[Help] - Windows XP Home wont install

Envoi

yep - let us know how that flashing lol goes :)

It could well be the key.... I'm hoping for you it is lol I hate it when this happens.

If no luck, then annoyingly, if u have another board of the same model, you ...er...may want to try that as beardedwonder says, it could well be a problem with the motherboard.

Too lazy to scroll but did you say you've tried another same spec'd CPU? Have seen them come on before and come up with odd things randomly like this, and after a CPU swap, its been fine too.

*sighs*

All the best mate.

N.

<SIGH>

Well, flashing didn't do it either.

I don't have another CPU or MoBo lying around, unfortunately.

My next course of action will be to swap the PSU. Someone on another board mentioned that they've run into compatability issues with Antec and Abit. So it's worth a shot. Hell, dancing for the machine is worth a shot at this point.

If the PSU doesn't fix it, I'm gonna have to look into getting the CPU and/or MoBo RMAed. The thing I hate about doing that is it will be a couple of weeks of me just waiting; not being able to do anything. GRRR. :angry:

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate all the help so far.

-- Kris

UHHGGG!

Flashing didn't do it. I'm to the point now where I'm gonna have to buy parts to swap in. I want to try PSU now, but I don't have an ATX 2.0 compliant PSU lying around. Can I use a non 2.0 PSU and get awy with it?

What is it that this board needs that the ATX 2.0 PSU gives it?

<sigh>

I am definately gonna lose money in this system. This is making me so mad.

BTW: yeah I did try a different HDD.

Thanks so far though guys,

--Kris

I just bought the AN8 Board and I am having same problems as you. Can not seem to install windows. Goes to the GUI and freezes. ONe time it went to 9 min left and just stayed there. Another related problem I am getting is that a message popes up when it loads up all the files and says can not find certain files and they are random for every install I do. Like cant get certain cab file and says that I need to put the windows cd in the cd player and hit enter. So I hit enter and continues on the installation until at some point it stops. I even tried windows 2000 and same thing. I have an Antec PS so I might swap it and see if that helps.

Yeah I haven't swapped out the PSU yet cause I don't have another 2.0 PSU.

I have ordered another CPU though awhile. I figured that is going to be the most costly component for me to replace so I'll get that out of the way now. Or I'll take my losses now, whatever. Either way I'lm taking a hit on this system, :angry:

I'll let you guys know when I find the miracle cure.

-- Kris

:rolleyes: i sometimes couldnt install xp pro sp2 with a similar error using new installion so i installed my trusty 98se first then did a new installion of xp on top of it and it worked .wierd .hail hail bill what was he smoking.lol

@Envoi:

As mentioned, try installing a different OS - 2k, ME, or 98SE - and see if you can get all the way through that install.

As Inforit (welcome to msfn Inforit :))

is having the same trouble with the same motherboard, perhaps its a faulty batch of motherboards maybe :S

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer about the situation?

(I know this probably won't be the easiest thing to do - I tried with Gigabtye - 8 motherboards getting very hot lol and no response. I guess I was unlucky. Duron 1.2 & amd approved HSF - was/is very odd indeed)

You have connected the ATX12V1 connector right? (just looking at the layout - downloaded the manual - but wish I'd looked at it right at the begining) If that isn't connected, the CPU won't get the power it needs and will cause the system to freeze btw - I've heard of the machine powering on and looking fine without this connected but then of course, not working properly lol

The connector is by the uGuru chip - top-center on the board.

Regards (and I'll keep thinking),

Nath.

I used windows 2000 install and windows xp 64 bit with the same driver.cab not found please insert cd. I thought the cd player was faulty but I have a dvd player as well and same problem. Always stops on that file and sometimes other once too and sometimes not. Tried swapping ide connections and memory and no go. I might have to swap the PSU and see if the antec psu is giving the trouble. I wish there was an error message of some kind but I get nothing. If it goes to the gui it seems like the os is installing because it gives you those list of features and talks about the product, so its not freezing but it just not installing.

Hate these problems. I had 3 abit mb and had no problems. now with the 64 chip maybe its time to go for an Asus board. Let me know if you find a fix.

i can tell you sp2 home wont install on that computer because you have to update the bios,there is a known conflict with sp2 and the hyper transport on the cpu. you can go into youre bios and select the limit cpu id max val and set it to enable until you upgrade the bios.

Hey, thanks for all the input guys.

Firstly, yes. I did try a different install CD. It was still XP home but it was SP1. Same problems.

Also, I do have an upgraded BIOS installed.

I've got a new CPU ordered. It's a different model. We'll see if it works. I should have it by Wed.

And the ATX12V1 is connected correctly.

I'll keep you guys posted.

-- Kris

Exchanged the PSU and moved around things and got it to the last install part which is the saving mode and 3 min left it shuts down and reboots. I try to fix the files in safe mode and it loads up drivers, stays in dos mode for a bit then shuts down again. I really do not know what to do anymore.