Error message at 34 minute mark

according to the m$ website
Important: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition cannot be successfully installed on 64-bit Intel Itanium-based systems

Is that really news to anyone? You wouldn't even be able to boot the CD on an Itanic system. Or were you pointing it out because it is amusing that it's an FAQ?

Also, you misspelled it. It's "MS" - you were off a couple of keys.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out, the CPU is bad--at least as far as installing/running x64...it still runs 32 bit stuff just fine--but I'm going to RMA it anyway. I changed the memory 3 times (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair all acted compatible), the mobo twice (an Asus P5WD2 premium the second time around), and then finally the CPU--a slight upgrade to 3.2g instead of 3.0g. The new processor loaded x64 without a single problem. Oh, and the bad CPU isn't a J series as I stated earlier, as it looks like they're 1mb cache, and these are 2mb--my mistake--too much latenight research :whistle: Anyway, thanks a lot for the ideas and help.

• 3 months later...

hi i have same prob with my pc, it occours when i have programs running in background, ie trillian, f-prot, spydoctor.

Im running AMD athlon 3500 on epox 9nda3+, 2 sticks of legend 512 64bit certified ram, geforce 5700, 2 ide drives and latest nvidia drivers 78.01.

i have noticed that if i roll back my nvidia display drivers to 66.96 i dont get that many system check errors popping up. MS have no idea, and it doesn't cause any programs to hang, so i am not phased by it, but it would be good to know how to fix it.

i ran memtest, came up fine.

I was one of the many people who tried the pre-release version, and it was buggy, like defrag didn't work sometimes, and other programs hanged.

i bought the official release 3 months ago.

Windows XP Profestional Build 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447:service pk1.