff to disk and carrying it around with me to peoples houses. What is the best way to go about doing this? Please keep in mind I also want to be safe! Don't want to leave a big sign in front of my ip address that says "Welcome Hackers"

Thanks in advance,

eYe~

Get a small VPN server program and setup a VPN server to your network then youd can connect to it from and remote station and they will act like they are on your machine. If you just looking for remote control, if you have xp pro enable the remoting under control panel/system and then you can remote using terminal services.

peace

wyldeone

Heard that it's pretty much crap...

UltraVNC is definately the way to go with this. I've got it running on my desktop right now. If you're behind a router, a simple forwarding of some ports is all you need.

just use windows xp professional built-in remote desktop software, it's very fast, you can find it's client in all windows xp (accessories->communications->remote desktop) and it also transfers sounds! To enable it first must set up a password for your user and after go in control panel's system properties and enable it in the "remote connection" tab.

One of the nice advantages to UltraVNC is the built in file transfer. It allows you to browse the entire computer and transfer files very easily.

So does Remote Desktop. If you are useing XP Pro it really is the best solution.

I would like to be able to access my files (movies, music, games, programs) from another computer.  I am tired of putting all of my stuff to disk and carrying it around with me to peoples houses.  What is the best way to go about doing this?  Please keep in mind I also want to be safe!  Don't want to leave a big sign in front of my ip address that says "Welcome Hackers"

Thanks in advance,

eYe~

I find it interesting that not one person asked what kind of access you need to your files. If all you need is access to the files themselves, then perhaps the best solution would be to set up an FTP server. As far as sharing files across the internet, this has always been the best solution for me. Rather than opening up a potential access point for hackers with Remote Control or Remote Access software, an FTP server will allow you access only to the files you choose to allow access to.

Windows XP Pro includes everything you would need to set up an FTP server on your home machine. I personally have a seperate box set up to handle it, but it is certainly not required.

If remote access/control is what you are really looking for, I myself use RemotelyAnywhere. Can't say for sure how it compares to the products mentioned by others here because I have never used them. In my opinion, though, a lot of times it just comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Just my two cents.