Microsoft Removal Tools

aussiecanuck46

I wonder if there's a way to prevent Windows Update from insisting that I need to download Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool on the second Tuesday of every month? Those of us who religiously maintain anti-virus software on our systems don't need Microsoft's tool.

Is there perhaps a registry tweak that would serve my purpose, along the lines of the GDI+ Detection tool one?

Found this on MS website =>

Q20: Can I determine whether the tool has been run on a computer?

A20: Yes. By checking a registry key, you can determine whether the tool has been run on a computer and which version was the latest version that was used. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

891716 Deployment of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool in an enterprise environment

Q25: How do I prevent this tool from being offered to me by using Windows Update or Automatic Updates?

A25: When you are first offered the Malicious Software Removal Tool through Windows Update or Automatic Updates, you can choose to decline downloading and running the tool by declining the EULA. This decline can apply to just the current version of the tool or to both the current version of the tool and any future versions, depending on the options you choose. If you have already accepted the EULA and if you would prefer not to install the tool through Windows Update, click to clear the check box that corresponds to the tool in the Windows Update UI.

URL is - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830 - which gives more info.