GAIM vs TRILLIAN

Ctwizzy

Ok so I use MSN and Yahoo as I have friends on both, but MSN uses 11MB of RAM and Yahoo 21MB of ram. MSN also uses Java im told which further increases the amount of ram used (kind of dont believe MS would use Suns language tho)

So as to avoid this im looking for alternatives and saw GAIM and TRILLIAN allow me to have one chat IM rather than 2, and will use less ram.

So if anyone has any pros cons of the two Id like to know.

Thanks!

Well, the part about MSN using Java is crap... your intuition serves you well.

As for alternate chat clients, I use Miranda. It takes a bit of effort to get setup right, but in the end, you'll have a chat client that's completely personalized to your liking. Don't believe what people tell you that it's buggy... just stay away from IEView and you'll be fine.

Miranda is a nice app...haven't used it much in the past but its good and worth looking at.

GAIM is great...tho I have no idea if they fixed file transfers with it...only thing really holding it back in my mind.

I own Trillian and use it normally...and its really slick...but that being said...right now I'm having a hell of a time staying connected to MSN...normally not a prob, but right now its a headache. My version is 3.1...and from what I hear on its forums most long term user's say its currently best to stay with the 2.x release's.

Any ways my pick is Trillian...but MSN support is hosed currently.

Miranda is crap. And I am talking about their v0.4 release. I tried enabling multiple plugins, no go. Then when I got the tabsrmm plugin to work, it was buggy as hell and repeatedly crashed Miranda. File transfers also suck a**. it needs a lot of work.

I never used Miranda, I heard it was plagued with bugs and instability.

I tried Trillian a while back, I remeber it having trouble connecting to multiple networks, and being more complicated than Gaim.

I tried several other multi-im clients, such as IM2, GIM, Easy Message, but I still use Gaim. :)

Does Gaim support file transfer?

Somewhat, yeah. As of 1.2.1 The following is supported:

* Sending and receiving files on AIM (although it might be a bit buggy)

* Sending and receiving files on IRC

* Sending and receiving files on Jabber

* Sending and receiving files on MSN

* Sending and receiving files on SILC

* Sending and receiving files on Yahoo (sending is limited to an unknown file size)

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php#q30

1 day using GAIM and im sold. No longer will I use MSN and Yahoo.

Gaim is fast, clean and tabbed conversation windows!!!

File transfers work, smileys can be downloaded if wanted, and nudges. Best of all uses around 10-12MB of ram at most (as far as Ive seen).

I recommend this to anyone looking to ditch their multiple Chat Clients

gAIM is great for fast computers, but I would use something else for the slow ones...

I use Adium (based on gAIM) on my iBook and the real gAIM on one of PCs and it is absolutely great! I love the tabbed convos! :)

Are you guys aware that Trillian, as of this point, is at v3.1? I just wonder if you're complaining about an older version of the program... that's all.

I just tried out Gaim. Lean interface and nice operations, though 15 MBs of RAM... that's 1.5x as much as Trillian usage... no thanks.

So it's a twist between Miranda and Trillian and between the two I prefer stability so the winner is obvious.

@Nologic: Did u try to update Trillian recently? They updated the MSN client!

I'm using Trillian and beside the problem that the programmers are too stupid to support native windows skins (or i'm too stupid to find them) its ok. although the startup animation SUX on mylaptop b/c it uses some kind of hardware acceleration (**** - it's just a im client - no need for fancy fading u can't turn off!!!). Furthermore its crap slow (it looks like some basic app, has a non-intuitive customization interface,...) - but nevertheless - its imo the best all-in-one solution out there atm.

Are you guys aware that Trillian, as of this point, is at v3.1? I just wonder if you're complaining about an older version of the program... that's all.

I just tried out Gaim. Lean interface and nice operations, though 15 MBs of RAM... that's 1.5x as much as Trillian usage... no thanks.

So it's a twist between Miranda and Trillian and between the two I prefer stability so the winner is obvious.

has anyone else had this problem as well? I've been using Trillian 3.1 (not pro) on my laptop now for about 3 months and my biggest complaint is how slow it makes startup when i let it have autorun (otherwise i forget to turn it on lol :whistle: ). And tril's not exactly always that light memory memory after startup either. I've been considering gaim or something else, is gaim that much of a memory hog on anybody elses too?