New ideas for the next version

I have NO problems whatsoever using iprop.dll from NT4 SP6a under my WinME computer and my neighbor's Win98 machine.  so to me, it's pretty much safe to use it.  No, newest IS the one from NT4 SP6a.  I interpret iprop.dll from NT4 SP6 as version 4.00.1381.0326 and iprop.dll from dcom95/dcom98 as version 4.00.1381.0004.
I'm puzzled.

Please tell me, what criteria do u follow to interpret those builds the way u do?

BTW: those builds were reported by GetVer:

http://lbrisar.htmlplanet.com/e_cmd32.html#getver

1 thing I've noticed is that DCOM + NT4 builds are smaller in size than 98 + ME family ?!

Also, from looking at the date stamp, the newest is from ME ?!

Still puzzled... :wacko:

Dunno if it's a blasphemy here, but what about Ieradicator ?
It has been ruled that this evil heretic shall be thrown into the deepest dungeon where he shall be tortured for the rest of his unworthy days. :lol: :lol:

DMABufferSize=64

MinSPs=8

Disable Screen Saver When Disk Defragmenter Active

Well, seems really few tweaks.

Check out these (i know you already know them):

WinGuides' Tweaks for Windows 98

Griffin Digital's Windows 98 Optimization Guide

Getting The Most From Windows 98 - Tweaks and Shortcuts!

Optimize Settings

...and many more !

Why not adding these tweaks too ?

DMABufferSize=64

MinSPs=8

Disable Screen Saver When Disk Defragmenter Active

Well, seems really few tweaks.

Check out these (i know you already know them):

WinGuides' Tweaks for Windows 98

Griffin Digital's Windows 98 Optimization Guide

Getting The Most From Windows 98 - Tweaks and Shortcuts!

Optimize Settings

...and many more !

Why not adding these tweaks too ?

What tweaks do you consider to be useful for everybody?

I think you will hardly find some.

Petr

Optimize Swap File Performance

Optimize the DefaultRcvWindow & DefaultTTL Settings

Speed Up ISP Logon Time

Faster Modem Dialing

Change the Size of the Virtual Disk Cache

and mutch more !

Do you know WinBoost, Window Power Tools tweaks ?

There are many interesting settings for everyone !

What about adding a registry clean before/after the installation ??

http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

Optimize Swap File Performance

Optimize the DefaultRcvWindow & DefaultTTL Settings

Speed Up ISP Logon Time

Faster Modem Dialing

Change the Size of the Virtual Disk Cache

and mutch more !

Do you know WinBoost, Window Power Tools tweaks ?

There are many interesting settings for everyone !

What about adding a registry clean before/after the installation ??

http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

These optimizations are user/configuration specific and may or may not work in specific case. This is nothing to add to generally used service pack. Therefore I asked you if you know any optimizations that will work for everybody, and if not help, then will not make things worse.

* Optimize Swap File Performance => This setting is already present in SESP since version 1.0 but there were long discussion if it is good idea recently - it is recommended only in case of 128M+ RAM.

* Optimize the DefaultRcvWindow & DefaultTTL Settings => connection specifc. I was not able to improve the speed on any connection (modem dialup / 1M ADSL / LAN) anyway.

* Speed Up ISP Logon Time => This is user specific, automatic change of current dialup connections is not very clever idea. How you would distinguish cases when ''Log on to network' is required and when not? How you would distinguish cases when IPX protocol is required and when not?

* Faster Modem Dialing => shorter DTMF tones may not work everywhere.

* Change the Size of the Virtual Disk Cache => this is black magic, but it is already present in SE SP anyway. You may read long discussions about the right setting here.

Therefore I asked you - what enhancements are safe enough to add them always, or at least in easily detectable cases?

Petr

Edited by Petr

One tweak i think usefull:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlFileSystemCDFS

Set the right size cache for modern cdrom (Microsoft permit only cdrom 4x and above!?!)

OK.

And what do you expect from Service Pack?

To retrieve the inforormation about the speed from CD-ROM, to detect the memory available and then calculate the suitable CD-ROM cache, and then ask if the default value should be overwritten?

Do you really think that this should be the purpose of the Service Pack?

I don't think so, maybe Gape does, he is the autor, this is just my opinion.

Petr

This is not primarily a "TWEAKING" of 98se, this is to fix what should have been fixed by MS & to make 98se a more stable platform. If you want to tweak, go ahead & tweak to your content, but at the same time realize that not everyone wants a tweaked out ver of 98se.

Don't complain about the cook unless your ready to do the job yourself! :P

It' s only my hasty suggestion. I think the tweak usefully but I continue to modify myself registry if it isn't. No problem.

I'm thinking about sp add new option in configuration cd cache menu that could be "CDROM 8x and above" to modify value in the registry. It isn' t a difficulty registry modification, I think. Nothing must be detect, only a new value that can be set by user.

Today I think the oldest cdrom drive is the 8x/12x. 2x/4x/6x cdrom drive is only available in dump (I have a 2x drive in a drawer :whistle: ).

Speed Up ISP Logon Time

Faster Modem Dialing

If I recall the modem dialing speed is a HAYES command you type to your modem and while the command is generic to virtually every modem, it's possible it could break dialin for some users who's phone system may not support faster dialing.

Plus it's not Gape's job to play with your 3rd party hardware settings, his ONLY concern imho is finding & applying updated 1st party Microsoft DLLs (and other files) and putting them into Win98. And from time to time making a registry change that improves performance for the majority of uesrs.

Having Win98 SP2 playing with your modem settings makes as much sense as the SP2 playing with your printer settings. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if he set your default print mode to "draft" because it printed faster. These kinds of settings are user prefrences that DO NOT benefit the whole.

Ideas like these would tant the SP from being a really nice security & minor cosmetic Service Pack (see the SP there????) to a SP with junkware/abusive settings.

Anything wierd or add/on should be optional at best, and imho Gape should offer two SPs, one with the addon-ware (ex: notepad replacement) and one without (official MS updates only, no 3rd party).

The only thing I've seen around here that's both 3rd party and worthy of being installed by default is the newer Defragger as it supports HDs larger than the tiny limit Win98 was originally written for.

Edited by Rhelic

Gape,

Considering registry changes that relate to swap file performance, like how long to hang onto DLLs and other settings directly relate to the hardware specs to decide if such a change will speed up a PC, I was thinking perhaps your installer should simply do a cpu/ram check and spit out registry updates accordingly.

As a more specific example:

I'm sure somebody here can figure out some more solid numbers but to state what is probably the obvious, on a system with a limited amount of memory (under 32megs) it would be best to unlead DLLs asap, while on a system with a satisfactory amount of ram would be best to hold on as long as possible as the benefit of not having to re-load a DLL from the HD would outweight the 1 or 2 megs ram out of a setup with more than enough ram for Win98.

Edited by Rhelic

...and what about XP icons/colors instead (or, in alternative) of 2000 ones ?

That's what the Revolutions pack is for... Gape's 98SE unofficial ServicePack is a set of Microsoft-issued updates for Win98SE/Me. It's not an add-on pack for Win98SE users. If you want to have winXP/2k style icons, use the Revolutions pack...