Transfer multiple CD programs to a DVD?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this.

I have Microsoft Encarta and some other programs that come on multiple CD's. When installing, I have to put in the first CD, then it asks me to put in the second CD and so on. Is there any way for me to take all the CD's for say Encarta and transfer them to a DVD and have it so that when installing, it knows all the data is on that one DVD (and it won't ask me to insert the second, third, and so on CD)? If so, how do I do this? Thanks for any help with this.

• 1 month later...

i cant give you a rock solid answer, but since no one seems to have a better one, you could maybe try this one,

the best thing to try is: extract all the disks to relevant folders and then depending on the file structure.....

if the program looks to a different folder on the next disk, leave the folder intact,

if the program looks for the next .cab file, place all the .cab files together in the same folder, that it looks for first (usually on the first disk)

so if 1.cab is in d:\1\cabs

then extract all the cabs to the same folder, that way the program will often look for thenext cab file and auto matically find it, and there for, wont prompt you for the next disk.

This works for most games, but im unsure about Microsoft Encarter, and until someone else gives a better suggestion, i suppose all you can do is give it a try, (you could maybe simulate it from your hard disk!)

Hope this helps, Steve

• 2 weeks later...

It will not work for microsoft encarta, the setup looks for diff. cd with unique cd volume lables. But since 2003 i have done with the following tricks:

1) copy all files together, "root-to-root", many files have the identical content, you can skip them.

2) text edit the file "\EE\ENCARTA\SUITECD.INI " to changen the reference of the files on cd 2/3/4/5

3) hex edit the file "L03DDXRC.MSI"/"L04DDXRC.MSI"/"L05DDXRC.MSI" (for the version 2003/2004/2005) to change the volume lable of disk 2/3/4/5.

4) burn the dvd with the volume lable of disk1

If you don't have so much competence like a hacker or experenced cracker, you can still do the following:

1) convert all cds into .iso image files by using e.g. ultraiso

2) burn all .iso file onto dvd

3) download and install the freeware "daemon tools", load the image files into the virtual drive.