Free ISO editor/creator

ZeroHour

Hi

I need a free ISO editor that will allow me to create a iso from some files and make it bootable. Also it would be nice if it supported DVD as I want to repackage some stuff on CD and put it on DVD with extra files.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Hi

I need a free ISO editor that will allow me to create a iso from some files and make it bootable. Also it would be nice if it supported DVD as I want to repackage some stuff on CD and put it on DVD with extra files.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Take a look at CD Burner ProXP ] Cd Burner Pro Xp . Despite the name, it also handles DVD burners plus ISO formats and will create a bootable disc.

Gene :hello:

If your looking for a freeware replacement for WinISO/UltraISO/etc. then I don't think there is really anything truly similar... and Ive looked. As far as I could tell from testing them ISObuster and CDMage don't actually give you any real editing ability over your ISO (ie.- you can't even select a file and delete it/rename it/etc.). As far as CD Burner XP Pro, while it is a good program, I dont believe it has any editing ability either (or I missing something?). I know that its able to write and burn ISOs but I've never even see the option to open an ISO file. If I am wrong, please correct me or if anyone does know of a worthy freeware alternative to say WinISO/UltraISO I would be more than happy to be corrected :yes:

btw... if you do find something please post back or pm me thanks. or if anyone is interested in writing one i know some c++ and would be willing to finish learning vb but i wouldn't have the first clue how to write it without someone who knows more. :whistle:

You can use CDImage Pro. It's a program thought for MS internal use only, but you can download it for free. It has a lot of command line options and you can run it through a batchfile.

I think it's very nice program, especially because I like the command line.

When you download it, there a boot sector for XP and a batchfile included, so it's very easy to use.

Then what the hell is point of posting! I use nero just google for some guides

Argh, I posted because even though it isn't free, that doesn't always stop some people from getting/using it. And also because it is a very good program, despite not being free.

@All

Hey, guys, why don't you take it easy :), and actually READ the request:

will allow me to create a iso from some files and make it bootable

most probably ZeroHour did not mean to use the term "ISO editor".:no:

@ZeroHour

You can use good old mkisofs, part of cdrtools:

homepage:

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/cdrecord.html

Win32 port:

http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/t/tplank/

and CDrecord:

http://cdr.dpaehl.de/

jaclaz

• 5 years later...

Cheers for all your suggestions guys.

Going to look into them all next week :D

Cheers to you as well mate...

Here is an alternative it is a little known fact that the author of ISObuster turned coat on us and started charging only from version 1.0 on...

Really ticks me off I will not support this or purchase it because of this if he would have done a donation based freeware I would have gladly donated to him a reasonable amount of money over time!

But here is your baby check this out version 0.99.9 [pointless link removed]

Read em and weep any coders out there care to do a freeware ISO Editor let me know I'll be the first on board to donate!

Here is an alternative it is a little known fact that the author of ISObuster turned coat on us and started charging only from version 1.0 on...

Little known? It's been that way (having a commercial license along with the free version) for oh, 8 years or so. Whoever hasn't figured it out by now likely never will.

Really ticks me off

Why's that? It's not like they owe you anything. I see no problem with a company that wants to make money from their products. They have employees to pay (you know, with families to support and rent to pay), many bills just like any business (office space rental, utilities, employee benefits, hosting, insurance, etc) and all that. Where's the problem? Are they expected to fund development out of their own pocket forever just so they can give it away (sounds like a great business model, right?) because some people have a sense of entitlement?

if he would have done a donation based freeware I would have gladly donated to him a reasonable amount of money over time!

People always say those things, and in the end the donations never materialize. Just for this site alone, just ask the guys behind nlite, wpi, hfslip and others how much they received over the years (or even donations to keep this site running). And it's hardly limited to this site. The vast majority of donation-supported projects never see a penny (just like the army of highly skilled unpaid coders never shows up to back open source projects). Besides, making something like isobuster (supporting over 30 image formats, different versions of many different filesystems -- on the same disc no less, for different media types, with powerful data recovery features, a great interface in multiple languages, stable, with good hardware support, with good documentation, technical support, a decent website, etc) isn't exactly a small undertaking. We're talking hundreds of thousands of man-hours of skilled programmers and a support team (not exactly something you'll finance out of some donations)

But here is your baby check this out version 0.99.9

Totally pointless. Your unwarranted hostility towards the isobuster guys seems to be blinding you from simple facts. That ancient version is useless. Everything it does, the new one also does for free (and more). Check the license models page. You only have to pay for the advanced features that most people don't even have a need for (and if you do, the $30 price tag every 5 years or so is dirt cheap), and that you can't be using with the old version anyway. Oh, and by the way, they accept donations for the free version which seemingly does everything you need over here. Now hopefully you'll put money where your mouth is but I really doubt that will actually happen (empty promises as usual)

Not that it even is an ISO editor, nor does this warrant bumping a 5 year old topic.

But is Isobuster a .iso EDITOR (which was the OP request)? :unsure:

Last time I checked it it was a CD recovery tool...

Anyway, I would hope that in the 5 years :w00t: since May 2005 OP has found a solution to his problems....:whistling:

jaclaz

• 2 months later...

Well since someone else did bump the thread...

As far as I know there still isn't a free ISO editor out there. My suggestion to anyone who stumble into this thread is to use IMGBurn to create a bootable disc from the extracted contents of a previous disc, or create one from scratch. You can use disc mounting tools like 'DAEMON Tools Lite', or 'MagicISO', to mount disc images (NRG, CDI, ISO, etc.), and extract them.

All of the above tools are GUI friendly, and FREE.

Well since someone else did bump the thread...

As far as I know there still isn't a free ISO editor out there. My suggestion to anyone who stumble into this thread is to use IMGBurn to create a bootable disc from the extracted contents of a previous disc, or create one from scratch. You can use disc mounting tools like 'DAEMON Tools Lite', or 'MagicISO', to mount disc images (NRG, CDI, ISO, etc.), and extract them.

All of the above tools are GUI friendly, and FREE.

Not entirely true, there's ISO Master http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/File-managers/ISO-Master-16676.shtml

Ok, so its for Linux but you could simply run a Linux distro under VirtualBox and you'd still get a free, legit solution to the ISO editing problem. Besides, Linux has quite a few handy stuff too other than ISO Master. :)