[Release] Windows XP PowerPacker

Nice program! (I guess)

Had some time today to test is. Some remarks:

It's not easy to understand the main screen. But it's ok for most of the people over here I guess :-)

A tutorial for changing the bootscreen would be nice to. And as said before: the tree structure is not so nice .

I've just did my fist test in VMware and had this BSOD error: Session3_initialization_failed

let's try again :)

The bsod you received... I'm not sure what caused it. When did you get this error? Did you use Nlite at all? Did you integrate anything into the xp files? What type of XP are you trying to install? With or without DPs? Please post as much information as you can. ;) Thanks.

OK everybody... I have finished codeing Windows XP PowerPacker 1.0 RC2! :D

This one I did not have to fix any bugs... I just added some cool features, a logo to the right side of the gui, and some donation buttons (Just incase anyone is feeling thoughtful. ;)

The cool new features are by request.

I have added options to run your own batch files within different periods of the packing process.

Here is a quote from what I have added to the help file:

Running extra scripts:

It is now possible to run 4 different batch files durring the packing process.

PREPACK.BAT: Create a batch file that you would want to run before the driverpacks are installed and just after the I386 directory is copied over to the pack. Name this file "PREPACK.BAT" and put it in your "Extra Pack Files" directory. This file will be copied over to the pack at the same level as the I386 folder so that you can run commands there.

PREROOT.BAT: Create a batch file that you would want to run before the driverpacks are installed and just after the I386 directory is copied over to the pack. Name this file "PREROOT.BAT" and put it in your "Extra Root Files" directory. This file will be copied over to the root of your destination so that you can run commands there.

AFTERPACK.BAT: Create a batch file that you would want to run as the last step of the packing process. Name this file "AFTERPACK.BAT" and put it in your "Extra Pack Files" directory. This file will be copied over to the pack at the same level as the I386 folder so that you can run commands there.

AFTERROOT.BAT: Create a batch file that you would want to run as the last step of the packing process. Name this file "AFTERROOT.BAT" and put it in your "Extra Root Files" directory. This file will be copied over to the root of your destination directory so that you can run commands there.

These options are great for making everything unattended. You can now use windows XP SP1 as your source and have a batch file which integrates SP2 to it before it integrates the drivers etc... :)

Also... people can release batch files that they have made as addons for PowerPacker.

For now that will be fine... but in a later release I will make it so you can run any kind of file (Not just a .bat file). Then I will make extra tools that you can use with powerpacker (like integrating RyanVM's XP Updates).

I would upload this fine release for everybody now... but it looks like something is wrong with my ftpserver and it doesn't allow me to upload right now. :( So hopefully the new version will be released sometime today.

Does anybody have a little extra webspace that I can upload this to as a mirror site?

Edited by Siginet

Hi Siginet,

Nice little program, you have created. I have started it up, for a look. I notice that someone cannot operate the program without closing the helpfile first. Perhaps you could change this? Also, when browsing for a folder, the gui remains enabled. This allows guigetmsg to continue adding to the stack.

I will let you know of other issues, when I get to do some packing.

Hi Siginet,

Nice little program, you have created. I have started it up, for a look. I notice that someone cannot operate the program without closing the helpfile first. Perhaps you could change this? Also, when browsing for a folder, the gui remains enabled. This allows guigetmsg to continue adding to the stack.

I will let you know of other issues, when I get to do some packing.

Yes I noticed that it does not disable the gui in the background and that is a small bug that I needed to fix. I will make sure that I fix it for the next release. ;) Also the gui is not disabled during the packing process which I need to fix. Thanks for reminding me. I didn't even think about the issue when using the help file. Both good points. Thank You very much!

Thanks for this mirror I appreciate it a lot! It will definatly come in handy!

I am testing this program and having some problem. see the attached error file.

After I selected the output directory and leave the field, program crash.

My system setup was: XP pro with SP2

I tried again with XP pro with SP1 it works without any problem.

Any help....

post-30478-1121168925_thumb.jpg

Wonfderful program I must agree, but I'm having a problem here...

I've added two XP Corporate installations (one nLited with SP2 etc). These were all built fine and I packaged the ISO to find it was too large to burn.

Going back through the directories I removed some apps to fix that, however, I can't simply run the "Package ISO" command now can I?

From what I understand you have to have JUST added a pack (and not left the program) before you can package?

Cheers,

Scott

EDIT- Scratch that... it DOES work, but I have to set all the parameters to the last "Pack" input...

Edited by KuDoZ

I am testing this program and having some problem. see the attached error file.

After I selected the output directory and leave the field, program crash.

My system setup was:  XP pro with SP2

I tried again with XP pro with SP1 it works without any problem.

Any help....

I have never seen this kind of error. My guess is it must be some sort of computer side error. :( The program was built and tested on WinXP SP2. I have never tested it on SP1. All I can think is check on anything that may block the program from doing things. Have you ever had viruses on your computer or spyware? That error seems like it may be caused by a damaged system. I could be wrong... but I have no idea why you would get that kind of error. Please keep me posted.

Wonfderful program I must agree, but I'm having a problem here...

I've added two XP Corporate installations (one nLited with SP2 etc). These were all built fine and I packaged the ISO to find it was too large to burn.

Going back through the directories I removed some apps to fix that, however, I can't simply run the "Package ISO" command now can I?

From what I understand you have to have JUST added a pack (and not left the program) before you can package?

Cheers,

Scott

EDIT- Scratch that... it DOES work, but I have to set all the parameters to the last "Pack" input...

When you go to package an ISO you must only point to your destination. All of the other options are not needed. But it needs to know what to package. ;) Also... make sure you have enough space on the drive you are creating your image on. It must have enough space to create the full size of the disk before optimisation or cdimage will turn off.

I notice that someone cannot operate the program without closing the helpfile first. Perhaps you could change this?

This bug has been fixed in Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC3

Also, when browsing for a folder, the gui remains enabled. This allows guigetmsg to continue adding to the stack.

This bug has been fixed in Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC3

The maximize button is now disabled as well.

And a few other minor but annoying bugs fixed.

Windows XP PowerPacker RC3 should be released sometime tommorrow. ;)

Once v1.0 full is released I will begin writeing plugins.

:hello:

Was just wondering, what program are you using to create that splash screen at the initial loading screen? The only .csi I can think of is Corel something... I'd like to be able to put my own there.... with references of course.

Cheers,

Scott

I have never seen this kind of error. My guess is it must be some sort of computer side error.  The program was built and tested on WinXP SP2. I have never tested it on SP1. All I can think is check on anything that may block the program from doing things. Have you ever had viruses on your computer or spyware? That error seems like it may be caused by a damaged system. I could be wrong... but I have no idea why you would get that kind of error. Please keep me posted.

I have reimaged my PC with basic XP Sp2 install ( no application installed). PowerPacker works fine. So my assumption is one of the application I had in my PC may be causing the problem. I am installing one application at a time and testing it. It is a long process. I will let you know the result.

One more question:

I was typing the INPUT and OUTPUT dir rather than using the BROWSE option and tried to Pack the files. It is still asking for those INPUT and OUTPUT dir. Is it a bug?

regards

One more question:

I was typing the INPUT and OUTPUT dir rather than using the BROWSE option and tried to Pack the files. It is still asking for those INPUT and OUTPUT dir. Is it a bug?

regards

Yes I got lazy and I did not add that feature yet. It will be added later. I may also add a .ini file as well. This way when you open PowerPacker it will remember your last input.

I think you will like it Bashrat. It is actually great for testing out the DPs as well. ;)

This tool was actually built for the DriverPacks to begin with... and it became more.

You of all people are the one I need to test it. ;) I also hope we can MSN Message each other soon. So I can keep my tool compatable with your driverpacks if you decide to change the way they install. :)

Edited by Siginet