Registry size?

terrypin

. Somehow the normal yellow folder tray icon has been replaced by the blue 'monitor' shown here:

The correct yellow one is still used in My Computer folders, as I've also shown in that same shot.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

About 2 1/2 months ago I had the selfsame problem. I've never used RegSupreme, and as mentioned previously have used RegSeeker a number of times over the past 2 years, but have only had this problem the once.

Unfortunately I can't offer a solution as I was so irritated by this behaviour I soon reinstalled the OS from an image made a couple of days prior. At times such as this I'm glad I make OS images at least weekly.

However, I did post the problem to a number of fora, but didn't save the responses.

Over the weekend I should have time to search these fora and will post here anything I find out.

2Terrypin: You must run it from cmd using command

cscript //nologo RegSize.vbs

OK, thanks. Did that, from the folder in which I'd placed the VBS file, but I just got:

D:\Docs\Windows Xp>cscript //nologo RegSize.vbs

==========================================

Computer: .

==========================================

D:\Docs\Windows Xp>

About 2 1/2 months ago I had the selfsame problem. I've never used RegSupreme, and as mentioned previously have used RegSeeker a number of times over the past 2 years, but have only had this problem the once.

Unfortunately I can't offer a solution as I was so irritated by this behaviour I soon reinstalled the OS from an image made a couple of days prior. At times such as this I'm glad I make OS images at least weekly.

However, I did post the problem to a number of fora, but didn't save the responses.

Over the weekend I should have time to search these fora and will post here anything I find out.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

4. This reply gave a method of using REGEDIT which gives significantly different sizes to those I had previously obtained [5 Hives Total 28576 KB compared with 63301 KB previous] and a link to "Dureg.exe - Registry Size Estimator". Here is a link to the forum :

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=13575&sid...88c005af0932316

_ _

I ran Dureg and got this output

D:\Program Files\Resource Kit>dureg /a
Size of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT   :   13651571
Size of HKEY_USERS          :   15707395
Size of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE  :   34282119

Total Registry data size:       63641085
i.e about                       62149 KB

Not much different to last report from NTRegOpt of about 55800 KB

But did you say you got the sum of FIVE hives?

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

4. This reply gave a method of using REGEDIT which gives significantly different sizes to those I had previously obtained [5 Hives Total 28576 KB compared with 63301 KB previous]

_ _

But did you say you got the sum of FIVE hives?

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Using REGEDIT "export to Win9x/NT reg format (choose this from the save as drop down box)." See AumHa post.

I haven't used DuReg yet.

[snip]

Sorted thanks, hopefully before you go to any trouble digging around.

I had a response in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize which happily got it fixed this morning. I'll paste it below for the curious and those perhaps ending up here on a google search over a similar problem:

-------

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe

In the right-pane, create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "TaskbarGroupIcon"

Double-click "TaskbarGroupIcon" and set it's value as follows:

%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe,13

Disable Taskbar buttons grouping and enable the option back.

-------

In my case I hit the immediate obstacle that I had no key called

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe

But I nervously created one first and then proceeded with the rest. Voilà - my yellow icon back again! And that's survived a reboot, so I feel reasonably confident it's sorted.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that key was one of the many that RegSeeker found. There were scores described as 'redundant' or 'obsolete' or words to that effect. I deleted all 5000 plus entries it recommended. There's bravado for you :) So maybe I will be encountering a few more quirks!

BTW, deleting those 5000 reduced registry sizes by only 1-2%.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Sorted ... 

-------

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think that key was one of the many that RegSeeker found. There were scores described as 'redundant' or 'obsolete' or words to that effect. I deleted all 5000 plus entries it recommended. There's bravado for you  :)  So maybe I will be encountering a few more quirks!

BTW, deleting those 5000 reduced registry sizes by only 1-2%.

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Glad to hear the problem seems to have been fixed relatively easily.

Upon consulting my records, and in light of your findings, I now think it almost certain the key was a RegSeeker deletion - I first noticed the wrong icon not long after making deletions with RegSeeker, but inexplicably didn't make the connection.

Coincidentally, there is a new version - RegSeeker 1.45 beta - available.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2579.html

and

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

At majorgeeks the download is regseeker.zip and at hoverdesk the download is RegSeeker.zip and is from the old 1.35 beta download link. However, after downloading and extracting each, I can say they appear to be identical.

Only a 1-2% reduction after 5000 deletions shows just how many entries are in the registry!