[Release] Windows XP PowerPacker

Now there is a bug in the DriverPacks 5.07* Base when using the Mass Storage drivers. That does not add entries correctly to the dosnet.inf file. So if you use PowerPacker do not add the mass storage drivers or you will have problems when you begin installing it. I tried to find out where in the DP scripts it is wrong but I have no clue. My guess is FEdit is not removing old entries like it should.

Until this issue is fixed you can use PowerPacker as long as you do not use the Mass Storage drivers.

OK. It looks like all of the bugs have been worked out now. I have written my own Dosnet.inf parser for PowerPacker... so now there is no more need for BootFolder.exe (Thanks Nazgul for allowing me to use it untill I wrote my own version.). My parser is based off of the same idea... but made especially for use with PowerPacker. Since I wrote my parser in a different code language there is no need to have MS Framework .NET installed on your system, There should not be incompatabilities with Xpize CMD mod anymore, and there should be less chance of antivirus/antispyware apps looking at PowerPacker as a false positive. ;)

I think this release should be the best and most complete version as of yet. So... I decided to make this release "PowerPacker v1.0 RC1". If no bugs are reported this version may become the full release. :)

Please test it out and reply here with your thoughts, bugs, questions, comments, and accomplishments with PowerPacker.

Thanks to everyone who gave me input and helped me create this tool that I think a lot of people will enjoy.

I think this release should be the best and most complete version as of yet. So... I decided to make this release "PowerPacker v1.0 RC1". If no bugs are reported this version may become the full release. :)

Please test it out and reply here with your thoughts, bugs, questions, comments, and accomplishments with PowerPacker.

Thanks to everyone who gave me input and helped me create this tool that I think a lot of people will enjoy.

Siginet,

I have to agree with your assumption that 1.o RC1 is the most complete version as of yet. I have tested it by making a multiboot DVD with an attended and unattended setup (the last one with all DriverPacks included), and it worked flawlessly. Much obliged for all the work you put into it !

Now that we have it working, maybe we can start requests on making it more configurable ?

I, for example, would like it if the multiboot graphical screen can be a screen of my own choice. I would also like it if I get presented one screen (directly aftre the graphical screen) on which setup to boot (instead of the tree-like structure you have implemented now). Furthermore, I would like it if you can incorporate a message straight after the graphical screen, that if you don't press Enter within x seconds, the PC will boot from the HD instead of the DVD/CD (or even better, can you make booting to the HD optional ?)

Ofcourse, if you continue development, I will be glad to assist you with testing. As you have found out, my technical skills and knowledge of this subject is limited, but I can and will test everything you put out :whistle:

Thanks again and good luck on further development,

Moesasji

Actually I have planned to make the Menu system better too. Now that you mentioned it I will work on that aspect. The original menu system was a throw together. It was working so I used it. As for the so many seconds and it boots to the HD... that is allready implimented. (At least it should be... it always worked for me.) The tree format may have to be the way it works... unless I can figure out a different way to code it. See... whenever a new pack is made... sections of the menu's .ini file are deleted to activate that feature. I did it in a tree format so that it will me always organised. I didn't have the tree format in the beginning and whenever I made a new pack that was the order of the list (Which was sloppy).

For instance if I made a WinXP Pro Corp With DP... that was the first in the list, Then a Home Retail Without DP... that was the second etc... etc... To me that way was not useable. But I agree the menu needs to be reshaped. ;)

In the mean time... if you have knowledge of the cdshell.ini you can costumize it how you like... then when you have finished createing packs you can overwrite the old one.

I have many different plans for powerpacker (Like integrating RyanVM's Update packs) but I am running out of space to deal with. The gui window needs to be able to fit inside of a screen resolution of 800/600. If I make the gui much larger then it may not fit. I have thought about using tabs for different sections. But... I think since so far it is working flawlessly... I might add a little picture at the right side of the gui... to give it more of a look... then release it as the full version. Then I can start coding v2.0 which will be made to fit more of everyones requests.

My vision of PowerPacker is that it will do a lot of the things people learn at MSFN.ORG. But mainly based on creating multiboot disks.

Good work Siginet. This sounds like a fantastic tool! Will give it a try.

I second this compliment to Siginet and applaud his plans to continue development and broaden it to a tool that is able to implement a lot of the great MSFN-tricks and techniques.

And as a tip to enuffsaid; I doubt that you will run into problems trying out the PowerPacker 1.0 RC1-program, but if you do, you can rely on great support by Siginet. I have found out for myself that with his support and enthusiasme, any problems occurring with his tool will be solved quickly.

I hope a lot more MSFN-posters and MSFN-readers will give PowerPacker a try and report their results and suggestions in this forum.

While you are receptive for compliments, I will try a new suggestion too :-)

Could you implement an option in PowerPack to run a batch-file of choice between building the packs and compilin them into an ISO. That way I would be able to automatically apply changes that need to be made (such as adjusting the winnt.sif after Bashrat's method was applied and copying some extra info (specific to one of the packs on the DVD) into the package.

Ofcourse I could run such a batch file myself between packing and building an ISO, but I would like to be able to build the multiboot DVD completely withing PowerPacker; through the PowerPacker GUI I would also be easily reminded I have to make some adjustments (using my batch-file) before building an ISO from the packages ?

I hope you understand what I mean ?

That is a good idea. I have an idea how I can easily do this for the time being... then I will create a better way of doing this for v2.0.

I will see what I can come up with soon. I am going to be buisy for the next couple of days though. If I have time tonight I may put something together.

That is a good idea.  I have an idea how I can easily do this for the time being... then I will create a better way of doing this for v2.0.

I will see what I can come up with soon.  I am going to be buisy for the next couple of days though. If I have time tonight I may put something together.

Any chances that this PowerPack works with Windows 2000 too ?

BTW, thanks for the greate work !

It was made for winXP... because the DriverPacks are made for XP...

But it may work with 2000 because the DP kind of work for 2000. But all of the options are for XP... so you could just select an xp option even though you are using 2000. I am pretty sure it will work with 2000 without the DPs. ;)

In a later version I am thinking of adding 2000 support 2003 support and x64 support.

Check it out...

Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC1 has been posted at www.betanews.com!

HERE

It has only been there for about a day and it has been downloaded over 1,000 times! And is rated 4.3 out of 5!!!

Check it out...

Windows XP PowerPacker v1.0 RC1 has been posted at www.betanews.com!

HERE

It has only been there for about a day and it has been downloaded over 1,000 times!  And is rated 4.3 out of 5!!!

Good job! ;)

P.S.: how long did it take to get your files verified there? At tucows it takes MONTHS.

I didn't even put it there. :) I have no idea how it got there. Sombody must have saw it here and put it there. I am suprised the DriverPacks are not there..??!!

Nice program! (I guess)

Had some time today to test is. Some remarks:

It's not easy to understand the main screen. But it's ok for most of the people over here I guess :-)

A tutorial for changing the bootscreen would be nice to. And as said before: the tree structure is not so nice .

I've just did my fist test in VMware and had this BSOD error: Session3_initialization_failed

let's try again :)