Install Operating system from network

A word of warning using RIS: it will remove any partitions you have on your drive, any data you have on a second/third etc partition will be deleted!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Just before i start to trial/attempt anything i thought to mention that the machine (or machines) that im going to use are on a network - wouldnt they loose network connectivity using RIS or any other method as i thought this method would erase any signatures to the server? maybe im wrong but love to know what im doing wrong.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

jpatto,

the link below is my documentation for setting up a RIS server.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=36833&st=10

wouldnt they loose network connectivity using RIS or any other method as i thought this method would erase any signatures to the server?

Not sure what you are trying to say here?

When you connect to the domain the server stores your GUID in the computer profile on AD so it knows the PC next time it connects to the domain.

When connecting to a server you boot using the NIC (PXE service) which looks for a BINL service on the server side. This copies the OS install files to the local disk and then it installs from the local disk.

I hope this is of some help.

As the others say it will remove data from your other partition but using the sif file you can stop this.

Taggs

why usin ris? dont make it such complicated ... therefor you have to deal with syspreped image for every pc model youre going to install

i use pxe netbood to boot into a dosnetbootdisk that makes a connection to a deploy point on a server and installs everything unattended incl. all update all driverpacks and so on .... big advantage : i never have to burn any cds ... just change the files /settings on the server ... and i can install every pc model i like without carein about images!! think about it!

why usin ris? dont make it such complicated ... therefor you have to deal with  syspreped image for every pc model youre going to install

i use pxe netbood to boot into a dosnetbootdisk that makes a connection to a deploy point on a server and installs everything unattended incl. all update all driverpacks and so on .... big advantage : i never have to burn any cds ... just change the files /settings on the server ... and i can install every pc model i like without carein about images!! think about it!

Well maybe you should share your experience with us and not only "I can do it like this ... think about it" .. if you know better way to deploy Windows and/or any other program beside RIS, please feel free to share your knowledge ... :)

@Mason

I think you need to read up a little more about RIS. The way you think it works is one method it can use. They way you have described is how I have my RIS server set up but no need for a boot disk, although I could go that route with it if I wished.

i know taggs, but you still need a server with ris support ...

my version is set up in 5 minutes without any server, just the pxe and tftp server ...

check out these little handy tools :

http://www.argontechnology.com/view.aspx?id=software

klasika: sorry but this would resolute in a big tutorial .. which i dont have the time for ... (im at work ;))

but maybe ill set one up ....

but it isnt really hard, just check out the website and download you a trial of the tool, it includes all docs ... and the installation of xp is the same as from cd ... without some minor differences .. all in all ... not really hard to realise ...

why usin ris? dont make it such complicated ... therefor you have to deal with  syspreped image for every pc model youre going to install

Actually, you don't need to have a different image for every model out there. Just like with the unattended CD/DVD project, you can incorporate drivers for all your organization's models into a base RIS image and allow PNP to sort it out at install time. The HAL isn't an issue, either, since PNP will detect and install the correct version. AD+RIS+GPO+Application Assignments will make your life much easier. B)

Yeah, I say RIS is the way to go if you can afford it's software requirements. I've seen sites and applications that allow the same end result, but for vanilla compatability I would say a Microsoft provided solution is the best track.

Also, the partition blanking that someone mentioned earlier is only a product of using the default settings of the unattended file for RIS installs. You can configure it to ask you about partitioning, and then have the rest unattended so all you have to do is boot it and do the blue-screen setup and then you're done.

Since it's basically streaming the CD from a share you can install or boot various things. BartPE or ERD for instance, which makes for a very handy network diagnostic tool. Or, you can have multiple unattneded files for different types of installs. And you still get the added benefit of only having to edit the source files and not re-burn CD's or re-create image files.

RIS is a pain sometimes, but it's pretty cool once you get it working.