When was the last time you reinstalled Windows?

sonu27

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. When was the last time you reinstalled Windows?

• Just did it today!
    • Last Week
    • Last Month
    • Past 6 months
    • Past Year
    • Past 2+ Years
    • My cumputer running fine, so never reformated it!

ya people,

Removed the Redhat 9 and installed win 2k professional .but it was a very old one.so m searching for the service packs :no: as even Adobe Acorbat 5 n above are not allowed to be installed.

regards,

Ootsoo

Over a year ago for me. I don't fill my PC with $H*T (It's bad for the circuit boards you know!! and when it hits the fans... :P ) so I don't need to keep rebuilding it!

On my test machines, I format them about once a week or two.. depends when I feel like it :P

On my MAIN machine... Formatted that about 2 and a half years ago ! LOL :D

The reason being is that, try formatting 1.8TB !! No thankyou

(and yes, I know I could partition the windows installation and just format that, but lets not go into that shall we)

My main reason I don't format is that it would take me three days to re-install all the 62 softwares currently installed on my machine...+ all the drivers, tweaks, configs...

pffff.... :whistle: just a little scan disk and a defrag once in a month, when the computer is not busy with somebody else, is fine for me.

W98SE unofficial SP2.01

B) Had to format after SP2. MS support in India, a guy named "Larry," a tier 5 level support person, had me reinstall Sp1 "over the top," of SP2!

At that time I was so p*ssed I did what he said. :blushing:

Format, re-install everything. Updated to April 11th. XP Pro SP1.

Treeman

I just redid my Windows laptop yesterday, while testing my unattended XP Pro DVD. Works like a charm. :)

@sonu27: I highly recommend Gentoo Linux. It is my personal favourite operating system, period. :) Gentoo has a bit of a learning curve for starters, but if you print out the install guide from here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/hand...-x86.xml?full=1 So that you can use it while installing, is simply a must for new users. You can download for free or buy CD's online from here: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml

This is my suggestion if you really want to learn Linux and like technical bits. If you decide to try it out and run into some trouble I'll be happy to help you out. :) Oh, I can't forget the crucial and excellent Gentoo forum: http://forums.gentoo.org

Hope you like it. :)

Once I got into nLite I was reformatting my computer at least twice a week at one point, I got so hooked on my own idea of 'the perfect' XP disc I stopped at nothing to create it! After a new nLite release I'd probably be reformatting again so on.

However though I'm glad to say that phase has kinda died out, my current XP install I've had running since March 12th, I think I made it with nLite 0.98 beta 8 or something (cant quite remember) but up to now I've had no problems at all :D However with that 1.0 release drawing ever nearer I think I might have to be making one last 'perfect' cd lol.

It's running brilliantly, and I will NEVER go back to an XP installation ever again that hasn't been ripped to shreds by my own hand lol.

PS. Sonu27, for a user friendly Linux distro, I recommend Fedora Core 3 :D

Technically its not the best distrobution to show off the true power of the penguin but its a great start with a good learning curve so beginners can get around it and enjoy it at the same time. :)

Of course you could try a LiveCD; Knoppix (recommended), Ubuntu, Debian (I think they do Live discs)