XP Install Error: Cannot Copy Files

Meiapaul

I'm trying to install XP Home with SP2 OEM (purchased n one CD, not a slipstream) but I am getting copy errors saying some files cannot be copied or are copied incorrectly, starting with cyycoins.chm. It says it could be a CD error, but I've swapped the CD with a normal XP one, and tried different drives, and different hard drives, and now I don't know what to do! Here are my specs:

AMD 3500+ S939

Abit Fatality AN8

Maxtor 200Gb Sata

2x512Mb Geil Value Ram

Readon X800XT

Please help :(

well, thats very strange, have you tried installing it on a completly different computer, it might be a mobo problem...

also, its easy to overlook this, but have you done a Full NTFS format of the drive your installing to?

also if u overclock and your drive is sata it might become unstable and geting errors.

also scan your drive for errors from dos. or try with another cd/dvd-rom.

I've done a full NTFS format, yes, and I've not overclocked. I tried different CD drives also with no luck. I'll try on another computer later tonight and get back to you...any more ideas? I'll try anything :|

there is no way to do a low level format of a hdd other than taking a magnet to the drive, and that is definitlly not recommended, you could use the hdd manufacturer format/setup disk, if they supply one... for instance, WD supplies data lifegaurd which can be cd booted and then used to format the drive. but it sounds like formating isnt your issue, i would definitly try boooggy's suggestion though, you might have a corrupt ram modules... it would also be interesting to see if perhaps the problem is that the proc or one of the bridges is getting overheated, make sure you have proper cooling and ventilation

I'll buy a new ram module tomorrow, a good one like a 256Mb Corsair, but I don't have much money...I don't have any way to test my processor, but it has a thermalright XP-90 and its saying ~35C in the BIOS, so I don't think its a temperature thing. It could be damaged some other way, but I don't know how to tell...

scan your original CD with Nero CD-DVD speed 3, it will do a physical surface scan and a file by file scan and this will tell you if the CD is damaged or corrupted.It happenned to my Original WinXP Pro but luckly I had made an identical copy with Clone CD, and that came real handy.

Cheers

after my problems with this kind of stuff

60% RAM , 30% optical unit , 10% media .

I'll buy a new ram module tomorrow

I don’t know if your mobo has dual channel for DDR

but even if has, will work with a single chip inside

the probability than you purchase 2 bad chips

of memory are very low .

so , you can install/test one at the time your memories.

do not forget the media problems.

(edit) cheap price=cheap quality .

I have tried 2 ram sticks seperately, and it made no change. SO I think It will be my CD drive? I don't know why that would make it skip at the same point every time though...

second step would to be , of course , a test with another optical drive .

also , for eliminate SP2 problems

(in fact bios problems with SP2 and newest processors)

you can try to instal an old XP or XP+SP1 instead XP+SP2

if work , you need an update bios for your latest processor you have.

sp2 problems with bios??? never heard of this.....

and u dont have to buy a new ram just ask a friend to give u one to try and then if that is the problem buy a new one.

I tried with another optical drive, but it was the same problem, and the problem started with the same file, so I don't think its an optical drive problem. I have tried with an XP without SP2 CD, and I still got errors...what could it be?