Windows 2003 remote login problem

1- For experiment lab at work, I have got Desktop server windows 2003 server, I was able to access the server from my laptop remotely (by using “Remote Desktop Connection” utility), I had enabled remote access feature on the server.

By the way,my laptop has win2003 OS with SP1.

2- Server on wired connection and laptop wireless connection, as I said I was able to access the server from my laptop remotely.

3- After one week I tried again, I could not access the server from my laptop, I thought the problem with my laptop, I tried my friend laptop (WinXP) I received same message:

“The remote computer has ended the connection”

4- I can ping the server, still I can access the server if I typed from run box:

\\ ip address of server\folder name

But I can not access the server via “Remote Desktop Connection” utility.

I disabled the firewall on the my laptop.

There are two principle ways of gaining a visual gui remote desktop in windows, one is via remote desktop, the other is with terminal services. the catch with terminal services is that you have to download some software from microsoft... here is a link from microsoft that goes to the terminal server homepage...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...es/default.mspx

i personally dont use it myself, i use DameWare, but from what i hear its about the same.

another thing to consider, is have you made any changes to the local or group policies that would stop requests eing sent for remote desktop connections. or stop remote desktops from being sent? or have you been removed from the terminal operators group? although if you have admin privs you have them...

Did you check to see if Remote Desktop was still turned on at the server?

BTW, Terminal Services and Remote Desktop work the same, ie... same port, same protocal and so on. If RD doesn't work, neither will TS. Some of the differences are: RD requires you to be an admin, TS does not. RD will only allow 2 connections, TS will allow as many connections as you have licenses for. You do not need to download anything from Microsoft to get TS working, but you will have to buy TS CAL's.

Now that I think of it, are you tring to log in useing an admin account or a user account?

And remote access is enabled on the server? Does it give you any error messages?

First let me double check with you about Enabling remote access.

Do you mean Right Click "My Computer"->Properties->Remote tab->check box "Enable Remote Desktop on this computer" ? If so, yes it is enabled, and there is no error message

under the GP, 'gpedit.msc', does the 'Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assesment\Allow logon through terminal services' contain the administrator group, you could also add the everyone group to see what happens.

also, 'Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assesment\Deny logon through terminal services', does it contain anything that it shouldnt, such as 'everyone' or 'administrators'

however, it would seem that if there are no error messages it might be a software and not a config problem, have you tried connecting to the server on a computer other than your laptop? Or tried connecting to a different machine with your laptop?

under the GP, 'gpedit.msc', does the 'Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assesment\Allow logon through terminal services' contain the administrator group, you could also add the everyone group to see what happens.

also, 'Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assesment\Deny logon through terminal services', does it contain anything that it shouldnt, such as 'everyone' or 'administrators'

1- I tried to follow up what you said, all has been set as you mentioned.

2- I added group "everyone", same problem.

3- I tried another laptop to access the server (before and I after I added group "everyone"), same probelm, by the way this the thired laptop I am trying include mine

have you tried connecting to the server on a computer other than your laptop? 

Yes as I mentioned in point 3 above

Ok, then, definitly a server problem; make sure that the following ports are not blocked by any firewall software, including windows firewall

Logon Sequence UDP:137,138 TCP:139

RDP Client TCP:3389 (Pre Beta2:1503)

ISAKMP UDP: 500

ESP IP Protocol 50

AH IP Protocol 51

Kerberos TCP,UDP: 88

This should ensure that all the ports you need are open, whilst you should actually only need TCP3389 open, you might need the LogonSeq and almost assuradly IPSec ports open...

After this, I'm out of ideas... you wouldn't have happened to have removed any software/configed DomainAdmin stuff would you have?