Bittorrent Clients

Ctwizzy

I currently use Azureus, but with Java 1.5 and Azureus 2.3.

Javaw uses 65-130MB Of ram. And Azureus itself only uses 2MB. This is too high for a BT client. Reason I use Azureus is because it has the built in IP blocker.

Can anyone recommend a client that uses less memory, and provide a way I can still block those **** companies from scanning what im downloading?

Thanks!

I've tried all the different clients out there, and I still come back to Azureus time and time again.

Bit Tornado is alright, but the ability to queue torrents is really nice, not to mention the fact that you have one process for every torrent. For every torrent that you have open, BitTornado will use about 30-35MB of RAM... you can probalby do the math yourself.

Sorry to say that BitTorrent is a fairly memory hungry ordeal... no real way to get around that.

Yeah torrents are memory hungry, but Azureus using a total 80MB is a little excessive. So what I need to know is if a different client + ipblocker will be less than Azureus.

I find Java to be an aweful resource hog, not even that great of a language regardless what people say.

I did a little reading and seems ABC is a queing extension of BitTornado, Im going to try throwing ABC+ PeerGuardian and see what the ram usage on that is.

Anyone have any opinions about other clients like BitComet or BitLord?

Also whats the difference between PeerGuardian and Protowall? ZoneAlarm takes enough **** ram as it is why cant it block these IPs lol.

I'll agree that Java isn't the best programming language, and for the most part, the programs that come out of it are usually less than par, but Azureus is probably the exception to that rule.

I tried installing ABC3.0 on my computer... it had the most horrible memory leak. Let me know if it's just my system or not.

BitLord = BitComet... go for the original, BitComet if you're gonna give that one a shot.

Everyone has their prefs... hope you can find the one you like.

If you don't like the amount of RAM that ZA uses, check out Sygate. Much less RAM usage, and much less noticable.

I like Azureus, I just dont like how it can use over 100MB or ram.

Unless Im in a real hurry I prefer my Torrents to run in the background not as a high priority, so 100MB of ram is too much for.

Ill try ABC and protowall and let you guys know what I think.

Ok so installed Protowall, which uses only 3MD of ram, and ABC which with 1 torrent open and minimized to systray is using about 8MB of ram.

For a total of 11MB of ram I think ill stick with this. 11 vs 65 (which was the lowest I ever saw Azureus + Java) is a giant difference.

A few users have complained about the increase in ram by ABC when its in the sys tray, but its turned off by default, and I only noticed a few MB's of ram increase.

Ill keep you posted if anything changes, as of right now I am pro ABC + Protowall vs Azurues.

I have 512 of Rambus, Im not dying for ram, but im a stickler for having my system run smooth and fast. I dont like stuttering, or slower than neccesary startups.

With ABC + Protowall I save near on 40MB of Ram, 40MB which can keep Thunderbird and something else open all day if I wished. Or I could play games and dl torrents at the same time.

So you haven't had problems with memory leaks? I tried the very first release of ABC3.0 and it brought my system to a crawl... maybe I'll give it another go tonight.

EDIT: You shouldn't just be looking at how much RAM task manager tells you that the process is running. You should also look under the Performance tab at how much memory is available when you're not running anything, and when you've had your client running for a few hours.

i really like Azureus, but it is abit of a ram hog. I have a gig of ram so 65-95mbs isent a huge deal, but i understand all your guys points.

I like bitcomet its a nice application and makes the creation of torrents really simple aswell.

I do use peer guardian with Azureus so, i tend to just stick it out and use Azureus for the safty factor. However Bitcomet would be my prefered application.

|Drew|