New ideas for the next version

I'd like to see some serious work put into some of OS/hardware limits we're bumping against, like getting 98se to accept 2gb of ram, 137gb hdd probs and such. I think this would help move 98se more into todays technology :D Gape & all involved, many, many thanks for the improvements in the OS you people have sweated over :thumbup

Yes, I want to break these limits, too. Both of them are very important.

I'll try to find a solution for the both problems.

I think you should leave out all notepad replacements.

Everybody knows that windows notepad sucks but I don't believe that your service pack should install a replacement.

A lot of people think that Internet Explorer sucks.  That doesn't mean that your service pack should install Firefox or Opera.

On my computer, I have UltraEdit installed.  In order to get UltraEdit to be the default editor in applications that have "notepad.exe" hardcoded, I've installed a stub application (provided by the UltraEdit guys) called notepad.exe that just launches UltraEdit instead.  I don't want this stub application overwritten by the service pack.

Krick, thanks for your comments. I think to replace this Notepad replacement with my old Notepad patcher. Maybe, it was wrong idea.

Note that: Metapad is optional, so it will not overwrite your stub application, if you don't select it.

So it should be installed right after an OS is installed? I could have sworn I read somewhere I was to install after updates and such...oh well!

As for suggestions, I have only one:

Anyway to disable the random reboot questions that Windows sometimes throws up? Not the one at the end of course, but I've had a few occassions where one or two steps into the install it asks if I want to reboot. I'm sure it's cause the computer is messed up, but still...anything? Maybe AutoIT scripts or something.

And I forgot to mention that it's a great application, thanx you ever so much for it. Sometimes I forget how much time developers put in and how little thanx you get ;)

Unload DLLs from Memory

I think this "fix" would be a bad idea as you shouldn't punish the majority beacuse the minority run 16megs of ram. Now-a-days, it's pretty easy to gather 32 or 64 megs of memory for the old Win98 boxes.

I'd like to see some serious work put into some of OS/hardware limits we're bumping against, like getting 98se to accept 2gb of ram, 137gb hdd probs and such. I think this would help move 98se more into todays technology  Gape & all involved, many, many thanks for the improvements in the OS you people have sweated over
Agreed.
Yes, I want to break these limits, too. Both of them are very important.

And what about trying to break the 64K fixed limit of resources ? What a pity I can't run more apps simultaneously because of it. If it could be only doubled to 128K it would be super bonanza already.

As well I thought about an add-on pack with all the good MS freebies from the resource kits, kernel toys, power toys, preptool, etc.. some of which aren't on the 98SE CD and none on the ME one.

As well maybe would be interesting to have a solid pack of additional runtimes that are commonly used such as VB, MFC, Borland, etc.. and whose versions are known to be the most stable on 9X, etc. I think I have noticed that sometimes the latest aren't the best on 9x nowadays. It will probably become more and more true as times goes by. I think such a pack should be a one click one should be able to overwrite any newer file version. It would include WinPcap which is a must install on a 9x system as well I think.

Another idea would be to have a one click up to date multimedia runtimes pack including all the additional freebies such as the video encoding tools and maybe some more such as the Quick time and Real players as well as some open source filters (ffdshow notably and maybe some free DVD playback filters and Asio drivers) but including WMP 9 only optionally.

eidenk

including all the additional freebies such as the video encoding tools and maybe some more such as the Quick time and Real players as well as some open source filters (ffdshow notably and maybe some free DVD playback filters and Asio drivers) but including WMP 9 only optionally

You want to make the SP bloat to 100Mb or what?

Freebies and media stuffs are a good idea, but they should come as a separate download.

Also such packs is often populated by obsolete codecs and softwares. That's why the Nemo codec pack project was abandonned.

No, I beleive SP should focus on "invisible" system improvement.

Instead of including hundreds of freebies, an htm file with links to their download location, and some description would be nice.

Gape

I wanted to say that poeple on the verge of running SP should be told of making sure:

-they get the original w98se installation CD-rom (if not they shouldn't even consider trying SP)

-they get all their hardwares'driver installation disc

-they get a bootable floppy

-they backed up crucial datas on an external device (CD-R)

-maybe some other "paranoia" stuffs

Then after running the pack, be asked to check for conflict and system performance.

(You remeber the problem I had with the IDE?)

Notepad2 is a good replacement too.

Personaly I still prefer Metapad and metapad is also smaller, but Petr should check if it has the font display problem or not.

Check also the opening speed for large files (+-1Mb)...as it can differ dramaticaly from one program to another.

:P i think 15-20mb is plenty twice ive had to download sp 2.o on dialup like 3 hrs whoa doggy beside if theirs no ie 6 or mp9 etc then i see no bloat thou id lov a sp with above in one easy to install exe .dare to dream .gape your sp2.0 works perfectly .

just an opinion - I think that the Service Pack for Windows SE should not be collection of freeware applications.

I have no idea why you decided to add Metapad to the final release.

There are thousands of similar possible replacements and it may be created some option pack with selectred applications - but in Service Pack?

That is a general rule that should be followed, but I think we should allow exceptions to that rule in rare situations where we can get a big majority to agree upon something. Making the freeware/opensource extras optional during install is the way to go, but I think all of them already are optional arent they?

Krick, thanks for your comments. I think to replace this Notepad replacement with my old Notepad patcher. Maybe, it was wrong idea.

Note that: Metapad is optional, so it will not overwrite your stub application, if you don't select it.

I personally prefer the patched notepad with the extra shortcut keys from rc3, mainly because it will stop everyone from arguing about what text editor to include.

Another idea would be to have a one click up to date multimedia runtimes pack including all the additional freebies such as the video encoding tools and maybe some more such as the Quick time and Real players as well as some open source filters (ffdshow notably and maybe some free DVD playback filters and Asio drivers) but  including WMP 9 only optionally.

Check out the K-Lite Mega codec pack...

http://www.codecguide.com/