Extracting Windows Core

Aegis

I slimmed down my system to 47.6MB! All it really is now is the basic Windows Core. Think I'll boot from my 64MB flash drive :D. No, what I really want to do is to make an installer available for everyone to use. I'm still experimenting to slim it down even more though, and I can't program...:(

If you would like to assist me in making an installer, please PM me. :D

Everybody else...tell me if you like the idea. FYI, unlike most slimmed down versions, this one actually can support most of the third-party applications out there.

I'm mostly curious as to what you have left...I'm guessing that ALL non-essential services are gone, as well as all the extra software that comes with Windows (IE, OE, Netmeeting, etc etc).

Good job though! 47.6MB is quite an achievement.

if you can post a file list, like the one available for a slimmed down - 7mb!! - win98 (http://www.winimize.com/filelist.html) that would be a great help in letting people do this for themselves, and you may get more help that way.

I don't know how legal an installer would be - if you mean packaging up these 47mb of files and distributing them as a self-contained mini-XP installation, i would think MS would frown on that, but they can't stop you if you create a batch file that after installing an unattended XP can then delete all unneccessary files as per your file list. this would seem a better option.

I'd be interested to know if you can boot this from a mini CD or USB key, as you suggested. Ive been looking into booting a mini98 from a 16mb usb key but if i can boot and run XP on a 128mb key with selected programs, i'll do that instead.

ask in the unattended XP forum as the guys there could help with this.

maybe you don't need to know programming, maybe a little of batch coding:

make a file list of all the archives present on your system, then write a batch file to copy those files to an alternative location and that's all :)

The installer I had in mind would of course be the legal way, but I'm not sure if it can be done using a batch file because there are some questions I need to ask the user, such as what language they use and to export a certain registry key that differs depending on the computer. And I can't post the files just yet because I consider it still a beta.

I'm curious about the 4MB Windows XP: can you install any software on it? what about activation files? what files are in it?

• 3 weeks later...