98se with sp2.0 pc begins fast rapidly slows down

Thankyou very much for the work that has gone into this

I was very impressed after installing it, programmes were loading faster and folders opening more quickly. :yes:

However within an hour or so of not too demanding usage each time I am down to a crawl and running out of memory and have to reboot.

I've noticed that since the install of 2.0 the disk cache size has been altered to

to min 8192

max 264415

do you think this is the reason ?

rgds

EDIT - I'm using a pentium3, 1ghz with 512mb [recognized] and plenty of free

HD space

However within an hour or so of not too demanding usage each time I am down to a crawl and running out of memory and have to reboot.

I've noticed that since the install of 2.0 the disk cache size has been altered to

to min 8192

max 264415

do you think this is the reason ?

Maybe. Could you revert back your cache settings?

Also could you list your major programs and their versions like Office 2000, IE ?...

Thankyou Gape

I've reset the cache with cacheman to the old min and max of 8192 which seems to have improved things, but haven't been on long enough to tell in the long run.

just a couple of hours now, mainly browsing and opening a few folders in explorer and typing, nothing heavy.

[i've tried numerous other cache settings in the past from reading up on it but non worked very well. As well as my usage I have to allow for my partner running Dragon naturally speaking voice recognition software in tandem with other programmes and this uses a lot of resources]

According to cacheman

physical memory available = 522736 kb memory free = 302112 kb

wintop indicates around 95% cpu idle

Here's my current processes:

Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk

C:\PROGRAM FILES\AGNITUM\OUTPOST FIREWALL\OUTPOST.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PROMON.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVGCC.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\\AVGAMSVR.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE

C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE

Outpost and avg are light on resources

We have Office 97 pro

my partner uses dragonpad and word a fair deal for dictation, but I only use Editpad lite which takes up negligible resources we don't use anything else in office.

I have applications such as nero and power dvd etc but they weren't being used.

rgds

Arrow:

I have a nearly identical setup (running processes). Not too sure what promon.exe is, process monitor? You however do not need to have avgamsvr and avgcc running in the background. I do keep avgemc running and have the resident sheild active. Some people say this is redundant, but I do it anyway. I do one check once daily for signature updates. You can test this by doing a search for eicar, which is a fake virus. Download the file and then try opening it.

Resident shield will pop up with a virus warning.

Arrow,

since you mentioned Office 97 Pro, you should install the Office 97 SR2b update to fix numerous problems with Office 97. SR2b requires SR1, so if you are using the original release of Office 97, install SR1, then install SR2b and then apply ALL of the post-SR2 security patches for Office 97.

good idea to not let parts of your antivirus software and changing disk cache size to improve performance.

I think I should change this MaxFileCache=524288 (512 MB) setting to 393216 (384 MB) or 262144 (256 MB). Because even on big memory systems, there's no need this big file cache.

I think I should change this MaxFileCache=524288 (512 MB) setting to 393216 (384 MB) or 262144 (256 MB). Because even on big memory systems, there's no need this big file cache.
May I suggest the alternative of completely removing MaxFileCache + MinFileCache from system.ini, [vcache] section?

In case u haven't seen, I got a guide @ my site:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip1.htm#THRASH

which among other things contains links to Rojak's Pot Disk Cache [VCache] Optimization guide:

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demon...mization_01.htm

and Chunk Size Optimization guide:

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demon...mization_01.htm

He seems to have performed extensive testing [back in 2001-2002 though, on older/slower computers with less RAM than ones today].

Anyway, our common conclusion is that newer PCs with fast CPUs, losts of RAM + fast HDs don't seem to need those system.ini optimizations anymore, and it's recommended to leave Windows 98/98SE/ME to do its own optimization.

Most of those system.ini settings were meant for Win95/OSR1/OSR2 running on slow computers with not too much RAM, and eventually 98 FE, but starting with 98 SE [+ ME] such system.ini settings are not needed anymore for the average user who bought/built a computer in the past 2 or 3 years.

Hope this helps.

May I suggest the alternative of completely removing MaxFileCache + MinFileCache from system.ini, [vcache] section?

MDGx, if you don't activate this setting (MaxFileCache), more than 512 MB RAM systems doesn't work properly.