98SE sp 2.0 problems

ok did what you suggested hit uninstall when it finished and asked if id like to reboot i said no and then restarted manualy

i then hit f8 and logged boot then when it wouldnt reboot normaly i booted in safe mode and moved the boot log to the desktop reinstalled the servace pack so i could boot normaly

then restarted here is the log

Looks like a driver issue. After uninstallation, could you re-install your VGA drivers (probably nVidia) on the safe mode?

well we are starting to get some where

it would definatley apper that the reboot problem is a result of a conflict with the grafic drivers when i removed then the computer booted as it should

only bad news is that as soon as i reinstalled the drivers the problem came back again and the computer wouldnt boot up so right now im sitting here with no grafic drivers installed

the uninstall has left another glitch

Clipboard1.jpg

note the lil black boxes that shouldnt be there

well we are starting to get some where

it would definatley apper that the reboot problem is a result of a conflict with the grafic drivers when i removed then the computer booted as it should

only bad news is that as soon as i reinstalled the drivers the problem came back again and the computer wouldnt boot up so right now im sitting here with no grafic drivers installed

the uninstall has left another glitch

Clipboard1.jpg

note the lil black boxes that shouldnt be there

Can you check these files:

USER.EXE, USER32.DLL, GDI.EXE, GDI32.DLL

What's their version numbers?

Do you seperate have AGP/mainboard drivers? Could you re-install it? (If possible don't uninstall it, only install over it again)...

Can you check these files:

USER.EXE, USER32.DLL, GDI.EXE, GDI32.DLL

What's their version numbers?

here are the version numbers

USER.EXE v4.10.2231

USER32.DLL v4.10.2231

GDI.EXE v4.10.2225

GDI32.DLL v4.10.2225

Do you have seperate AGP/mainboard drivers? Could you re-install it? (If possible don't uninstall it, only install over it again)...

????? no

normaly i just format the drive and install windows what are AGP/mainboard drivers?

normaly i just format the drive and install windows what are AGP/mainboard drivers?

OK.

Could you send me new BootLog.txt files?

One: After uninstallation graphics drivers.

Two: After reinstallation graphics drivers.

If possible.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

hi

sorry for not getting back sooner I've been trying to track down the cause of my trouble and I think it may be something to do with the nvidias graphic drivers

see I've had this annoying restart bug when I've had the sp installed when iv had only updates from the windows update sight installed and when I've just done a clean install with 98lite and had neither the sp nor updates from windows update installed

The only commonality all 3 times was the graphics drivers I had installed my best guess is that its either something to do with 98lite or my install using 98lite or a bug with there drivers because uninstalling then seems to have been the only way I've found to make the problem go away

if anyone can shed some light on this problem it would be much appreciated