How to backup/xcopy LFN in dos to backup windows

chankya

Dear All

How can backup and restore windows in msdos mode with longfilename enabled in it.

or any idea to copy windows in dos mode retaining longfilename in it so that we can restore windows and program folder without disturbing any other files in c: drive. so that we dont need to install windows again.

Best Site for All Microsoft Operating System All Latest Updates Patches is There even LINUX tutorials and u dont like GAMES

http://www.mdgx.com/

Best ever Explorer Firefox

MSFN ENJOY !!!

MSS ENJOY !!!

THANKS to all LOVEING people for there sweet suggestions to improve this mession.

Thanks u MDGx

Dear All i have find it 4 all of us.

http://lfntools.sourceforge.net/readme.txt

ALWAYS GET THE LATEST VERSION FROM =>http://www.odi.ch/

These are the short discriptions for the files

LDIR.EXE List a directory/folder like DIR

LCD.EXE Changes to any directory/folder like CD

LREN.EXE Renames a file like REN

LDEL.EXE Deletes a file line DEL

LCHK.EXE Display information about a volume

LCOPY.EXE Copies files better than COPY

LMD.EXE Creates a directory like MD

LRD.EXE Removes a directory like RD

The Lcopy.exe is just like xcopy uses /s and /a for subdirectroy and for archive.

Thanks u MDGx

Dear All i have find it 4 all of us.

http://lfntools.sourceforge.net/readme.txt

ALWAYS GET THE LATEST VERSION FROM =>http://www.odi.ch/

These are the short discriptions for the files

LDIR.EXE List a directory/folder like DIR

LCD.EXE Changes to any directory/folder like CD

LREN.EXE Renames a file like REN

LDEL.EXE Deletes a file line DEL

LCHK.EXE Display information about a volume

LCOPY.EXE Copies files better than COPY

LMD.EXE Creates a directory like MD

LRD.EXE Removes a directory like RD

The Lcopy.exe is just like xcopy uses /s and /a for subdirectroy and for archive.

Best Site for All Microsoft Operating System All Latest Updates Patches is There even LINUX tutorials and u dont like GAMES

MSFN ENJOY !!!

THANKS to all LOVEING people for there sweet suggestions to improve this mission.

UPDATED ON 19-05-05

U can also use DOSLFN.COM to see long file name including copy.

enjoy

MSFN ENJOY !!!

THANKS to all LOVEING people for there sweet suggestions to improve this mission.

• 1 month later...

--those tools are good for backup copies, but if ya then want to zip/unzip (or maybe burn to cd) the copied dirs/files, you will need to add an additional tool, DOSLFNBK:

-because of a REDICULOUS inherent glitch in win95/98/98se's file creation function: if ya unzip a backup, the associations between each file/folder's Long File Name and it's Short File Name (SFN, or "8.3" DOS name) will sometimes get messed-up: windows assigns the SFN's in a flawed way, assigning the "~1", "~2" during the re-creation of the files, NOT from the original file's information... this flaw will sometimes swap the SFN's for similarly-named files/folders, when unzipping or copying/moving, and that causes glitches/errors/instability... DOSLFNBK backs-up the LFN/SFN associations for a directory tree, then ya have to "strip" away the LFN's BEFORE zipping em up (so that when unzipping, windows won't screw-up the SFN's because of the LFN's), then when unzipping the backup, run DOSLFNBK /R to automatically rename/restore the LFN's to the newly-created SFN files...

-it's not as hard as it sounds, but it IS the only way to ensure that each file and folder gets it's original SFN/LFN back properly... any files or folders which have the same first 6 characters (for example, in Program Files, the folders "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Update" have SFNs "WINDOW~1" and "WINDOW~2", and after zipping/unzipping, those "~1,~2" 's sometimes get swapped) are vulnerable to this "built-in" Windows flaw, which is the reason DOSLFNBK was created... (note: copying/burning files/folders to a backup cd messes with the SFN's even worse: ya really gotta zip em all up first)

-so, before zipping up a backup copy, run "doslfnbk . /all" (works in both real-mode dos or inside Windows), then strip away the LFN's (several different methods to do this: in real-dos mode, any regular copy (not LCOPY) will do it, or inside Windows use "XXCOPY /N", the "/N" strips away the LFN leaving only the SFN for the copy), then zip it up, and when restoring, just unzip, then run "doslfnbk . /r" to restore all the LFN's... (if ya use PKZIP, it's "-n" option will ignore the LFN's, using only the SFN's, during the zip operation, so stripping the LFN's ahead of time is not necessary... but ya still need to use DOSLFNBK before & after the zip, to return the LFN's)

-every (FREE) copy/zip/backup program that I've tried (and I've tested SO MANY, including Window's own MSBACKUP!) has the same LFN/SFN creation flaw (with the exception of backing-up entire hard drive partitions; but that's a PAIN), they WILL sometimes swap the SFN's between similiarly-named files/folders, believe it or not, and that can cause problems... the ONLY method I've found that ALWAYS works is what I've mentioned above... MAYBE some "pay $" backup programs will automatically do the DOSLFNBK-functions, properly, but I've tested just about every FREE copy/zip/backup util, and they've all failed! (-Made me tear my hair out in clumps, for a very frustrating 2-wk testing period last year... lol)

>;]

Edited by PsycoUnc

Almost any unix recovery disk can do this. With a few minutes reading you can use

the tar bzip2 method to create your backups with LFN's intact. I've been doing my

backups for several years this way.

Tom's Root Boot disk is good for a floppy version and the Recovery is possible disk

is good for a bootable cdrom.