Including updates in SP2.exe

sdaviswnec

i was looking around and might have missed it but i was looking for a way to include updates in the XP2 installer file so that on my existing systems i would be able to just install the update(s) once instead of downloading them all on each system or using the windows updates.

any ideas or did i just miss the post?

thanks

What i was looking for tho was an update to the installation file, not the CD. i have a lot of installs of windows XP SP1 and i want to be able to just run the SP2 installer and update the desktop with SP2 and the recent updates...

is that possible? or do i just use the XPSP2CD?

I think i understand what your saying...

You're after something similar to RyanVM's update pack.

So that you can go to a machine, detect what hotfixes are missing, and install all the hotfixes, not via windows update, but automatically of a cd or network share right?

Well - I'm in a process of working on something just like that, only it wont be happening that soon i doubt.

You may want to use RyanVM's update pack - I dunno whether it can be used in this fashion as I don't use his stuff, great as it is :)

PM if u want to stay in touch on this one.

Regards,

N.

My stuff's not designed for the application you want, sdaviswnec. Your best bet is probably just a batch script which runs sp2.exe followed by any other hotfix EXEs you want and then restarts.

Simply download all the updates off of microsoft's download site that every machine is missing, burn them on a CD, and install them. Or just load them up off the network.

Thanks for the help all...

what i ended up doing was using RyanVM's package and putting it on an XPSP2 CD. then from that i "upgraded" a PC with it and it seemed to work, PS(it was missing 2 of the updates) but that worked.

the problem with the individual updates is that it always asks to reboot or whatever and with 20 updates after you do SP2 its kind of a pain.

It seemed to work fine...

After i did the first run-through i i /include ed the newer updates on the CD that i created using RyanVM's stuff...

can that cause a problem?

thanks!

You dont need to restart your machine after every update. Only updates listed on microsoft's site that specifically say that they MUST be the only updates installed you need to do that with. So that means you only need to restart after installing a service pack. Most other updates can be installed all on the same session. So basically what you just did was a more complicated way to solve your problem.

need a chat option on this board.. hehe...

so is there a way to batch all of the updates together so that it runs one at a time?

all i really wanted was a way to include the hotfixes into the sp2.exe file...

I'm not really sure, I know for a fact there is a way though. Because if you can slipstream Windows with a service pack, and a bunch of other updates, then it must be possible to slipstream a service pack with some updates.

Edit: Didn't realise i'd taken so long to reply to the post:

After i did the first run-through i i /include ed the newer updates on the CD that i created using RyanVM's stuff...

can that cause a problem?

thanks!

if you're refering to using this updated cd to reinstall windows over the top of itself (???) then yes, it can easily cause a problem - I cant comment regarding ryan's pack and what you have done. Thats for him to say hehe

As a rule, you should only reinstall windows over itself if there's a problem and you have no other way of fixing the problem. I haven't needed to do it for about 9 months - and I help a retailer lol It doesnt affect my fulltime job as the info on the client machines are expendable.

Some times, you can render a happy-working machine into a messed up OS.

I could be wrong of course, but its just my opinion.

As pointed out, get all the updates since SP2, create a batch file that will install them unattended (i.e. using switches, it work restart and you wont have to click next, I agree, etc.) and finally restart the PC.

What I'm working on is like this but with a few bits that do more than just this ;)

Regards,

N.

lol maybe - but not for this solution.

Quicker & possibly easier ways to be had.

I've seen many pc's mess up after a in-place reinstall of xp when they were at least working in the first place.

Also, it can cause some programs to stop working. AV's can mess things up, etc. which is of not good if all you wanted to do if you update windows hehe

But it "can" in some cases.

IMHO

Regards,

N.