Bittorrent Clients

Ctwizzy

I currently use Azureus, but with Java 1.5 and Azureus 2.3.

Javaw uses 65-130MB Of ram. And Azureus itself only uses 2MB. This is too high for a BT client. Reason I use Azureus is because it has the built in IP blocker.

Can anyone recommend a client that uses less memory, and provide a way I can still block those **** companies from scanning what im downloading?

Thanks!

You want a memory friendly Bittorrent client?

well, here you go: Arctic torrent

No memory leaks with ABC 3.0. Its been running for 14hrs now and not a single leak. In fact after it stabalized it sunk down to 3MBs of ram, occasional spikes upto 5 or 8.

@drewdatrip

Why use peer + azureus. Azureus has the IPS built in with a plugin. No need to run both. ABC has all the functions I need with a client and more.

@drewdatrip

Why use peer + azureus. Azureus has the IPS built in with a plugin. No need to run both. ABC has all the functions I need with a client and more.

Ya my mistake, the name of the plugin sliped my mind, i saw the guardian app and figured they were one in the same.

I use Azureus with the plugin safepeer

|Drew|

See... this is what I mean by memory leak...

TM_Processes2.jpg

TM_Performance2.jpg

ABC is the only thing that I have running... and I'm currently downloading 1 1GB torrent (DJ Doboy Collection) and 1 300MB torrent (DJ GT mixes).

Really really sad. ABC is a really great client if it weren't for this... :(

I just installed it (Arctic). I'm gonna leave it over night and see how my computer is in the morning. I'll let you know then.

EDIT (The next morning): I must say, I'm fairly impressed with Arctic. Mind you it doesn't have all the nice features of other clients, but it is extremely lightweight (3MB RAM, 5MB VM) and downloads just as fast as other clients. I'll have to see if I can adjust the source code a bit to my liking... :P

Well... after a couple of days, I'm pretty much sold. The underlying framework of Arctic is pretty solid, and it downloads just as fast as anything else out there.

I'm gonna see if I can play with the code a bit to be able to set it to allocate disk space prior to downloading, as well as individual down/up-load limits. Shouldn't be too difficult... couple extra functions... some threading calls...

Might take me a bit of time... my free space is still somewhat limited.

• 2 weeks later...

How anyone use Bitcomet?BitComet is a p2p file-sharing freeware fully compatible with Bittorrent, which is one of the most popular p2p protocol designed for high-speed distribution of 100MB or GB sized files. BitComet is a powerful, clean, fast, and easy-to-use bittorrent client. It supports simultaneous downloads, download queue, selected downloads in torrent package, fast-resume, chatting, disk cache, speed limits, port mapping, proxy, ip-filter, etc.

If you think to test.You can download with bottom image link.

I previously reccomended G3 Torrent, someone elsewhere told me about Rufus which i now use instead. 

Its built from the G3 code but is updated more often.  I will need to check out Arctic though :)

http://rufus.sourceforge.net/

How is the CPU usage on G3 and Rufus? I've heard that Python-based programs are pretty CPU-intensive.