Is 64bit really better than 32bit?

WinXP 64bit has access to 4 more registers; theoretically, it can do things faster than Win32. However, most programs hardly need 64bit addressing (who has more than 4GB of RAM? servers, mostly) and most encoding apps, which CAN benefit, are written for 32bit Windows.

Even the 64bit Linux distros don't take advantage of 64bit processing (ie, SuSE 9.3, etc, as of 2005-05-23)

For the record, my Athlon64 3000 is rock-solid, not a single blue screen since inception. Uptime is months already.

im very impressed with 64bit, photoshop for 1st's opens up in lightning speeds and now that ive sorted all the drivers out, would just like to see some sort of 64bit clean up software on the market soon like system mechanic 64bit, cos the 32bit version does'nt do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

What makes a P4 so much better than a celeron, it's the cache right? by using 64 bit instructions your effectively halfing the cache on your processor how is that gonna make things faster?

64 bit isn't automatically faster, it only becomes faster if the application requires numbers beyond 32 bit. How many programs do you suppose need to use a number greater than 2,147,483,647? remember every application that doesn't need numbers bigger than this will run slower.

Given that the hard drive is the bottleneck iwhen loading apps not the CPU and the fact that 64 bit apps are generally larger I would be interested to know how photoshop loads faster?

I don't know all the numbers nor do I care. I know that Win x64 boots a lot faster, runs a lot faster and just feels better. ;)

I still have a dual boot system only because there are still issues with drivers and modems, for me at least.

FarCry 64 bit installation went well and the game runs so nice, framerate may not be much higher but it doesn't drop either. :D

Photoshop CS2 does load and run faster and I do a lot of PS work so I can tell the difference.

Give it a go, at least with Win x32 to back you up, you won't be dissapointed.

64-bit now AMD 64-bit processor got second edition, with socket 939, then 64-bit technology, i dun think it is stable now, and we shouldn't waste those money for hardware upgrade....

Intel 64-bit coming soon.... i fully support intel :P

Windows Longhorn still Based on 32-bit, why need 64-bit :whistle:

Just wait for while..... When it is ready for 64-bit, longhorn should be ready for it

Edited by roy1984

my 64 bit system runs like a dream :D

windows 64 is fast and stable (more stable than xp32, because of the server 2003 core)

Intel 64-bit coming soon.... i fully support intel  :P

intel 64bit processors are out already

they ripped amd's ideas off, because their first idea of a 64bit only chip failed miserably, it wouldn't run 32bit apps without emulation, and ran them very slowly.

now with amd's insight they are releasing 32bit chips with 64bit extensions, lol

64bit is here now, and here to stay!

(at least until we move up to 128bit, lol)

edit: in all honesty tho. you will need to tinker with a 64bit system to get it to run properly, but that's all part of the fun of owning the latest technology.

it's still a smoother transition than upgrading from 98 to XP when it first came out :D (imo)

but at the end of the day if you're not prepared to look for drivers and use beta drivers/software, then yes at this point in time then you should leave XP64...... for now

Edited by Pyr0

too much 3rd party stuff broke with x64 - try getting flexlm to work - what the hell 64bit apps are you guys using to say you have 'huge speed increases'? my guess is you just think you're too cool for school since you're running basically BETA Winx64. you're not. it sucks. end of story.

(and I _have_ a 64bit 3400 machine, just FYI)

Edited by jabbermacy

The sheer ignorance in some of these posts astounds me. There is nothing "unstable" about the AMD64's. In fact, they run so much cooler than P4's. And even proved their stability in the THG dual-core competition (if you can read between THG's biased lines). I've been running a dual-boot XP/x64 system since RC1. Been running x64 almost exclusively (though still dual-boot) since RC2 and now running dual-boot but still almost exclusively x64 with the final OEM release. My games run better. My system performs better. True there are a lot of driver issues to work out still. Chipset drivers are pretty much set (Nvidia and Via at least anyway). Video card drivers are good for Nvidia, not so good for Ati though admittedly. Printer drivers are lacking as well as some mass-storage drivers. But even in spite of all that, x64 is worth it for those who don't mind spending a little time tweaking their computer. Sure, x64 may just be a stepping stone to 64-bit Longhorn, but it's still here and ready.

• 2 weeks later...
I got about 10 extra FPS on farcry x64...

<sarcasm> woohoo </sarcasm>

ya but 10 more fPS with better graphics if it was exactly the same graphics that 10 FPS would be minimal, but considering that it got a graphical update, and runs faster says something.

Edited by ender341

Definitely I think 64 bit is better. I think it is actually more stable than 32bit xp and I don't have any problems with it. More and more things are being made in 64 bit. And the drivers are maturing really fast, ATI and creative now have official 64 bit drivers that work really well. Internet Explorer 64 bit seems faster. Everything about x64 xp seems fast and smooth and very professional and clean. I have also used fraps on x64 with farcry 64 bit and it runs so much smoother, it's really nice.

I think anyone deciding between 32 bit and 64 bit should pick 64 bit. Because at this point a lot of the kinks have been worked out, drivers are pretty mature and stable, and more and more programs are coming out in 64 bit.