c:\windows\system32\presetup.cmd file not found

captainamer71

Ok I followed the directions exactly inside Installation_Instructions.htm which came with what I downloaded with the latest release. I did IT exactly. I used Nlite BUT nothing was removed on put in a unattended install. and before I slipstream the driver packs it installs with out any problems and runs fine. In virtual pc 2004 that is.

But once I slipstream the driver packs in using either method 1 or 2 it will not install and I get this.

"C:\windows\system32\presetup.cmd file not found

C:\windows\system32\setuporg.exe file not found

cause

Presetup.cmd not in i386 uxpcd

setuporg.exe no in i386 uxpcd

check txtsetup.sif in i386 folder"

This comes up after the system rebooted for first time after the winxp logo and right before it shows up that it is installing. in the light blue screen.

I have started over from scratch 6 times and tried each thing I can come up with. And I searched on here and the nlite forum. and I can not find anything for the last two days that has todo with this. :no:

I have tried and tried. I saw that it is said that to test the drivers you can not use virtual pc or vmware. but I assumed it would atleast install? I would very much like to get some idea that i am not gonna be :realmad: by jacking up my only pc. I have made several Unattended installs for winxp but never put the driver pack in one of them and Set my mind to it that I will get it to work and fit all on one cd. somehow.

If anyone has any suggestion or a fix that would be real nice if you could let me know.

If you have anything negative you could also be real nice and keep that to yourself.

Have a nice day or night. :thumbup

Have you checked inside of txtsetup.sif with notepad?

This error can be caused if txtsetup.sif had not been edited.

Open txtsetup.sif and search for presetup.cmd

just under presetup.cmd should be setuporg.exe

If those entries do not exist

Then go back to the top of the txtsetup.sif file and search for the first instance of:

[SourceDisksFiles]

Then just under it add:

presetup.cmd = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
setupORG.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

So it should look like:

[SourceDisksFiles]
presetup.cmd = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
setupORG.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

Make sure presetup.cmd and setuporg.exe exist in the I386 directory as well.

If you checked all of this and still have the problem post back and we'll see what we can do to help.

You can also try my "PowerPacker" app to see if it will help you. The link is in my signature. ;) Good Luck!

presetup.cmd and setuporg.exe  are not anywhere.... what makes those files? or how do I get them?    thanks for the help.

OK. What probably happend is you skipped the most important step.

First you need to go to Bashrats site and make sure you get The DriverPack Base.

Execute the file and it will extract a bunch of stuff.

You should see a "DriverPacks" folder.

That folder is where you should download all of the driverpacks. (I would suggest skipping the Mass Storage DriverPack for now, untill you get a working disk.)

Once you have downloaded all of the driverpacks to the "DriverPacks" directory... Click on the file called "BTS_DPs_Slipstreamer_V505x.cmd"

Go through all of the steps.

Your best bet in my opinion (For Now) is to choose Method 2.

It will grab all of the files it needs and put them in a directory called "UWXPCD_ROOT"

Copy all of the contents inside of the directory "UWXPCD_ROOT"

And put it at the root level with your I386 directory.

Now you need to click on "RUN_ME.CMD"

I have had most success latley with the "RunOnceEx" option.

It will ask for a number... I usually put 937 (Which is default).

KtD option is if you want to keep the drivers on the system after install is complete.

This is still in Experimental Stage so I would select "NO" (For Now). But from what I hear it seems to work fine.

Let the script finish all the way. when it is done you should be ready to make your ISO.

If you run into any other troubles try to look in the file "Readme.htm" that is extracted from the DriverPacks Base. It goes into a bit more detail.

Or if you still have troubles post back here. Good Luck.

Ok I have two seperate FULLY working copies of winxp that I have done everything to. Now I am following your directions exactly. in virtual pc. after the files are copied and it reboots when it gets done with the windows xp black screen it flashes to the blue screen of the install and then I get a blue screen with a error in it. I am doing this on two seperate computers with two copies of win xp pro sp1a that Do physically install and run perfect. Any Idea why the driver packs are messing it up? Guess I should just be happy that I have what I have. Or do the driver packs just not work that well. seems like they are kinda buggy. I run the runme.cmd and it says can not open file repeatedly but it does not give any errors and it finishes saying nothing about how it just jacked up my winxp files lol.

Oh well

Could you specify the error you get?

The error should say a filename or something in it. That would help to point you in the right direction.

It sounds like you have it working... but one of the drivers aren't loading right.

If you aren't installing the Mass Storage drivers this doesn't happen often. The times when I have encountered a problem the most, (without mass storage drivers) is on some Dell computers. I get the portsys error. This error is caused by a sound driver. You can read more about it in the DriverPack Sound section. Allthough I haven't been getting that error latley I have seen a few others claiming to have had a problem with it.

Don't give up... you are almost there. ;)

• 2 years later...

And here I am three years later having the same question. To the best of my knowledge I have followed the advice given in this thread, to no avail but a headache. My problem is excactly as described above. But a picture speaks a thousand words:

post-181472-1205359102_thumb.jpg

Edited by lakersforce

• 1 month later...
And here I am three years later having the same question. To the best of my knowledge I have followed the advice given in this thread, to no avail but a headache. My problem is excactly as described above. But a picture speaks a thousand words:

I'm having the same problem. Was a solution ever found?

• 9 months later...

SOLUTION:

For the experts:

Manually copy SetupORG.exe and presetup.cmd from the i386 folder to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder. Restart the computer and continue with setup.

Complete Intro:

I got this error while working with a difficult laptop, a Fujitsu Siemens L1310G. The normal boot process with a XPSP2 with DriverPacks and Nlite was not working. The DVD drive was uncooperative, probably dirty or damaged, it would not boot even with a Verbatim DVD-R. The last 4.5 Gigs of the hard drive became a FAT32 partition. All the sources for the install were copied there. The first part became a 70 Gig partition of FAT32. The DOS system on D: was transferred to the first partition and it became C:.

C: 70 Gigs (installation destination)

D: 4.5 Gigs (Copy of slipstreamed install from DVD)

Booting off C:, I went to D:\I386 and entered WINNT to begin setup.

The DOS-based portion of XP Setup was unable to copy SETUPORG.EXE and PRESETUP.CMD. I choose continue.

Setup finished and restarted the computer, then the error showed up as the previous poster indicated.

I pressed OK at the error, let the computer reboot, choosing to boot into DOS. On the boot-menu the DOS options looks like 'Microsoft Windows', meaning the DOS version was v7.1. It may also say 'Previous Operating System on C:'.

COPY D:\I386\SETUPORG.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

COPY D:\I386\PRESETUP.CMD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Restart the computer and allow it to continue setup.