New ideas for the next version

Gape 

post May 4 2005, 12:14 AM

So your opinion is that SESP2.0 can be installed at any stage - either immediately after fresh install of bare Windows 98 SE or on a system that is several years in use with many programs installed and all files will be in the desired state? If yes it would be great.

I highly recommend that this pack should be installed on a freshly installed Windows 98 SE, if possible.

My opinion is that SESP 2.0 can be installed at any stage, too. We tested it on many systems, and on many cases. But I highly recommend that you should take a backup, if you have old Windows 98 SE installation.

Hello from Romania. You guys are the best. And I found this forum by chance last night/morning... and I am very happy ... I have been searching for it for a long time..

I am a fan of 98SE and I allways try to stay in touch with the security updates for IE6SP1 and Win98SE itself even if I use IE only 10 times in a year (Opera rules!). I had (and I still have) a measurement for the patches I applied to IE6: it's Help-About.

Did you ever notice that if you apply the patches ... as many as you have (Qxxx ..) tha OK button of the Help-About in IE6 dissapears?

I have my record of 33 listed patches but I believe that the number might be greater because after 33 listed patches there is no more space to list them !!

All patches manualy installed and your Unofficial SP after all (no OK button!)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bogdanhorodi...a30.jpg&.src=ph

All patches manualy installed and your Unofficial SP after all and another package (don't remember the name) at last (OK button appears now!)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bogdanhorodi...c17.jpg&.src=ph

Questions:

If I install the Unofficial SP2.0.1 after a freshly installed Windows 98 SE - will it display in IE6 Help-About all the patches: "sp1; q..., Q... ..." and if YES how many will the should be?

The same questions for the patches for Win98SE itself - listed in msinfo32.exe - Software Envionment-Software updates (personal record - 23 as I remember)..

Waiting :whistle: ... Bogdan

want to have winXP/2k style icons, use the Revolutions pack...

Yeah, i want XP theme, but not 98SE2ME !

Revolutions Pack isn't the same as 98se2me...

-and, why don't u want 98se2me? It's AWESOME! the stability increase! improved functionality, etc... -don't let the "ME" scare ya, it does NOT bring any of the infamous windows ME bad stuff... it's ALL GOOD STUFF... -fixed/newer/better versions of 700+ system files. :w00t::thumbup

-patchworks:  98se2me isn't required for Revolutions (only IE6 is), tho it is recommended...

But, note that RP contains original Windows ME files.

-ah, I wasn't aware of that (I don't use RP, never cared for XP's look... find it rather annoying, actually... I just tweak out the colors/fonts/etc in win98, looks pretty cool to me...)

>;]

note that RP contains original Windows ME files
that's the reason i asked XP theme in uSP ! :lol:

Anyway i'm pretty sure that XP icons are patented, so i think another way is to get a cool XP-like patent-free icon set. Here are some links (personal use is free for all)...

DRL WindowsXP Visual Style (cooool !!!) download it now

Fast Icon's

Yahir Vite's

...more @ InterfaceLIFT

And from Wesley Parish' editorial @ OSViews:

MS Win98 users... I've got good news for you. ReactOS' cmd.exe works in Win98, and it's a lot better than command.com. So if you are tired of mucking around with the Windows command line but still need to use it, download the ReactOS LiveCD and copy cmd.exe to the C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND directory. You'll be glad you did.
ReactOS Nightly :w00t:

Finally, already suggested: Windows Explorer Patch (256 color TrayIcons)

Edited by patchworks

patchworks, please notice because most icons you suggested are 32-bit versions only, they won't display propertly without RP.

note that RP contains original Windows ME files

If you won't install Shell Update original ME files won't be installed (except MSIMG32.DLL but you can skip it if aren't using LameSkin)

As for really something useful, I think additional property sheet page with icon-changing ability for folders/files will be useful; i remember IconPackager from Stardock can do it but it is shareware; are there any free analogs?

I think I can name two things that should be in the new Win98 Service Pack.

Either the WinXP, or WinME System Restore, or WinME or Xp Pinball. Since I have XP right now (and hopefully I get 98SE soon, becuase my XP got the FLA worm on it), I could send Gape the files, and the registry if needed. (Note: I'm just a newbie, and I don't know what been added to it, or what's been going on here, so I'm giving out ideas that could be in the new service pack.) Thnx! :)