Resolution/display Problem.

speedz

This sounds to me like a damaged monitor. (or a monitor running at too high a res... but as its happening in boot screens..)

I know this wont fix your problem speedz, but try your monitor on another pc if you can, it sounds like its busted.

sometimes you can damage a monitor by using too high a res and refresh rate on it.

also try this, unplug the monitor from the pc, have the power on and go into the monitor menu and hit "restore defaults" or restore factory settings whatever they call it on your monitor.

long shot but it might work.

also.. does your monitor work fine on another pc then or not?

Did you try putting your xp cd in before boot up,it may recognize the media,before anything else?Also since it is an older computer as you stated,the graphic card may have been damaged,if not the monitor as FthrJack stated. :santa

Didn't overclock my video card. I think the monitor's dammaged, it was but at too high a resolution my a dumbass friend...

Tomorrow, I'll try the monitor on another pc.'

I do hope there's something wrong with the pc and not the monitor.

That way, i'd have a excuse to get a new mobo & proccesor.

EDIT: Can u really ruin your monitor just by using too high a refresh rate?

Is it an AGP card or a PCI card? If it is PCI, try a different slot to see if it will go to default resolution set by Windows. If AGP, try to borrow someone elses card of a different make then go back to yours. *shrugs* Otherwise, borrow another monitor and see what happens.

Can u really ruin your monitor just by using too high a refresh rate?

Yes a moniter can be run at a damaging resoultion and refreash rate.....but i havent heard of it happening from just setting it there..it tends to happen from extended use at a res and or refresh rate the moniter is not capable of handeling....

=Drew

Drews right, but it can happen. id suspect that its that or the graphics card. it might not be permanent, the graphics card might just be stuck in that res, taking it out and putting another in might solve the problem once you put they old card back in it could well be sent back to defaults as was posted earlier.

Speedz,

My suggestion was already mentioned by FthrJACK. This would definately tell you if it was your monitor or your card

id suspect that its that or the graphics card. it might not be permanent, the graphics card might just be stuck in that res, taking it out and putting another in might solve the problem once you put they old card back in it could well be sent back to defaults as was posted earlier.

Ok. Tried PC on a 19" monitor that works perfect.

I got the same problem.

:)

But the graphics card doesn't come into use right away. A system should be able to load the bios and windows w/o the graphics card.

P.S. I have a radeon 7500 built by powercolor. I'll have to try it on my athlon...

The graphics card comes into play before anything else that shows on screen, if you have a decent card with its own flashable bios you will see the Bios version and card make pop up before you motherboards bios info on screen.

Well, now we know its not the monitor, your card is either damaged or locked into a setting too high for your monitor to handle, i would expectthe bios screens to still show at least as they are usually at very low res and refresh rates, so it is possibly damaged. What card is it?

My powercolor radeon 7500 wasn't working with xp before so i went for help on the powercolor site.

They stated that in order for the drivers to work i'd have to change the grphx card bios.

So I did.

They sent me to a bios designed for a all-in-wonder-radeon 7500.

It worked fine for a month.

Could the problem be the grfx card bios?

If it was working before it can't be the bios because that can't just kick in and stop working. I still don't fully understand what's happening, to my knowledge you see the dos part fine but then when windows is loading it goes bam! black screen and ur pc turns off.. correct?