Window title bar buttons hottracking

post-36858-1115668557_thumb.gif

While examining undocumented structures which are used by Eppie, i've found that standard Windows title buttons is also stored in strange blue-lighted state.

Is there any undocumented buttons behaviour or registry key that can make such effect - blue buttons? I remember i saw something like that, but i don't remember where...

Tihiy:

This might help. Another gem from Virtual Plastic. On this page they discuss a registry key that has some interesting switches, including one called "Mouse hot tracking effects".

I too seem to recall something else I saw a while back... hmmmm

Aha! Long ago, I tried a hack called Windows Administrator. It added Win98 features to Win95. It's the only tiime I've ever seen the 'hot tracking' or mouseover feature on the caption buttons. I downloaded the program and tried it but was not able to reproduce the effect. I had to use the Windows Version Changer to fool the program into thinking it was Win95 to get the program to make the changes. It patches USER.EXE and User32.dll, which might be of help to you. It's in there, somewhere.... I know it. BTW, where did you find that bitmap in the post above? Could the 'default' buttons be changed by replacing said bitmap?

Edited by nitebat

i tried that windows version changer but nothing shows up...i ctr-alt-del and its there and is not showning "not respondin" i use sp2.0 final..any tought why it doesn't work well ? i wanna enable hot tracking effects as TweakUI does nothing :(

Tihiy:

Aha!  Long ago, I tried a hack called Windows Administrator. It added Win98 features to Win95. It's the only tiime I've ever seen the 'hot tracking' or mouseover feature on the caption buttons.  I downloaded the program and tried it but was not able to reproduce the effect. I had to use the Windows Version Changer to fool the program into thinking it was Win95 to get the program to make the changes.  It patches USER.EXE and User32.dll, which might be of help to you. It's in there, somewhere.... I know it.  BTW, where did you find that bitmap in the post above? Could the 'default' buttons be changed by replacing said bitmap?

Yes, i can replace that bitmaps and it will be good if i'll be able to change them.

Which Windows Version Changer did you use? Mine?

Tihiy:

Yes, it was your Version Changer. Didn' know there were others. Anyway, I think the only way Windows Administrator can pull off it's 'mouseover' trick is to patch USER.EXE on a Win95 system. Don' matter really 'cause it Looks like one of those MS features that got lost in the shuffle. The code may or may not be there, but the bitmap sure is. Which 'dll/exe' did you find it in? You already do 'mouseover' in your LameSkin anyways. Is the technique transferable to the caption buttons?

If so, here's a sample:

captionbuttons.gif

Cut and Paste or get the original 24bit .bmp

I can scale them, put them in a strip, whatever's needed.

Tihiy:

Yes, it was your Version Changer. Didn' know there were others. Anyway, I think the only way Windows Administrator can pull off it's 'mouseover' trick is to patch USER.EXE on a Win95 system. Don' matter really 'cause it Looks like one of those MS features that got lost in the shuffle. The code may or may not be there, but the bitmap sure is. Which 'dll/exe' did you find it in? You already do 'mouseover' in your LameSkin anyways. Is the technique transferable to the caption buttons?

Yes, yes. Looks like it's just hardcoded patch for w95.