Outlook woes

jorsak

#1. Not a novice. I do this for a living.

#2. I am not an anti-microsoft tech but there are days when I just want to go postal on them.

Here's my problem:

I upgraded a client from outlook express to outlook 2K. Imported all their mail, contacts, etc. Everything went fine.

I sent and received a test mail... all's well.

Then the client asked, "Why doesn't the name pop up when I start typing an e-mail address."

"Hmmm... don't know.. it should default to that setting on", I reply. Let's check. There's no box for "Suggest names while completing To, CC, BCC" to check. It's normally under tools > options > e-mail options > Advanced e-mail options.

I check the web to make sure I'm not crazy. It's supposed to be there. I'm am crazy but right.

I then updated all the service packs, etc etc. Still... no box to check to "Suggest names..."

Ok... I'm tired of messing with this. I install Office XP. WAHOO!!!! I now have the box to check to suggest names and it is already checked like I thought it should be.

STILL NOT WORKING! Here's where it gets real fun.

Now... If I type a partial part of the display name (I.E. "Joe") and click on the "Check name" icon, it immediatly resolves my display name to the proper e-mail address.

Now for even MORE fun...

If I then type Joe it automatically completes the e-mail address... WAHOO!!! It's WORKING!!!

UNTIL.... you close outlook. As soon as you close outlook, you have the same problem all over again. Once you "Check name" it remembers to autocomplete the name until outlook is closed again.

Anyone who can solve this gets a $20 and a round of beer at any favorite bar next time they're in Houston, TX.

If I'm posting in the wrong place, then someone just shoot me now... cause I get tired of trying to make sure it's posted in the righ tforum only to have some wise guy point out that I should have posted in..... X.

Thanks in advance for any brilliance or general humor that someone might find / add to this dismal situation.

• 3 weeks later...

This may happen if a users has entries in his / her address book without display name. It may happen that OL does not update its cache with these entries. Try resetting the cache.

How to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623/

Automatic completion function may not resolve addresses to names in the cache in Outlook 2002

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;292882

Hope this helps with your "dismal situation."

Good luck

I just did it. Should that now fill the stuff automatically or do I have to type everything out 1st or select them from the list for the auto part to work.

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem with one of my users. Thanks for the info enuffsaid, I followed the links and tried the steps suggested. When doing a search for the .nk2 file extension (searching *.nk2) it is not returning any results. No files with the .nk2 extension. I am searching through all hidden files and folders, and have checked under the application data folder and am still not finding anything.

I even tried creating the file, calling it profilename.nk2. Still no good.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.