Do you like java?

sonu27

Do you like java?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like java?

• Yes
    • No

• 3 weeks later...

Nah. It's too slow and hogs up too much memory. I'm not a big fan of the language either. People tend to think it's the only option for cross-platform, but that's far from true. I use BitTornado, Gaim, Audacity, VLC and Firefox on Windows all the time, and AFAIK they're all originally designed for Linux/Mac (or at least maintain versions for them).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hate Java. Yes it does hog up system memory, for example, Limewire. I download multiple files at once, and what do you know, my computer lags badly. Wish the Limewire people would fix this, or move to another programming code.

And learning the program language is a nightmare. Failed it, and I'll try to avoid it, though I wanted to re-do the subject again, but time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Java because I do live in Java island :P

btw, it's powerful in its cross-platform portability, write an application in Java and You can deploy & run it on wide variety of operating systems, e.g. Win32, Win64, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, etc. without rewriting & reconfiguring the application at all :)

For those who don't like Java, are You sure You haven't executed any Javascript codes in Your browser during surfing lately :D LoL

LoL :D look at the source of this page, it contains Javascript :thumbup

I absolutely detest its application to PCs. The claimed advantage of Java is that it's compatible with different machine architectures, but -- how many different architectures are common anyway? There's only one, and that's the x86/PC (soon to be IA64/PC). I find Java, just like .NET, an unnecessary extra layer of code that only wastes system resources and decreases performance.

However, the only application I see for Java is in handsets and PDAs, where architectures still have not standardised yet. There is where it is very useful.

But still, Native code > Interpreted code.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes being that an online MMORPG I play is based off the JAVA-Platform. Using the latest Microsoft JVM instead of SUN however.

If you also mean JavaSCRIPT then definately yes as I actively use it in my web-based projects. Heavily used to cut down bandwidth use between server->client transfers, manipulate\send data, and recieve data using an emulated form of AJAX to collect data dynamically in the form of Javascript instead of XML.

Edited by Chozo4

lol. RuneScape sucks :) and also JavaScript is waaaaaaay diffrent than Java. the two have no relation(except for the name)

anyways, Java is crap. there are no good programs that use it(except Eclipse dammit) and as a lot of people have said, Resource Hog. really uneeded.

Too much people are confusing java and javacript indeed, which are totally different even though they sound alike.

Javascript is what your web browser executes (inside web pages). That's NOT java (so anyone who said they like it based on that...)

Java is a programming language. It DOESN'T run in a web page / web browser or such. Ok, there *are* applets (like pjirc and what not), but most people don't want to run those (and are usually a bit freaked out because they're not signed as no one wants to pay for the certificates), also because it takes a while for the browser's java plugin to start, jvm and all (can be quite slow on older PCs), also because people have a problem executing/trusting anybody's code on a web page, people complaining they got to download a 20mb+ JVM to "view a web page"... (people tend to prefer dhtml/ajax/flash stuff to applets generally speaking)

As for liking java or not... Yes and no? It has its uses, but it's not the one and only solution either. Besides, what does the question really ask? Do you (dis)like java... the language itself? the jvm's startup times? on the desktop or server side? the license? ... This question is far too broad to be answered by just yes or no. There's points to like (some mentionned later in post), and others that aren't so great (the XML overdose, some widget toolkits, jvm initial load times)...

It can be cross-platform, but the whole "write once run everywhere" thing like some mentionned is patently false. It's more like "write once, debug everywhere". Some apps need a certain version of a jvm to work properly, in many cases, they almost have to write a version of the app for every jvm (j2me for every phone seems to differ), some PCs have what I'd call "defective" jvms (MS'), etc.

It's a pretty good language with a decent set of features (garbage collection, generics, threads, etc etc), has good and stable/mature frameworks, it has some good dev tools (eclipse like mentionned before, but also intellij, and Sun's now-free products to name a few more), scales well, the JIT is always getting better (hotspot is quite good), there's a bunch of app servers (including free ones and big behemoths), it has good support, it has good performance (excluding initial jvm startup time), it's widely known, ...

Native/unmanaged code is preferred by some, but it takes FAR more time to develop that way for many apps, resulting directly in longer dev times and unreasonable costs. I'm all for managed/garbage collected languages. And as for the RAM usage of these, RAM is dirt cheap nowadays. 1GB (2x512) of Crucial Rendition DDR2 is like 80$USD currently, while the average programmer earns like 40$/hr+ (add administrative overhead, benefits and all so almost double the rate).

Anyhow. I'm definitely a C# person (.Net 2.0 rocks!)