98SE sp 2.0 problems

hi all

just updated to service pack 2 and after rebooting my system locked up as soon as it got to the desk top because of patch kb981711 I know that M$ say they have fixed this but they obviously haven't done a proper job of it because its still locking up my system I had to do a hard shut down and then reboot in safe mode and remove this patch before I could get my comp to boot properly

so I think you may want to look at this see if you can work out what's wrong either that or remove it altogether

also the uninstall routine still isn't working right when i try to uninstall my computer wont boot normally it will only boot to safe mode

finily the removel funtion for tweak ui dosnt work either i tryed to remove it and cant

is there any way to find out whats going wrong and way some sort of logging funtion or somthing ??

is there any way to find out whats going wrong and way some sort of logging funtion or somthing ??

Please try to check that the version of KB891711.EXE file in WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711 folder \is really 4.10.2223 and not 4.10.2222. I have seen one case where for unknown reason remained the old buggy one.

Petr

Please try to check that the version of KB891711.EXE file in WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711 folder \is really 4.10.2223 and not 4.10.2222. I have seen one case where for unknown reason remained the old buggy one.

this isnt the problem

Clipboard.jpg

see iv tryed the patch in the servace pack and off windows update both the first and second versions lockup my system im wondering if its somthing to do with firefox coz i say a note some where round this forum not to use this patch if your using firefox opera or myie

the question is why ?

also as to the uninstall prob i had a read round and saw a few posts mentioning the problem was to do with gdi.exe and gdi32.dll so after i tryed uninstall i tryed replacing these with the oridionals from the 98 disk using the system file checker file replace funtion and rebooted no joy so i think my uninstall trouble is a new problem the question is what ? oviously the servace pack isnt restoring somthing correctley on uninstall but im not sure how i find out what it is that is braking the uninstall routies

could it be somthing to do with 98 lite ?? im using the chubby install

also the uninstall routine still isn't working right when i try to uninstall my computer wont boot normally it will only boot to safe mode

What's the meaning of that? Can you give me more details? Did you get any error message?

hi

let me try to explain

what happens is uninstall the service pack once done the computer asks to reboot I say yes the computer shuts down windows and begins to reboot

this is where the problems start

boot process begins then for no reason at all the compute automatically restarts it self I then get an error telling me the computer failed to start up correctly and I'm presented with the dos menu where I can select safe mode normal logged etc

I select normal and again the reboot begins and again the computer restart it self and I end up back at the dos menu and the only way I can get back in to windows is to boot in safe mode

The only way to stop it from restarting its self during boot up so the computer will start up normally is to reinstall the service pack

as you can imagine thats rather frustrating

boot process begins then for no reason at all the compute automatically restarts it self I then get an error telling me the computer failed to start up correctly and I'm presented with the dos menu where I can select safe mode normal logged etc

I select normal and again the reboot begins and again the computer restart it self and I end up back at the dos menu and the only way I can get back in to windows is to boot in safe mode

Can you send me your BOOTLOG.TXT file? (Note that: this file logs your boot process, so it should be from unsuccessful boot.)

thats the problem i cant uninstall it becaues after i uninstall the computer wont reboot to finish the uninstall

see i hit uninstall the computer does its thing asks to reboot but then i cant get any further coz the comp keeps restarting its self and i can only get in to safe mode

thats the problem i cant uninstall it becaues after i uninstall the computer wont reboot to finish the uninstall

see i hit uninstall the computer does its thing asks to reboot but then i cant get any further coz the comp keeps restarting its self and i can only get in to safe mode

First, when the uninstallation asks reboot, don't accept it, reboot manually after completing the uninstallation.

After reboot, after immediately BIOS screen press F8 and select logged bot. And if it doesn't boot normally, restart your machine, and boot in safe mode, and save Bootlog.txt and Bootlog.prv files to another directory/partition, and send them to me.

ok did what you suggested hit uninstall when it finished and asked if id like to reboot i said no and then restarted manualy

i then hit f8 and logged boot then when it wouldnt reboot normaly i booted in safe mode and moved the boot log to the desktop reinstalled the servace pack so i could boot normaly

then restarted here is the log

Bootlog.txt