Abit Fatal1ty AN8

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Antec TruePower 2.0 TP-II

1GB Corsair DDR400 Dual-Channel

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB

ATI Radeon X700 Pro

LG 16X DVD-ROM

Problem:

Windows XP Home w/SP2 will not install. I have ran into every error I have found on the net and some. Most of the time the install process is incredibly slow and eventually stop at some point. Unfotunately, that "some point" isn't consistent. Sometimes it will stop in the DOS setup at copying files. Other times it will creep its way through the DOS setup and freeze somewhere in the GUI setup portion. I've tried TOO many BIOS settings to list here but they range from simply loading optimized and fail-safe settings to setting the RAM voltages to manual and choosing new voltage settings (which was one fix I found on another board). But NOTHING has worked, yet. I thought the HDD was to blame, but knew that in order to send it back I'd have to get a PowerMax error code. Well, the HDD passed both the quick and advanced PowerMax tests. I've removed everything that is unnecessary from the system and have changed the IDE ribbons. I have even tried using a different copy of Windows just for giggles and it still ran into the same problems.

This system is for a client and I am exhausted. I've tried everything I know and things I have just read. ANY input will be greatly appreciated. I've already lost money and time trying to fix this system and I can't keep this client waiting any longer. Heck, if I didn't think it would be against the forum rules I'd post a reward for the fix. :-) Please help.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

-Kris

Windows XP Home wont install

Have no idea if this will help your problem, but I did an install once that kept crashing when installing from CD, but completed successfully by copying setup to HDD, booting from floppy and running "winnt.exe" setup from c:.

Like I said, no idea if this will help, but if you are grasping straws.....

EDIT: You did check for bios update, right?

Yes, did check for BIOS update and there is one available, but the changes to BIOS didn't sound like they'd help this issue. However, flashing is on my list of things to try.

No floppy in this system. In fact, I don't even think I have one laying around anymore. But, I will add your fix to the end of my ever growing List of Things to Try. I'd just have to run out and get a FDD. BTW, you had to install your HDD in another system to copy setup, right?

Thanks a lot for your post dman.

-- Kris

No, I just boot from floppy and xcopy /s the cd to HDD (if you had a floppy). If you have 2 cd roms you could make a dos bootable cd and boot from one and copy from the other. if only one cd, make a dos bootable disk with setup files on it. Installing drive in other machine to format and copy like you say would work just as well, then you just need boot cd.

Edit: thinking on it a little more, if you do put it in another box to format and copy, you could also sys at the same time. boot from floppy to sys if your box is xp. then disk will boot itself. XP will just ask if you want to replace previous OS.

I do have another Optical Drive I could use. I'll try that then dman. Thanks again.

Thanks Ge0ph for that obvious reply. (I'm not being sarcastic) Really, thanks. I don't know why, but I haven't run memtest yet because I was thinking it was windows based. I'm 90% sure that's on the UBCD.

I'll be sure to try run that when this install inevitably fails. :no:

-- Kris

****, i hate these types of issues because troubling the problem is always a guessing game at this point. the problem to me sounds like a hardware issue and i would first start with the memory. if it passes diagnostics then its a 50/50 chance of the motherboard and processor. i had an issue similar to this not that long ago and i chose the processor. after i swapped it, it worked rock solid again, however if after i would have swapped that and it still would have been failing i would to have had to swap the motherboard. also dont be to quick to eliminate the powersupply, if you have a spare one swap it out first and try that.

it could be a simple overheating problem also, if your lucky. check the fan is properly seated on the procesor.

your on the right track eliminating all your extra pci cards, though to bad it wasnt one of them that was causing the problem.

Yes, good point about memory test. could also just be a matter of cleaning the ram card edge and reseating. same with processor, cards and cables. Like you say, is guessing game with random lockups. I would also flash to latest bios.

Thanks for the reply gigabitfx. I have considered the PSU and I have a good one lying beside the PC. However, it's on the bottom of my List of Things to Do because I had a mother of a time getting the main power to sit on the pins on the MoBo. I wiggled those cables back and forth ever so slightly until my thumb bled. I never had such a hard time with snapping that bad boy in. I'd hate to have to go through that again for nothing.

As far as heat. I fixed that issue early on. I had to take off that lousy excuse for a thermal pad and put on some better compound. I've been keeping tabs on it and heat has not been an issue so far.

I'm running memtest86+ as we speak and I'll let it run through the night. I talked to my client and she is understandibly frustrated but, also, is being very patient and understanding (thank god).

As for me, I'm going to bed... :wacko: I've got a head ache.

Thanks for everything so far guys.

I'll keep you posted.

-- Kris

I have had success in cases like this is to turn off the computer with the switch on the case.

Wait 30 seconds and turn the computer back on.

Might have to do this a few times.

worth a try.

Setup:

Abit Fatal1ty AN8

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Antec TruePower 2.0 TP-II

1GB Corsair DDR400 Dual-Channel

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB

ATI Radeon X700 Pro

LG 16X DVD-ROM

Problem:

Windows XP Home w/SP2 will not install.  I have ran into every error I have found on the net and some.  Most of the time the install process is incredibly slow and eventually stop at some point.  Unfotunately, that "some point" isn't consistent.  Sometimes it will stop in the DOS setup at copying files.  Other times it will creep its way through the DOS setup and freeze somewhere in the GUI setup portion.  I've tried TOO many BIOS settings to list here but they range from simply loading optimized and fail-safe settings to setting the RAM voltages to manual and choosing new voltage settings (which was one fix I found on another board).  But NOTHING has worked, yet.  I thought the HDD was to blame, but knew that in order to send it back I'd have to get a PowerMax error code.  Well, the HDD passed both the quick and advanced PowerMax tests.  I've removed everything that is unnecessary from the system and have changed the IDE ribbons.  I have even tried using a different copy of Windows just for giggles and it still ran into the same problems.

This system is for a client and I am exhausted.  I've tried everything I know and things I have just read.  ANY input will be greatly appreciated.  I've already lost money and time trying to fix this system and I can't keep this client waiting any longer.  Heck, if I didn't think it would be against the forum rules I'd post a reward for the fix. :-) Please help.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

-Kris

Hi there.

Sypathise with you, coz like all of us, I hate these type of situations too.

First off, updating the BIOS is a must if you're having a problem. You may find that if there is a bios update, it may cure the problem as I had all sorts of hell with one motherboard and memory - but once I updated the bios, windows installed fine and touch wood, the machine is working fine in one of the classrooms.

Certainly do it sooner than later, or you'll be kicking yourself if it does work lol

If that doesn't cure it, and althought its been mentioned already, you should test the memory too using the above program memtest86 - is handy to see what the output is.

Also, try resetting the bios (yep, again) and making sure that the timings of the RAM are relaxed as the RAM appears to be a stock/value PC3200 from Corsair (as you haven't shown the timings of it) and as suggested, reseat it physically too.

Regarding the PSU, what watt rating is that? I only use Antec stuff generally in making up PC's as they never let me down and are good system's - both the cases and PSU's. I doubt its a PSU problem, unless it aint feeding the system enough power of course. An underpowered machine is a unstable machine as we all know ;) You may have a duff one tho so i guess its worth a change to see.

Looks like a nice setup - the mag I get has been mentioning (and half mocking) Fatal1ty and his branded stuff - and some of it looks nice.

You didn't mention what "some" of the messages you've been having are? Got any to hand?

um... I hate morning's so I'm fully 100% or I'd have more stuff to say but let us know how you get on and I hope the motherboard's firmware update is easy. Just make sure that floppy disk hasn't got any bad sectors on it ;):D

Lastly (for now) - when you say "different copy of Windows" you're refering to a different CD media or different OS? In any case of those cases, it rules out the CD but like mentioned doesn't rule out the drive. I hate DVD-ROM drives - loads of them (both new and old) have given me hell when installing windows so its worth a try.

Just try a good quality CD-ROM drive for now or lol if you don't have any, a decent working CD-RW drive is worth a try too :)

Hope this rambling helps you a bit and if no-one has said it already, welcome to MSFN!

Regards,

N.

Thanks a lot for the replies stanstan and it_ybd.

Firstly, I've tried the switching off of the power supply. First just to see if it would help then to clear CMOS a couple times. No help, though.

The PSU is a 480W. There are actually two opticals that will be in this system and I've switched one for the other but to no avail.

Ran memtest86+ last night. It ran through almost 10 complete passes and no errors. But, I did swap out that RAM for 512MB of working Samsung ddr266. It seemed to help during the DOS portion of the install. The "copying files" section went faster then I've seen it go, yet in this system. However, it locked up at 39 min left during the GUI portion of Windows install.

Flashing BIOS is in the works now. Just gotta find a darned floppy and a FDD.

Oh yeah, about the RAM settings. I've done everything; auto settings, "By Spd" settings, manual stock settings, manual relaxed settings, raising voltage to 2.7v and bringing the other setting they mentioned to 1.35 as per Corsair, but nothing.

I really haven't recieved any messages, per say. I've, mostly, been sitting through ridiculously slow file copies just to have it freeze up during that process or wait until the GUI portion to hang. It's hung most often at 57% of the way through "Copying files" during DOS install, and 39 or 34 minutes left to go during GUI install. I have had the HDD disappear once or twice, but an "auto detect" in BIOS fixes that. That's about the size of the problems. No real "messages", unfortunately, to unravel.

But like I said, flashing is next on my list. I'll let you know how that goes.

Wish me luck.

Thanks again,

-- Kris

If the problem is RAM or the CPU, you'd probably see similar problems doing other things. Is there another OS on the system, and does it act normal? A PSU problem or overheating would usually result in unexpected shutdowns/restarts, though they could cause other problems; you'd probably notice that the system works better when it's been off for a while in this case. The only other things that come to mind are the media - the discs you're copying to and from. Since you've apparently tried the HD already, are you sure the CD drive works right, and the CD isn't defective?

Thanks for the reply HyperHacker.

I have tried two different Windows install disks and two different optical drives. No changes though.

No there isn't anything on the HDD at all (poor thing has been through more reformats than... heck I don't know).

Overheating was my first guess, I was getting some higher reading than I'd like. 48C - 50C before I removed the thermal pad and used coolermasters compound. Now it runs at about 46. Big whoop. I've read quite a few complaints though on the Abit forum about the Fatal1ty BIOS reporting higher than actual temps. So once I get my OS up I'll see what Motherboard Monitor has to say about that.

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm off to flash.

-- Kris