[Release] Windows XP PowerPacker

That app does exactly what I need. :)

How did you parse the dosnet.inf file?

Does this program also work for Win2003 VLK?

PowerPacker is made for WinXP. I have not tested it at all with 2k3. All of the options were made for XP... but you could try 2k3 using an xp option and see what happens. ;)

BootFolder.exe is a tool made by Nazgul. It is what parses the dosnet.inf file. It is compatable with 2k3. You can find it on msfn.org forums by using the search feature.

Edited by Siginet

Here's what I need you to do...

look inside the \boot\ folder and find a file called cdshell.ini.  This is the menu file. zip it up and attach it here so I can look at it. Somehow it seems like it had trouble editing the cdshell.ini file.

Zipped cdshell.ini is attached to this message.....

This is the first issue I have come accross since the end of may. ;)  So maybe you found a bug that will actually give me something to do.

BTW Did your paths have any spaces in them? I don't think spaces would be a problem with my apps side of things... but with the driverpacks or any other tools used this may be an issue.

Although I'm happy to see that my problem helped to solve another bug, it did not solve my problem. The folder I saved the packs in is called G:\PPOutput

No spaces in that name therefore, nor in any of the other folders PowerPacker accessed in compiling the powerpack (I have some experience with the driverpacks, so I avoid spaced in UA-folders anyhow).

Maybe there are some other things to explote; just tell me what information I can supply you with, and I will inform you. Your respons (the depth and the quality of it) on my first question was great and, although it did not help me, is greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work; I really think you are developing a much needed utility and once I get it to work, I'm looking forward to creating MultiBoot DVD's with it.

OK according to your cdshell.ini it looks like it was edited as it should have been. Now inside of your folder "G:\PPOutput" there should be 2 folders XPPC and ROPC.

Can you grab these files and zip them and post them for me:

G:\PPOutput\XPPC\txtsetup.sif
G:\PPOutput\XPPC\setupldr.bin
G:\PPOutput\ROPC\txtsetup.sif
G:\PPOutput\ROPC\setupldr.bin
G:\PPOutput\XPPC.DAT
G:\PPOutput\ROPC.DAT

Earlier you stated that you had a couple errors. Can you remember what errors they were and when they occured. Was the error in a dos window or a windows XP window.

If you can... can you post some screen shots of your directory structure?

Thanks

OK according to your cdshell.ini it looks like it was edited as it should have been.  Now inside of your folder "G:\PPOutput" there should be 2 folders XPPC and ROPC.

Can you grab these files and zip them and post them for me:

G:\PPOutput\XPPC\txtsetup.sif
G:\PPOutput\XPPC\setupldr.bin
G:\PPOutput\ROPC\txtsetup.sif
G:\PPOutput\ROPC\setupldr.bin
G:\PPOutput\XPPC.DAT
G:\PPOutput\ROPC.DAT

I think you're on to something, because I do not have all of the files you mention above. In my G:\\PPOutput\XPPC folder, there's only the file winnt.sif and the G:\PPOutput\ROPC folder is completely empty. The *.DAT files you request from the G:\PPOutput folder are attached to this message.....

I'll post some images of what happens during boot:

bootscreen.jpg

After pressing the [P] key, I get the following screen

bootscreen2.jpg

Then, after pressing the [C] key, I get the following screen

bootscreen3.jpg

And finally, after either pressing the [D] or [R] key, I get the following error:

bootscreen4.jpg

Earlier you stated that you had a couple errors.  Can you remember what errors they were and when they occured.  Was the error in a dos window or a windows XP window.

If you can... can you post some screen shots of your directory structure?

Thanks

Here's the directory structure:

PPOutputfolder.jpg

The install folder contains programs I wish to install after XP and was copied to the powerpack using the option in your program.

Hope this can help you trace the things that went wrong ?

OK... the problem lies with the BootFolder.exe somewhere. I am going to look into it further and try to figure out why you are having a problem here.

What OS are you using. Is it XP/2000? If so it shouldn't have a problem. If it is Win9x then maybe... cause I have never tested on that syatem. But in theory it should work fine on 9x series.

For some reason the boot folders are not getting filled with the proper files. That is why you get errors durring the hexing part. That is also why you get the ntldr error. Because those files are not getting copied over.

The question is... why?

Can you do this:

Go to your [RUN] box and type:

%TEMP%

then hit enter.

In the temp directory do you see a file called "BootFolder.exe"?

If you don't see the file... I will make a quick mod to the app and post a fixed version online for you to test.

Thanks for your patience

What OS are you using.  Is it XP/2000?  If so it shouldn't have a problem.  If it is Win9x then maybe... cause I have never tested on that syatem. But in theory it should work fine on 9x series.

I am using Windows XP Professional (Corporate Edition), SP2 English

For some reason the boot folders are not getting filled with the proper files. That is why you get errors durring the hexing part. That is also why you get the ntldr error.  Because those files are not getting copied over.

The question is... why?

Can you do this:

Go to your [RUN] box and type:

%TEMP%

then hit enter.

In the temp directory do you see a file called "BootFolder.exe"?

If you don't see the file... I will make a quick mod to the app and post a fixed version online for you to test.

Thanks for your patience

I just followed your directions and did not find a BootFolder.exe in my Temp folder (the TEMP folder is C:\TEMP)

Thanks for your persistance !

That is not the normal XP temp directory.

It is usually:

"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp"

or

%TEMP% = "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp"

When you run %TEMP% it sends you to "C:\Temp"?

Well... I will edit my script and see if that will help.

OK... new version released.

Beta version 1.06

Download HERE

or go to the first post of the thread and find a download link at the bottom.

Fixed a few minor bugs.

Also coded the temp directory a little differently.

Added the newest version of BootFolder.exe

This version of powerpacker was created to hopefully fix moesasji's problem. (Which is a problem I can't seem to recreate at my end. So hopefully this will help.)

@moesasji Please try the new version and let me know if that fixes your problem or not.

Edited by Siginet

That is not the normal XP temp directory.

It is usually:

"C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp"

or

%TEMP% = "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp"

When you run %TEMP% it sends you to "C:\Temp"?

Well... I will edit my script and see if that will help.

I know it's not the normal TEMP directory (that's why I specifically mentioned it in my post). I tweaked XP to use just one folder for TEMP-files (adjusted the temp-variables), since I had constant difficulty finding the TEMP-folders when I needed them.

Thanks for the continuing development on your program. I will try out the new release as soon as humanly possible :)

OK... new version released.

Beta version 1.06

@moesasji  Please try the new version and let me know if that fixes your problem or not.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't solve it. I still get the errormessages on hacking the files setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif...... The patchprogram reports it can't find these files and when I search my HD for them (during the pack-process, so at the moment the patch-program haults for the error message), I do find them in G:\PPOutput\ROOT\ROPC\I386.

The Folder G:\PPOutput\ROPC is completely empty though (still)

PPErrorMessage.jpg

There's nothing with those filenames on my C: drive, neither in my TEMP directory (C:\TEMP) nor in the usual TEMP directories (C:\Document and Setting\...)

All the others files that have to be patched do not return an error message, so I guess those get found and patched fine. Is there maybe something special about the files setupldr.bin and txtsetup.sif ? Where should your program find them when it tries to patch them ?

I did find out BOOTFOLDER.EXE is placed in my Temp folder (C:\TEMP) during the PowerPacker process.

Just to be complete, I will post a screendump of the GUI of PowerPacker as I used it...

PP106Screen.jpg

I'll ofcourse continue to give you any information you want in tracking this error and am still looking forward to creating my first MuliBoot DVD with PowerPacker (1.07 ?)

Maybe you can inform me on what processes PowerPacker starts / does, so I can try to analyze by way of trial and error where the problem may lie ?

Edited by moesasji

Now when you are re-trying to make a pack... are you just having powerpacker overwrite files.? Or are you deleteing the destination directory then using powerpacker? I know BootFolder.exe will not work if there is allready files in it's destination directory. You said there is a winnt.sif file in the directory. Try at least deleteing the ROPC/XPPC/XOPC folders from the root of your destination. Then retry the program.

All I can think is that there is some sort of limitation with the bootfolder.exe tool and the way your system is tweaked. If that is the case there is not much I can do. :( Except if I have time I can use some of my old code which does not use the BootFolder.exe file but runs the first part of windows setup to get the files. Which takes a little longer but will get the job done just the same.

OK I went ahead and grabbed some of my old code and replaced some of the new code. This version is not using BootFolder.exe to create the boot folder. It is using the regular winnt32.exe. Therefore it will seem as if it is installing windows xp... but really it is only grabbing the needed files to move into the boot folder.

I reccommend most users to use the regular PowerPacker file... but if you are having difficulty createing the boot folder with the original PowerPacker than you can try this one. ;)

Here is the winnt32.exe version of PowerPacker v1.06:

DOWNLOAD