Basic functions just stopped functioning

Been running Win2k PRO SP4+updates for 20days straight now. But 2days ago I found a strange error. The CTRL+ALT+DEL or CTRL+ALT+ESC doesn't function anymore, Scheduled Task wont engage when specified to...

SO I thought that keyboard shortcuts just don't work, but they do.Since Win+E still opens Explorer.exe!

I checked the error logs, the services.msc, Antivirus, Adware and found that there is absolutly nothing wrong.

I'm sure that a simple restart of the OS would fix all the problemes but I would prefer not having to restart the OS because of this.

Hard core problem solving doesn't work these days .... it's lot easier just to restart OS then to look for the cause unless it's repeated problem ... anyway, I doubt that you will find any1 who can give you a hint why this happened :)

Klasika

I thought so too

Well I guess since this problem isn't as severe as it is a pain in da butt I will restart the server when the time comes (eg. M$ updates requiring a restart :realmad:) And this is the 1. time that has happened in over a year.

btw. If any1 has some bright ideas on this topic pliz share

Individually, anti-spyware programs wont "get" all of the spyware.

In many cases, you need to run (and update the definitions of) the following:

- Spybot - Search & Destroy

- Ad-aware SE Personal (which you have)

- Microsoft Antispyware

Also, you may need to use CWShredder - if it crashes when you run the Fix, then you know you have spyware as the spyware causes it to crash cleverly lol

For protection, in addition to Spybot [immunize] & MS Antispyware, SpywareBlaster is the best at blocking the infections before they do anything.

Once you have done that lot, then you should be clear of spyware lol and can pretty much say there's no spyware on the system :)

Regards,

Nath

I can safely say the my OS is ADWARE free.

But it still didn't help my problem.

SO I had no choice left except to restart the server which I had to do a hard restart since the SHUTDOWN command wasn't functioning at all. Well at least now all is well.

Tanx for your efforts

uf, my OS was spyware free even be4 I checked him with SpyBot,MS ANTISPYWARE, cos they haven't found anything. I guess 4m tha ADWARE cleans everything out.

I guess I'm lucky cos I rarely get any serious spyware and almost never get a virus.

Probably cos I don't click and DL everything :P

ps. MS SPYWARE worked perfectly on Win2k. And why shouldn't it...

Huh. You talk about Win2k PRO, then mention you use it as a server you can't easily restart.

Win2k PRO is not meant as a server product, but a workstation one. From experience, it may not be up to the task of being left on for over a week. Memory leaks are rampant (not that there aren't any in the Server versions, there are...), plus, the mixed use of it as a workstation AND a server is calling for trouble. There are some third-party drivers (such as graphics, keyboard, etc) which are clearly not stable enough for this task.

small question but isnt there:

- 2000 Server

- 2000 Professional

- 2000 Professional Server?

Or am i confused because I haven't really used any of them? lol

BigDaddy:

Adaware isn't a cure all - its good, but in the past, no single product has got rid of all spyware on certain machines I've fixed thats all :)

Regards,

N.

Huh. You talk about Win2k PRO, then mention you use it as a server you can't easily restart.

Win2k PRO is not meant as a server product, but a workstation one. From experience, it may not be up to the task of being left on for over a week. Memory leaks are rampant (not that there aren't any in the Server versions, there are...), plus, the mixed use of it as a workstation AND a server is calling for trouble. There are some third-party drivers (such as graphics, keyboard, etc) which are clearly not stable enough for this task.

For my type of LAN it works perfectly:

network.jpg

I don't know what kind of memory leaks are U talking about, for me it works for a month without a problem. And this computer isn't only used for Filesharing and Internet sharing, it is also used for encoding DIVX movies, or DVDs along with eMule or Torrents running all the time. So I must say that it's VERY STABLE