XP hangs on startup temporarily

laser21

Hi, when I start my PC, all is fine until the windows Xp logo appears, and then disappears forabout 3-5minutes. After that period Xp resumes booting normally. The bad thing is, that the startup lasts so long! Ive got xp sp2 5.1.2600.2180. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot in forward.

You could try cleaning the prefetch cache. If you install and remove a lot of programs it can get confused and look for programs that dont exist anymore. No idea if it will help your problem, but cant hurt.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2495

You could also try bootvis to tune boot files.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

My pc does this same behavior when I boot with a zip disk in the zip drive... goes into space for a few min then zip drive clicks and boot resumes.

Hi, when I start my PC, all is fine until the windows XP logo appears, and then disappears forabout 3-5minutes. After that period Xp resumes booting normally.  The bad thing is, that the startup lasts so long! Ive got xp sp2 5.1.2600.2180. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot in forward.

Download the following programs:

Ad aware

Spybot

Startupmeachanic

The last is the most important; Will let you know what programs are in your start menu. Then disable those you do not need.

Don't forget Microsoft's Anti Spyware.

For now all are free. use Google to find them.

I would not be without them!!!!!!!

Stan

Thank you guys for the minute, will give a try. The funny thing is, that it does this hang already after I install my XP new-practically after the text setup part. It never did that before. ciao

Ok, I found out what is the major problem- my Logitech Dinovo bluetooth keyboard does the hang. When I unplug it from the PC, it starts normally. I have no idea how to solve that...have to look around. Anyway, thanks a lot for your responses. bye

Small thought but does the keyboard need the drivers installed for the keyboard, or doesn't SP2 have drivers for bluetooth keyboards?

(I appreciate that even if XP does have a MS bluetooth keyboard driver that you may not be able to use the keyboard's "special" shortcut keys - if it has any)

I know this is obvious but have you looked at the Logitech's website for updated/latest drivers for the keyboard?

Regards,

N.

My keyboard works in bios, so in windows I can work with it without installing any drivers. After installing the newest logitech driversI can acess myspecial buttons on it. So its probably just a small registry key, that commands windows to wait for a time to look for bluetooth devices. I dont know... :blushing: Its depressing. Thanks for any help.bye

have you tried looking up XP takes a long time to boot (or something similar) on the Microsoft Knowledge Base? You may be able to find something relating to your problem :)

If you do find something, please post back to your topic here so others can know thanks :)

Good luck,

Nath.