USB scanner won't

A client has an HP PSC 1110 printer/scanner. After moving the USB cable connection from one of the root ports on the PC to a hub, Windows quit loading the scanner driver.

The printer function works fine.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and used the "cleaner" at HP's site and nothing has smacked Windows 2000 Pro upside the head and told it it's being stupid. :wacko:

The whole thing worked perfectly when first installed. It continued to work perfectly after she installed a Mustek BearPaw USB scanner.

It was only after moving the USB cable connection that Windows decided to ignore the scanner half of the HP unit.

HP's site says they're "working with Microsoft" on a fix. (And how long is that going to take? Going by the dates on the page, until the 6th of never!)

After digging around the HP site, I found a link to a Microsoft "beg us for this hotfix" page about USBSCAN.SYS. MS says that there's an issue with USB "composite devices" that include a scanner.

If the scanner is not the _first_ device seen by Windows in such a device, it's highly likely to not work, or work for a while then at some point just quit.

That MS page gives a version and file date for the version (or later) of USBSCAN.SYS that corrects the problem, and says it's included with Windows 2000 SP2 or later. (Her PC is at SP4 plus all the later updates.) The USBSCAN.SYS on her PC has a higher version and later date.

I've also found (in several hours of searching) that this is a problem with many brands and models of USB printer/scanners. I did find ONE message board with a thread on this problem with HP 1100 series that ended with one poster all happy, saying he'd got it cured after a couple hours on the phone with HP tech support.

BUT HE DIDN'T BOTHER TO TELL HOW HE GOT IT TO WORK!!! :realmad:

ISTR that's a violation of Rule 3487 of Tech Support Bulletin Boards.

'When you figure out how to fix it, TELL HOW YOU DID IT!' ;)

(If I ran such a board, anyone posting 'I fixed mine!' without telling how and the solution did not come from other folks on the board, would get banned until they sent an 'I'm sorry' e-mail with their fix.)