A couple of things

I had just came across this service pack for Windows 98 Second Edition and installed it after backing up my system.

During install the service pack attempted to install an older version of html32.cnv (Microsoft HTML converter) over the one on my windows 98 SE machine. Of course it did prompt whether I wanted to overwrite the newer version by the older one, to which I said no. The version I have is 2003.11.5510.0 which was obtained from the previous installation of SP3 for Office XP: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistan...1525351033.aspx I don't know if it is possible for you to extract from the SP3 download that particular file and add to your service pack.

The other thing I noticed after installation was that the system claimed that there where critical updates to be had from Windows Update, which of course there wasn't. I suspect that the critical update notification program got an update or a prompt to check at the Microsoft Windows update site.

However, keep up the good work. Look forward to the next updates to the service pack.

The other thing I noticed after installation was that the system claimed that there where critical updates to be had from Windows Update, which of course there wasn't. I suspect that the critical update notification program got an update or a prompt to check at the Microsoft Windows update site.

Sorry but I don't understand this comment ?

Could you send me your "html32.cnv" file? Thanks.

Sorry but I don't understand this comment ?

Could you send me your "html32.cnv" file? Thanks.

What happened was that after installation, rebooting a dialog popped-up indicating Windows Critical Update Notification and stated that there are critical updates and would I like to go to Windows Update to download them. I pressed OK and was taken to the Microsoft Windows Update site and the automatic scanner started to look for updates to install on my machine. Once the scanner was complete it claimed that there was something to install but the list of possible updates was zero, that is there was nothing to update.

I then returned to the Windows Update site and scanned manually to check for updates to see if there was an issue at the Microsoft web site. This second scan completed and showed that there were no critical updates to install (excepting non-critical language packs/menus that I don't need).

Hopefully, this is a bit clearer than my original brief garbled response.